• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We just got home and are grabbing some food and showers, but I wanted to go ahead and get an AAR thread going.

First, thanks again to Matt and Justin for the great training, and for making it affordable. I for one attribute my wife's willingness to attend to the affordable price tag.

Let me also say that while the training was inexpensive, it was not "cheap." We recieved valuable classroom instruction regarding basic handgun safety and operation, proper sight picture, grip, stance, draw, as well as some great discussion around the proper mindset.

The range drills were very good, and focused on marksmanship over speed...exactly what is needed at this type of course. Malfunction and weak hand drills were a great reality check for those of us - myself inclused - that typically only practice with my normal 2 handed grip, and typically don't practice malfuctions unless one happens to occur on the range.

My wife had only fired about 25 rounds EVER before taking this class. In the lenght of the class, she went from struggling to hit the target, to being able to put rounds on target within an acceptable grouping for a self defense situation (last shots were within 4" group). She also went from a reaction of "something is wrong with my gun...here fix it" to being able to clear a malfunction on her own and make the gun either ready to fire again, or safe to take off the line.

On the way home she told me that she really had a good time, and was so glad she came along. She also wants me to buy her a 9mm 1911 of her very own because she liked shooting Matt's so much!!!

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Just getting home myself.

A big thanks to Justin and Matt for instructing / hosting the class. I had a good time and picked up a lot . Reading only gets you so far in learning.

Shooting doesn't necessarily equate to training. I'm glad to finally have gotten a course under my belt; look forward to taking more!

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Great Class. Having only put about 100 rounds prior to this class through my glock and this being my first handgun I feel I did alright and learned a lot. There's a lot of things I learned that I plan to practice when I go to the range now. Thanks Matt and Justin for instructing and having the class. I plan to be at Carbine 1 next month.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Just got out of a long very needed shower and have to echo everyone else's comments. Great class, learned a few new things and was reminded that yeah, non-dominant hand shooting is harder than it should be, and I need to work on it.

And that despite applying sunblock its still possible to get a good deep burn.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Class went really well today. All students showed improvement from the first round (bullet) to the last.

It got a little hot today, but no issues. Justin and I hope that students took something away from training to today to work on.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I had a great time at the class today. It was great to have a class where there was little or no tension and everyone could get comfortable and learn. Everyone did a GREAT job of being safe and listening to the instructors.

Thanks a lot Matt and Justin. I'm really looking forward to the carbine classes.

Doug :patriot::ingo:

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It was great meeting everyone today. Already looking forward to the upcoming Carbine courses. Hope to see you all there. Good luck in your future training and shoot safe. Justin

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well it has been a week since the class and I finally have a few minutes without work and the kids to collect my thoughts.

First off this was a nice basic course. I have taken alot of introductory classes in the past. Most were more focused on classroom time. Matt tends to do things a bit more hands on which I think goes a long ways in building confidence quickly. Now one reason class time was cut short was because of the heat. It was hot and the power in the building was shut off. So we covered safety, maintenance, terminology pretty quickly. We could have spent a bit more time on some of this but like I mentioned it was hot. Matt's mindset and legal discussions are always interesting since he basically fields questions and openly shares his opinion.

Live fire was outdoors of distances of about 7 - 10 yards. No time limits just safely presenting the gun and firing well aimed shots. Distance increased and the size of the target decreased as we progressed. We did cover reloading, strong hand vs weak hand and some simple movement. Matt and Justin were not sticklers for form as much as fixing problems to get hits on paper.

My wife did very well. Justin had her reloading the gun and clearing malfunctions on her own. A few times Matt wanted us to draw with an empty chamber, tap rack bang, clear the malfunction, etc. During those drills it was not uncommon to forget to remove the safety. So not stressful per se but it reinforces that a person needs to develop muscle memory and practice with the gun you will carry.

Very good day on the range, but the best part of the day was seeing the ladies open carry in Wendy's. :D Worst part of the day is that my wife will not stop telling all her friends and my sister how HOT her instructors were. They have names you know, stop referring to them as Officer Hottie. :rolleyes: Looks like it is salads and the bow flex for me again. :( Thanks for nothing Matt and Justin. :xmad:

I kid! Honestly PD Training offers very good courses at very reasonable prices. Matt is very practical in his methods. I recommend spending a day with Matt and Justin and by all means bring your spouse or significant other.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well it has been a week since the class and I finally have a few minutes without work and the kids to collect my thoughts.

First off this was a nice basic course. I have taken alot of introductory classes in the past. Most were more focused on classroom time. Matt tends to do things a bit more hands on which I think goes a long ways in building confidence quickly. Now one reason class time was cut short was because of the heat. It was hot and the power in the building was shut off. So we covered safety, maintenance, terminology pretty quickly. We could have spent a bit more time on some of this but like I mentioned it was hot. Matt's mindset and legal discussions are always interesting since he basically fields questions and openly shares his opinion.

Live fire was outdoors of distances of about 7 - 10 yards. No time limits just safely presenting the gun and firing well aimed shots. Distance increased and the size of the target decreased as we progressed. We did cover reloading, strong hand vs weak hand and some simple movement. Matt and Justin were not sticklers for form as much as fixing problems to get hits on paper.

My wife did very well. Justin had her reloading the gun and clearing malfunctions on her own. A few times Matt wanted us to draw with an empty chamber, tap rack bang, clear the malfunction, etc. During those drills it was not uncommon to forget to remove the safety. So not stressful per se but it reinforces that a person needs to develop muscle memory and practice with the gun you will carry.

Very good day on the range, but the best part of the day was seeing the ladies open carry in Wendy's. :D Worst part of the day is that my wife will not stop telling all her friends and my sister how HOT her instructors were. They have names you know, stop referring to them as Officer Hottie. :rolleyes: Looks like it is salads and the bow flex for me again. :( Thanks for nothing Matt and Justin. :xmad:

I kid! Honestly PD Training offers very good courses at very reasonable prices. Matt is very practical in his methods. I recommend spending a day with Matt and Justin and by all means bring your spouse or significant other.

Vert-

I'll second that it was a lot of fun watching our wives OC into Wendy's! No body freaked out, and nobody even batted an eye. Not even a W-WAG (Woman with a gun) call to the local police or anything. I wonder if that would have been the same if it were you and I that were OC'ing and the wive's were the one's that were CC'ing.?

But what was better than that was that both of them made the comment of how hard it was to go to the bathroom with a gun on your belt...and wondered where to put it. When you mentioned the hammock...I think they both had that look of W-T-F at the same time.

As far as "Officer Hottie" my wife talks about him too. The good news is he and I have the same first name so I think she's talking about me. :): !

P.S. I bet next time we go to training you'll remember to bring plenty of water. ;)

Top Bottom