• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I was just wondering what most people do. Do you take a plastic jug or do you pee on the ground? Many animals mark their spot with urine. Does human urine spook deer?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I was just wondering what most people do. Do you take a plastic jug or do you pee on the ground? Many animals mark their spot with urine. Does human urine spook deer?
    You think mom and dad deer teach the young ones what human pee smells like? You want to get a buck really into checking his scrapes? Go pee in the middle of it and then catch him coming back to mark over YOUR mark.
    But remember if you shake it more than once, YOU ARE PLAYING WITH IT! :lmfao:

Yet another myth. Deer actually LOVE the smell of tobacco from a cigarette but you will hear all kinds of people say that you cant smoke in the woods because it will scare them off. NONSENSE!

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    One evening while bow hunting it was getting into the last hour of shooting light and I couldn't hold it any longer so I just let it go off my stand. I was using a climber so the next morning I moved about 50 yds because I ruined that spot. As it got light out I couldn't believe it. There was a few does and a buck literally standing under my old tree. Later that afternoon I went over to investigate. There was a scrape. Could have been random, not sure. But it happened.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    You think mom and dad deer teach the young ones what human pee smells like? You want to get a buck really into checking his scrapes? Go pee in the middle of it and then catch him coming back to mark over YOUR mark.
    But remember if you shake it more than once, YOU ARE PLAYING WITH IT! :lmfao:

Yet another myth. Deer actually LOVE the smell of tobacco from a cigarette but you will hear all kinds of people say that you cant smoke in the woods because it will scare them off. NONSENSE!

I have made my own scrapes for years. Key to a good one, is finding a tree with a branch that hangs about 6 feet off the ground, then pee right under it off and on for a month or so. Doesn't always work so make more than one but usually at least one will get under a bucks skin.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Last season on Thanksgiving morning I peed off of my treestand and turned around too see a buck and three does coming down a trail about 100 yards away and waited till they got 30 yards and killed a buck and a doe.Prior to that I carried a jug and I no longer carry it.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I let it fly. I've also started many scrapes throughout the years. Like said pick a spot with a licking branch, and if it on a well traveled line of some sort (field line, tree line, transition, etc.) it is even better. Paw out an area, take a leak, and I like to spray deer dander on the licking branch. The deer will many times find it and keep it going throughout the season.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    The funniest pee story ever. One October day after work, an avid deer hunter friend was going to check out a 40 acre woods that he had exclusive rights to hunt. I tagged along for fun. We come across a ladder stand that a trespasser had set up, and had obviously hunted out of. He had cut limbs and saplings down, littered the area with candy wrappers and pop bottles etc. One such pop bottle had urine in it. My friend was noticeably upset. He proceeded to take the lid off of the urine bottle and placed it teetering on the front edge of his ladder stand, so, you guessed it, it would fall on the fellow's head as he climbed his ladder. I wish I could have seen his reaction.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Thanks for all the replies on my question. I have been letting it fly but have wondered if I might have better results if I bottled it and took it back out of the woods with me. A second thought, If they don't know the difference between human and deer urine would hey know the difference between buck and doe or doe in estrus? I guess that is a question that just can't be answered?? Those little bottles sure are expensive.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for all the replies on my question. I have been letting it fly but have wondered if I might have better results if I bottled it and took it back out of the woods with me. A second thought, If they don't know the difference between human and deer urine would hey know the difference between buck and doe or doe in estrus? I guess that is a question that just can't be answered?? Those little bottles sure are expensive.
    The hormones in a does pee smell alot different from a bucks'. The bucks' are genetically programmed to go after the does scent. Much like you and I are programmed to go in to rut at 16yrs old or earlier. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I try not to in the stand (only because it is loud when it's falling 15 ft.) But I also use my own urine to start up scrapes. I read an article about it in field and stream a couple of years ago and have been doing it ever since. Also works to pee under tree rubs (not on them, by them)

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Never seen it as a problem alerting deer.The problem is in the cold weather of to much clothes and not enough hose.

Top Bottom