• ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Here's what the PDQ is for those unfamiliar,

My question is - if I have this done to a lower and just use aluminum black rather having the lower cerakoted after is there a high probability of rust happening starting in this area of the lower?

I know it would be highER chance but if I were to be rather rough on this gun and shoot in adverse conditions not babying it immediately after - am I dooming it to rust?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I have a lower that has rust on it though?

At least it sure looks like rust.. that's why I even asked. I thought it couldn't but I'm 99% sure this lower I bought a long time ago has rust?

I'll upload a pic when I get home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a lower that has rust on it though?

At least it sure looks like rust.. that's why I even asked. I thought it couldn't but I'm 99% sure this lower I bought a long time ago has rust?

I'll upload a pic when I get home.
    That just means its not an aluminum lower. see if a magnet sticks to it. If you see rust, I'd bet its not aluminum. Use the side of the magwell to make sure you dont feel the pull from steel guts.

And as MGD said, it can oxidize, but that tends to stay on the surface and isnt typically as catastrophic as rust. You should be fine if you cover the raw metal with some kind of coating. It doesnt have to be a proper coating so long as you keep it lubed and dont hang out around wetness.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    More likely seeing rust from steel pins.
    The lower itself is almost always aluminum or polymer, neither of which is susceptible to rust.
    Steel pivot pins, springs, trigger parts...can all rust, leaving rust sitting on your lower, but the lower isn't rusting.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    sounds like rust rubbed off from USGI mags.
    I didn't even think about that.

I'll still post a pic when I get home so my confusion feels justified.

I really was confused because I could have swore that aluminum did not rust but when I saw that I couldn't figure it out and that's what made me second guess the PDQ lever on another lower before this one I want to put one in.

To get an ambi 308 lower it's either this or spend like $450 minimum and I'm not really feeling that option right now unless I find one on here.

Top Bottom