• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I have an HP 1350 all in one printer that is probably 10 years old and is acting up .

The paper tray can be completely full but the paper will not feed . I've tried varying the amount of paper in the tray but it doesn't make a difference .

The printer makes a noise like it's trying to "grab" the paper but it doesn't feed it and I get a pop up telling me to insert more paper(even if it's full) and try again .

Anyone know how to fix this issue ?

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    sounds like the rubber rollers aren't catching. they usually pop out & can be cleaned using several different methods. I would try water first, then rubbing alcohol. If that still doesn't work you can try some rubber re-grip, although I have seen any around lately.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    sounds like the rubber rollers aren't catching. they usually pop out & can be cleaned using several different methods. I would try water first, then rubbing alcohol. If that still doesn't work you can try some rubber re-grip, although I have seen any around lately.

Did not know that , thanks for the tip .

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Do you have long haired pets in the house? I've had Golden Retrievers for years and their fur always ends up in a printer. A few hairs on the rollers and they won't grab. Gotta keep it cleaned out.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

th_whs.png

The only thing I would add is that it may not be necessary to remove them to clean them. Most printers, if you are gentle, will allow you to slowly rotate the feed rollers. Just make sure its unplugged when you do it. If they need to be in a certain position to start, they should return to that position when it is plugged back in or when it tries to feed the first time.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I would almost bet you money that it is the rollers. Cleaning might help, I even have some rubber rejunivator wipes that help (but they stink badly), however once they are worn smooth, the roller will start to slip again soon. New ones are not expensive, can probably find them on ebay for a few bucks. They have a slight "tread" pattern that helps grab the paper and will make a huge difference.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You are paying more in ink than the price of a new one. Go to frys and buy what's on sale. When it runs out of ink, throw it in the trash and go back to Fry's. Repeat as necessary.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    You are paying more in ink than the price of a new one. Go to frys and buy what's on sale. When it runs out of ink, throw it in the trash and go back to Fry's. Repeat as necessary.

Unfortunately this is a very valid point.
    I went to WalMart tonight to get a replacement ink cartridge for a Lexmark printer I've had for a few years. It's been burning through black ink cartridges (I barely use it for color printing) and I'm not sure why. I figured I'd get another color one while I was there too.

A black cartridge and a color cartridge added up to $38.
    A new HP Deskjet 1000 printer, including a black cartridge and a color cartridge, was $29.

No brainer. :dunno:

My Lexmark will be going to Goodwill on Monday.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    Unfortunately this is a very valid point.
    I went to WalMart tonight to get a replacement ink cartridge for a Lexmark printer I've had for a few years. It's been burning through black ink cartridges (I barely use it for color printing) and I'm not sure why. I figured I'd get another color one while I was there too.

A black cartridge and a color cartridge added up to $38.
    A new HP Deskjet 1000 printer, including a black cartridge and a color cartridge, was $29.

No brainer. :dunno:

My Lexmark will be going to Goodwill on Monday.
    :hijack: you can go to printronic.com and order refurbished cartridges for cheap. i have and hp photosmart and i order color cartridges for around 10 bucks and black for around 5 bux........

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Use an old toothbrush to clean out the pieces inside. This method has worked great for me on several printers. Check the the joints where the interior pieces move and scrub them.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I cleaned the all of the rollers and it still won't feed the paper .

Any ideas on what it would cost to fix or should I get another one ?

With printers at the cost they are now, it is always cheaper to buy new than to have someone fix it. I used to work for Geek Squad and we wouldn't even take them for repairs. There are probably places you could go to have it fixed, but after cost of parts and labor, you're going to be exceeding or coming close to the price of a new one.

Top Bottom