• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    I come across a paul knife made by gerber,didn't know anything about it or have ever saw one before, but i liked the looks of it so i bought it for 30 bucks.The knife is mod.2 p m micarta handle and unused with the plastic box.Dose anybody here know about these knifes?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I come across a paul knife made by gerber,didn't know anything about it or have ever saw one before, but i liked the looks of it so i bought it for 30 bucks.The knife is mod.2 p m micarta handle and unused with the plastic box.Dose anybody here know about these knifes?

First of all, your Gerber Paul knife is very collectible. Paul W. Poehlmann left Gerber some time in the late 90's and Gerber discontinued the Paul knife. Gerber Paul knives will bring $150 to $200 plus depending on the handle material that is being used. I strongly suggest that you keep your Paul in mint condition and not use it.

A little history behind Paul W. Poehlmann and the Paul knife:
    Paul W. Poehlmann received a patent for his axial lock folding knives in the mid 70's. This new lock design was revolutionary. The axial Lock was amazingly smooth when opening and closing. Nothing this smooth in the knife industry existed and it set off a flurry among most of the major knife companies to achieve one-handed opening without violating Paul's patent. Paul W. Poehlmann left Gerber in the late 90's and in the either 2001 or 2002 hooked up with Lone Wolf knives and continued to design knives for Lone Wolf. Note: Lone Wolf knives was formed/started by former Gerber employees.
    Last year (2010) Benchmade bought out Lone Wolf Knives and continues to use Paul's designs under the benchmade name.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Thanks for your reply,sounds like i got a good deal.It will be going in the safe.

I have never understood the concept of safe queens...if I own it it is going to get used. My customs are worth far more than the Paul is worth yet they go in my pocket for daily use just like my $30 Case knives do. I have no desire to make some collector happy years after I am dead. I take good care of my knives and don't abuse them but they do get used.

Carry the knife, use it, and enjoy owning a nice piece of gear.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have never understood the concept of safe queens...if I own it it is going to get used. My customs are worth far more than the Paul is worth yet they go in my pocket for daily use just like my $30 Case knives do. I have no desire to make some collector happy years after I am dead. I take good care of my knives and don't abuse them but they do get used.

Carry the knife, use it, and enjoy owning a nice piece of gear.

While I respect the fact that you have every right to do with whatever it is you own. In the collecting world most collectors try and keep whatever it is they collect in the best condition possible. In other words they don't use it or put the collectible item in a situation that would lend it to wear or damage. You won't see a coin collector carrying around a Carson City silver dollar...I'm just saying. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Agree with Brad on this - If I was ever lucky enough to own a Jay Fisher knife - it sure as heck wont be found where it can be damaged. Even his "working knives" are too collectible to use, I think... but hey, to each their own.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Some people value their collectibles more than others obviously.

I guess that's why you don't see a classic car collector driving their vintage cars for eveyday usage. Whether it be a classic car , coin, stamp, or a knife. I appreciate the fact that they are collectibles and should be treated as such.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i kinda agree with 451, i'm sort of a collector but i use all my stuff. i'm the same with my expensive guns. i wouldn't buy a knife for the purpose of putting it in the safe. but my dad does and thats his choice he buys them for there beauty where as i buy them for there beauty and functionality :) they are extremely nice tools for me

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i have one i'll never carry

IZULA USA Freedom Commemorative Edition Knife - ESEE Knives

2 (or more:rolleyes:) i cant carry
    AUTOMATIC KNIVES
    Buck 560 Double Action Prototype

quite a few that i WANT to carry(but cant afford)
    Chris Reeve Knives For Sale - Chris Reeve Sebenza Knife - Chris Reeves Knives
    Strider Knives

and about 15 that i can, and have carried, everything from a
    Kershaw Chive Blue Black 1600BBCKT
    to a
    Spyderco Endura4 FRN

BUT THE ONLY ONE I CARRY NOW IS A
    ESEE Knives

i can see why some people collect, but if i own it...i'll carry it (as long as i can carry it legally!)

NOW all we need to do is get indiana to make it where we CAN carry a auto knife

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I see the beauty in functionality... I prefer to use rather than collect. It was how I was brought up.

I can see how someone would treat a knife like a coin collection but that is not my style. Jay Leno is a good example... he drives every car he owns and he owns some crazy expensive cars. Then he rebuilds them and drives them some more.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I guess I just don't understand how you can get enjoyment out of something that will always live in a box in a safe, unseen, untouched, and unused. If I were to marry Miss America you better believe I will be consummating on a daily basis!

Question for the collectors of safe queens...

Who are you keeping the knife (or gun or whatever) mint for? Your kids so they can sell it? Some collector you will never know? I don't get it...does it give you a sense of pride to say "I own something I can't ever use."?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I guess I just don't understand how you can get enjoyment out of something that will always live in a box in a safe, unseen, untouched, and unused. If I were to marry Miss America you better believe I will be consummating on a daily basis!

Question for the collectors of safe queens...

Who are you keeping the knife (or gun or whatever) mint for? Your kids so they can sell it? Some collector you will never know? I don't get it...does it give you a sense of pride to say "I own something I can't ever use."?

I collect knives (both safe queens and users) for the enjoyment of collecting...the challenge of finding that one knife to complete a set...the enjoyment of being around people with the same interest as you..the satisfaction of putting a deal together and of course bragging rights when you end up with that special knife.:): As for the "safe queens", I enjoy just having them and getting them out from time to time and just looking them over. When I leave this world, I really don't have anyone that I can leave my collection to. I have thought about this for awhile and my plan is when I get old/older, I will start selling off my collection to fund some of my retirement. I would hope that the person that ends up with any of my safe queens will enjoy them the way I have over the years.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    there are users and there are collectors.

each has their own needs and wants. each has their own money. give each what they want, independant of the other.

and then watch them fight on the interwebs! or go make more knives.........

Top Bottom