• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    18oz $3 for generic. 3200 calories in jar. Respectable shelf life, easy to store, very cheap.......peanut butter FTW

Not as tasty but in a real SHTF situation for me bare necessity's. Eating will only be an inconvenience.

Ive stocked up on multivitamins to.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Peanut butter does contain a lot of calories & has a pretty long shelf-life, so I have always kept a few extra jars in my pantry.

Eventually the oil will start to separate & the peanut butter will start to harden, making it appear that the peanut butter has "gone bad" however vigorously stirring the oil back in to the block of hardening peanut butter will rejuvenate it.

If someone doesn't like or is allergic to peanuts, another similar alternative/additional choice is a product called "Nutella" which is essentially a hazenut butter, flavored with a bit of coco, it is also high in calories & has a very long shelf-life.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I keep peanut butter in my BOB and some in my preps. I don't know if it is neccessarily better than MRE's but it is a good prep. I keep a small supply of MRE's (9 per person in my home) as an emergency prep. The thing about the MRE's is that the kids enjoy opening them and will almost always find something that they like inside. The strong points of peanut butter in my book is that it is easy to eat a spoonful of it to ward off hunger and keep going plus the jar closes back up whereas a lot of the stuff in MRE's can't be saved once it is opened.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    An extreme distance cyclist named John Stamsted who has won a 1100 mile race called the Iditasport Impossible during the Alaskan winter multiple times uses a diet of peanut butter and vegetable oil as his primary sustenance for the race. He said it takes a few days before the race to get your body acclimated to the vegetable oil.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Vegetable Oil is a great source of fats and calories your body needs. Unfortunately, at my house peanut butter has a shelf life of a few days as we all eat in a LOT. On the survival front I could see it being a good source for calories but I would think you would want to at least have plenty of water along with it.

glouck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Goshen
    I guess the best part is that almost everyone likes it and you can get it in the industrial size container at Sams, Meijer, etc...

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Swatdoc said:

"A lot of the MRE entrees do include peanut butter!"

Heck yeah! My favorite is the chocolate peanutbutter. I use that stand alone in very cold weather, right before I crawl into my sleeping bag, to fuel my furnace for a couple hours.

PB is good stuff, a good source of protein and fat, coupled with some rice and an occasional multivitamin, you could live for weeks post SHTF. Eventually it would take its toll, but it would get you through.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The industrial containers don't close well, they're usually the pop-top plastic lids.

They do, however, make some still pretty large jars with the screw on plastic lids.
    I favor Jiff for its wide mouth opening and good lid.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    +1 on Diabetics can't handle MRE's... PB is the leave it in the BOB and use it if you need it product which can be handled better by Diabetics.... don't you know...

In my younger days, granola bars, jar of PB, and a couple oranges to go.....

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Back in the dark ages of my military experiences (1980's Ft. Bragg and points south) I quickly learned to discard what my body did not like from MREs. I found I did fine on Peanut butter and gorilla cookies or saltines with an occassional "whatever in BBQ sauce". I also ate a can of smoked oysters in oil per night to "keep things moving".

We stock a lot of Natural peanut butter and NUTELLA (the SHTF indicator). Turn your natural PB over every once in a while and it will circulate the oil. Every backpack trip I take includes peanut butter in a big squeeze tube. A shot in your oatmeal or on your pancake for breakfast; a shot on the trail for some salty fatty energy and mixed in noodles, Ramen, on a bagel, whatever. You can even make a peanut Thai sauce for your trout.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The problem with peanut butter is that, just like nuts, the oil in it goes rancid relatively quickly compared to MREs. It may still be edible, but I find rancid fats to be so off-putting that I would have be eating it as an alternative to starvation.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    When it goes on sale, it can be $1/jar. Then we get 30-60 jars. The boy's only real food is peanut butter and the food makes for a good prep so...

We have tons.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Back in the dark ages of my military experiences (1980's Ft. Bragg and points south) I quickly learned to discard what my body did not like from MREs. I found I did fine on Peanut butter and gorilla cookies or saltines with an occassional "whatever in BBQ sauce". I also ate a can of smoked oysters in oil per night to "keep things moving".

We stock a lot of Natural peanut butter and NUTELLA (the SHTF indicator). Turn your natural PB over every once in a while and it will circulate the oil. Every backpack trip I take includes peanut butter in a big squeeze tube. A shot in your oatmeal or on your pancake for breakfast; a shot on the trail for some salty fatty energy and mixed in noodles, Ramen, on a bagel, whatever. You can even make a peanut Thai sauce for your trout.
    I remember in Basic Training I used to "smuggle" the ketchup type packets of PB out of the galley under my canteen.....Another would get the jelly and another the crackers....we would post after lights out for snacks. Good times.

Top Bottom