• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Since yesterday was such a nice day and I had not been to the range for a bit I decided to visit the local range with some friends. We did not have much time so I took my .380 and 9mm handguns to shoot. I set both the .380 and 9mm ammo boxes on the bench and began shooting between the two guns. Some time goes by and we are wrapping up the shoot. I decide to load another mag before we leave and shoot the 9mm some more. To my surprise I get three failures to eject in a row. I was a bit puzzled as this could not happen to my XDM 9. I look at the extractor and it appears to be fine. Then my buddy starts laughing and has to mention that his Glock does not fail. He takes a quick look at the gun and spent shell casing and he realizes that I am shooting .380 ammo in the 9mm. Doh! I can't believe I missed that.

So in summary, .380 ammo does shoot in a 9mm XDM but it does not eject very well. Oops.

Surely I am not the only one that has done this? Anyone else do something similar?

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    always wondered

The .380 round and 9mm are fairly similar in size except for the length. I would guess that the .380 is about .015" smaller in diameter. The empty .380 shell casings were slightly expanded after shooting of course.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WOW!:eek:

Y'ALL BE REAL CAREFUL ABOUT GOING TO THE RANGE WITH A 20 GAUGE AND A 12 GAUGE.

IF YOU GET THAT CARELESS WITH SHOTGUN SHELLS YOU'LL BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF!:nono:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do you speak from experience? :):

Nope, still got my head.

A 20 gauge will slip partway down the barrel of a 12 gauge.
    The gun goes click, you open the action, and it looks empty.
    The next 12 gauge shell will chamber and fire against the bore obstruction of the 20 gauge shell.
    As an added bonus, the pellets of the 12 gauge may set off the 20 gauge shell.

"Some learn by reading. Some learn by watching. Some have to whiz on the electric fence for themselves."

I read.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Just this month, we have had three incidents of 9mm in .40 or .40 in a .45... Gotta pay attention, particularly if you have not consolidated calibers.

We've had the .45 GAP in the .45 Auto type of situation before. Like mentioned, it worked but not ideal.

People trying to shoot .22 LR in a .22 Mag, thinking it was akin to shooting .38 in a .357... Also, someone bringing out .357 Sig to try to fire it out of their .357 Mag revolver (bought the ammo at wal-mart, so I can understand that the goon at the counter likely screwed this up for them).

Doug, HOLY SMOKES! :D

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guess I sounded a little harsh.
    AND, I guess it won't "blow your head off."

It's just that the whole idea of mixing ammunition just scares hoodly-skoodoo-boop out of me.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Many years ago a friend and I were at a local outdoor range. He was shooting an AMT Backup when it made a funny noise. He had got a round of 32ACP mixed in with his 380 ammo. No damage to pistol or shooter but it just goes to show that it can happen.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I've seen what happens to an 870 when you shoot a reload with double Powder. The receiver looks like a used Banana. His wife was rhe one that fired the round. Turned a real nice 870 Trap gun into some expensive Junk.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    Question?
    In the random ammo stash my mother passed along to me, there is a box labeled ".380/9mm Browning". Is this the same as .380 ACP? Will it run through a .380? Or is this something I should pass along/get rid of?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Question?
    In the random ammo stash my mother passed along to me, there is a box labeled ".380/9mm Browning". Is this the same as .380 ACP? Will it run through a .380? Or is this something I should pass along/get rid of?

380 auto is the same as 380 ACP, 9mm Browning, 9mm short, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Corto... I think I may have even missed a few names....

The true question would be - is the ammo contained in the box what is reflected on the label?

Just try to not confuse any of those with 9mm parabellum, or 9mm luger....

Last edited:

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Now, I'm going to have to dig out my mic. I thought 380, 9mm, 45, etc. always spaced on the front of the casing since there isn't a 'rim' to speak of. I thought the 380 would just fall into the 9 chamber.
    What am I missing?

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    BTW, at an auction Sat. I saw a guy lump boxes of 32 auto with 32 Winchester. I told him they were not the same, but he was so wrapped up in it, I didn't bother to open a box of each and show him.

Last edited:

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Nope, still got my head.

A 20 gauge will slip partway down the barrel of a 12 gauge.
    The gun goes click, you open the action, and it looks empty.
    The next 12 gauge shell will chamber and fire against the bore obstruction of the 20 gauge shell.
    As an added bonus, the pellets of the 12 gauge may set off the 20 gauge shell.

"Some learn by reading. Some learn by watching. Some have to whiz on the electric fence for themselves."

I read.

This very nearly happened to my friend when rabbit hunting with a 16 gauge shell. 16 is more dangerous than 20 in my opinion because it's harder to distinguish from 12 gauge.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am ashamed to say this happened to me with 9mm and .40. I only fired one round and was completely puzzled when it FTE. It bothered me for a long time. I was in a hurry and shooting the last rounds of the day. I guess the lesson to me is to take my time. Being in a hurry while handling firearms is a very bad thing.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Now, I'm going to have to dig out my mic. I thought 380, 9mm, 45, etc. always spaced on the front of the casing since there isn't a 'rim' to speak of. I thought the 380 would just fall into the 9 chamber.
    What am I missing?

Those rounds DO headspace on the front of the casing and a .380 WILL drop into the 9 mm chamber.
    The extractor will hold the case against the breechface firmly enough to allow the firing pin to fire the shell.

Top Bottom