• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guyinwarsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2013
    near warsaw
    I'm thinking of buying a PCP air rifle with out a pump. Can someone tell me if the high pressure pump I have for my mountain bike suspension will work to pump up this type of air gun? Thanks

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    No, it would need an adaptor and the volume of the pcp's tank would take forever to pump. I think it may fall a little short in psi as well, we are talking in the 2000 psi range. I would use and would reccomend at least a SCUBA set up.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I use a scuba tank. After the initial expense of the tank, it is relatively cheap to get refilled and keep up to date. The air from the scuba tank is dry and that should be good for the air gun. This article will tell you all the ins and outs of PCP: Pilkguns

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    carbon fiber tank is the only way to go, IMHO. look for fire extinguisher service in your area, see if you can find a retired fire tank such as Scott Air Pak. it holds 4500psi.

the life span of the vessel regulated by DOT is 15 years for these tanks and most of the fire dept will retire them after 7-9 years. to have them refilled, they need to be re-certified(hydro statically tested) every 3 years. if you have it tested right before the vessel expires, it's still good for another 3 years.

and, don't forget, not all PCP guns are created equally. some use a lot of air, some are very efficient.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    carbon fiber tank is the only way to go, IMHO. look for fire extinguisher service in your area, see if you can find a retired fire tank such as Scott Air Pak. it holds 4500psi.

the life span of the vessel regulated by DOT is 15 years for these tanks and most of the fire dept will retire them after 7-9 years. to have them refilled, they need to be re-certified(hydro statically tested) every 3 years. if you have it tested right before the vessel expires, it's still good for another 3 years.

and, don't forget, not all PCP guns are created equally. some use a lot of air, some are very efficient.
    There are two concerns I'd have about a Scott Air Pak. The first would be the amount of pressure, i.e. 4500 psi compared to 3000 psi for a scuba tank. I would think that one would need a regulator for the Scott to bring the pressure down so as not to harm the air rifle cylinders or the rifle itself. I use a scuba tank without any regulator and it works fine. The other issue, not really that important, but for convenience sake, is I like the flat bottom of the scuba tank so it can be set upright and used from that position. If getting a scuba tank, I'd opt for the DIN valve instead of the K valve. The DIN works with the adapters that come with the air gun directly. The K valve needs an adapter that costs about another $50.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    you will not need a regulator to fill your gun from Scott Air Pak, you do need is a fill whip. I got mine custom made, cost about $90 10 years ago, all stainless steel with Foster fittings, bleeder and the newer line is rated for 13,000psi. there's a built-in pressure gauge on the AirPak, so is one on your gun. the way you fill it is to crack open the tank valve slowly, just to let the air barely passing through the check value on your gun. at the same time watch the pressure reading on your gun.

the key idea is to fill it as slow as possible. fast fill= lot of heat = less volume.

mine is hand operated, no tools needed.

P1000866.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks. I had NO IDEA that air rifles came that big with that power. Bet that .458 has some pretty good noise with it, BUT I would have to think long and hard about taking on a bear.

He only opens the lottery for builds every 8-10 months. For a couple years now I haven't managed to win the lottery to get on the list, but I want one of the .458 Quackenbush pretty bad.

Guyinwarsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2013
    near warsaw
    Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at Crosman. I don't know a thing about this type of gun. So, I'm still researching and asking questions. Will the tanks that can be bought and filled at a place like Northern Gases or Purity work with these guns? IndyGunWorks that is a fine looking air rifle. Is that the price?

Top Bottom