• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lcole1969

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2016
    Elwood
    I have three PCP air rifles, have condor .22, a custom .308, and a Benjamin maurader. I do have a HP hand pump for back up but use a couple scuba tanks. To fill my tanks I bought a HP air pump called a shoebox compressor.......hooj it up to a 100psi compressor and it puts out to 4500psi.......my 308 shoots a 171gr. Bullet off of 4500psi......they are really nice to play with, the condor is suppressed due to sounding like a 22 rimfire....

lcole1969

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2016
    Elwood
    If you plan on shooting alot check out the shoebox compressor it's salty but will save ya in the long run. Plus you can buy perfectly good out dated tanks to fill.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Update: I picked up a used Maurader .25. I am very happy with this rifle. It's accurate and fun to shoot. But***,
    this hand pumping has got to go..Talked with a local dive shop today and I think I'm going to get a used tank for
    my high pressure air.
    I haven't shot one, but it looks like a pretty sweet piece. As a side note, I heard a rumor today that GAMO purchased Daisy. If true, looks like another long established company loses its American roots. Update: After doing some Googling, it looks like it has been quite sometime since Daisy actually produced air guns in the U.S. Crosman seems to be one of the few air gun companies that make most of its products in the good ole USA.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I was just looking at these the other day. I have a crap load of scuba tanks so I figured it just made sense. Don't be intimidated by annual visual and the occasional hydro. No big deal. I'd like to go .30 cal or so if I went PCP. The Benjamin Marauder gets killer reviews, I think it'd be hard to pass on that one too. My dad has a single pump Camo (obviously not PCP), but it is surprisingly accurate, and he's slayed many critters with it. Shooting his kinda gave me the bug to pull my old Sheridan C9 .20 cal rifle out, hadn't shot it since I was probably like 11-12.... Haha.
    I would like to get more into non-firearm guns.

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    So, I can get a used scuba tank for $125 includes certificates and one fill. But, I'm still not sure where to go about getting the filling system.
    Seems like that is going to cost more than the tank. Any suggestions?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm not a ton of help on filling stations, however for a SCUBA (think clean, breathing quality air) filling station, you probably don't wanna buy one. They can be had from 3k-5k. There might be smaller systems available to fill non-breathing quality air though, i'm just not sure. You might see how long one tank gets you in terms of shots. Scuba tanks, standard is 80cf @2kpsi, hold a lot of air! I scored a few high pressure steel tanks (about 100-120 cf @3500psi) pretty cheap on craigslist, so keep your eyes open there too. I get my fills for about 7$ a fill. If you have a close place to get an air fill that might make the most sense. I'll have to research other non- "clean" air fill options, maybe something cheaper exists...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Most, though not all, scuba tanks in the US use K valves. Most shops can only fill K valves, but yes, it is a consideration. The OP can tell which he has. If you have to screw the regulator into the tank valve it is a DIN.
    Gee, the scuba shop in the back woods of Indiana (New Albany) that I use can fill both K valve tanks and DIN. I just assumed that those in the civilized part of Indiana would be able to fill DIN valved tanks. :dunno:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Gee, the scuba shop in the back woods of Indiana (New Albany) that I use can fill both K valve tanks and DIN. I just assumed that those in the civilized part of Indiana would be able to fill DIN valved tanks. :dunno:

I've run across several shops that while that technically can fill a DIN using an insert or adapter, they can't fill it to the higher pressures DIN tanks can handle (for the 4500 tanks). I have 11 tanks, only one of which is DIN, and generally DIN valved tanks cost more. I tend to find dive shops capable of higher pressures and used to DIN valves in areas where there is more technical diving than recreational. I don't know about Indy, but I've run into several dive shops that won't fill my DIN tank.

Regardless, I admit I made an assumption about the OP's tank which is why I added clarification above. It would also be dangerous for a 4500 tank to fill an MROD without a careful eye on the pressure gauge.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've run across several shops that while that technically can fill a DIN using an insert or adapter, they can't fill it to the higher pressures DIN tanks can handle (for the 4500 tanks). I have 11 tanks, only one of which is DIN, and generally DIN valved tanks cost more. I tend to find dive shops capable of higher pressures and used to DIN valves in areas where there is more technical diving than recreational. I don't know about Indy, but I've run into several dive shops that won't fill my DIN tank.

Regardless, I admit I made an assumption about the OP's tank which is why I added clarification above. It would also be dangerous for a 4500 tank to fill an MROD without a careful eye on the pressure gauge.
    My air pistol cylinders are to be filled to the maximum of 200 bar (close to 3,000 psi). If I had a tank that was filled higher than that, it probably would damage the cylinder or pistol. I have an aluminum scuba tank, and my valve is a K valve. I have a yoke that converts the K to DIN which mates to the fitting that attaches to the air pistol cylinder. I'm not familiar with the Marauder. It may be able to handle much higher pressures than my match air pistol.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My air pistol cylinders are to be filled to the maximum of 200 bar (close to 3,000 psi). If I had a tank that was filled higher than that, it probably would damage the cylinder or pistol. I have an aluminum scuba tank, and my valve is a K valve. I have a yoke that converts the K to DIN which mates to the fitting that attaches to the air pistol cylinder. I'm not familiar with the Marauder. It may be able to handle much higher pressures than my match air pistol.

The Marauder is also 3k. I have it and the Discovery and the Disco is only 2k.

Top Bottom