Pediatrician asked about firearms in the home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    A few days ago, I took my 1 week old daughter for her first visit to the pediatrician. After the doctor gave my daughter the once over, she started asking questions about family medical history. After she asked about "addiction", she asked if there were any firearms in the home. I said, "Yes". She then asked, "How many?", to which I replied "A lot". She then asked me if the firearms and ammunition were all locked and stored in separate locations. It took me that long to realize that she was asking questions that had nothing to do with my child's health. I told her that none of my firearms were anywhere that my two-year-old or newborn would be able to access.

Then I had to ask her, what all of the firearm related questions had to do with my child's first doctor visit. She told me that (I forgot the abbreviation for the organization she quoted was), "recommends" that those questions be asked.

The line of questioning caught me off guard. I was never asked these questions any of the other times I took my two-year-old to the same doctor's office.

Have any of you had a similar line of questions at the pediatrician?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Nope, but then again my doctor has seen me remove my carry piece prior to being examined on several occasions so she already knew the answer to that question.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No I have not been asked, but you are not the first to post about a situation such ad this. IMO these types of questions have nothing to do with health care. I would have no problem telling my doctor just that. I know my family doctor is an avid outdoorsman so I doubt it will come up.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    My "family doctor" most likely knows the answer to those questions from treating my Father, my Brother, and myself, (all who carry everywhere we go).

I know that none of the questions that the pediatrician asked have anything to do with my child's health, and should have known enough not to answer them. Just can't help but wonder what happens with that data and what the true purpose of asking was.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The AMA has been pushing for doctors to ask that series of questions for several years. The AMA is about as anti-gun a group as you are ever likely stumble upon. They use the Brady Campaign's mis-information about guns being 43 times more likely to kill a family member . . . despite the fact that that study was totally debunked several times.

Next time ask the doctor, you'll hear him/her parrot the Brady Campaign lies.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Next time ask the doctor, you'll hear him/her parrot the Brady Campaign lies.

That's not a bad idea, I already lost the game and gave them what they wanted. The least I can do is try to spark a debate, have some fun, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, attempt to educate someone.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My family Dr. is a younger woman, but she is very quick to call BS. I can't see her going along with this type of crap, and I'm pretty sure she knows how I would respond anyway. That being said, I would never answer those types of questions by a Dr anyway, wether it concerned me or any member of my family. Typical liberal, PC OH MY GOD THEY OWN A GUN BS! It just amazes me what our world is becoming.:xmad:

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    i have also been asked those ?s and my response is i am here for my childs health care i am not here about child wellfair next ? please. They cant force you to give them any info you dont want to . just like i dont tell a doc if i drink or smoke when i go in for a sprain or cut .

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    A local surgery center once gave me a form to sign giving them permission to discuss ANY of my medical data with my insurance company. Including my AIDS status. I peeled 'em like a grape. Wanna guess what happens to your job if your employer's insurance company finds out you have HIV? Oh, it's immoral, it's slimy, it's just plain wrong. But if you just sign the forms like they expect you too, they'll do it.
    And no, I'm fine. It's just that the idea gives my already bad opinion of my employer's insurance company a real kick in the pants.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I believe this topic has been discussed on this forum before. The initiative is through AAP - The American Academy of Pediatrics. It's been an official recommendation of the Academy for years. They even provide pediatricians forms and tear-off questionaires to help ask these questions. Just politely decline. Most don't have strong feelings about it, they're just sheep following the guidelines of their professional organization and mindlessly going through the "checklist".
    You could also take it as an opportunity to educate the pediatrician on the need for them to think about the politics and policies that their professional organization represent.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Happened the first time I took my son to the Dr. The answer they got was "none of your business, now can we get back to what my insurance is paying you to do, check my son's actual health."

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I posted a thread about this a long time ago ( well over a year ) when my son was born. We didn't answer those questions, I think it's state mandated our pediatrician is a very sweet lady and she never asked us personally.

We got a survey, they asked if we had well water and firearms, gotta make sure you're drinkin' the fluoride!

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Asked those questions at about every doc we see new for our 4 kids health one way or another. Doesn't really bother me to answer, but I can see where some wouldn't want to. Sometimes when it asked if they are locked and kept safe i get a little creative. I believe I indicated on one form that I keep them under my kids crib along with where all the heroin is stored.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How about answering with a question to see what would happen? "Have you ever practiced unsafe sex?" After all, you want to know about the people handling your children.

Top Bottom