• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I suspect a rich Star Wars dweeb trying to catch a glimpse of bewbies someplace. Proly a neighborhood kid

That's old man thinking.

There's this thing called the internet now...

[video=youtube;iclljvDoxFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclljvDoxFs&list=PL45E83E04838021FE[/video]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If over my property Id net it or knock it down w something. Can't signal jam it legally. But then it cant be buzzing outside your window legally.

Over the street my guess is legal.

But its gone up to the house

Not my house. Kid said one time it was a big drone, not the Best Buy cheapy

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What's the likelihood the cops will get to the scene of the crime in time to catch the "peeper"? What is the likelihood they will come at all during this pandemic?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Put a realistic skeleton, or mannequin next to a freshly dug grave, on the edge of the woods for the drone pilot to “see”. If he reports it to the police, you now know who the pilot is. If he doesn’t report it, maybe he will think twice about flying in the area.

And put a remote control next to the body to really drive the point home.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Why not buy a cheap drone yourself and attempt to ram the other drone to take it down? When drones collide there's a good chance they'll get hung up in the others' propeller(s).
    It's harder than it sounds initially, but with a lot of fun practice you'll get great at piloting the thing around. You should be able to get a sizeable drone with some weight to it for $60-$80 or so. Ensure that you've got additional LEDs on the back (pointing back at you) to easily distinguish which of the four sides your looking at (personal lesson learned). Good luck hunting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why not buy a cheap drone yourself and attempt to ram the other drone to take it down? When drones collide there's a good chance they'll get hung up in the others' propeller(s).
    It's harder than it sounds initially, but with a lot of fun practice you'll get great at piloting the thing around. You should be able to get a sizeable drone with some weight to it for $60-$80 or so. Ensure that you've got additional LEDs on the back (pointing back at you) to easily distinguish which of the four sides your looking at (personal lesson learned). Good luck hunting.

I like this idea a lot. You wouldn't even likely need to ram, just buzzing them a time or two should freak out the peeper. Then freak them out worse when you follow the bad drone home.

What are recommendations for a usable under $100 drone to dogfight with?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like this idea a lot. You wouldn't even likely need to ram, just buzzing them a time or two should freak out the peeper. Then freak them out worse when you follow the bad drone home.

What are recommendations for a usable under $100 drone to dogfight with?

I like this one. Follow it back to home base and start buzzing them. Get one with the return home function.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Why not buy a cheap drone yourself and attempt to ram the other drone to take it down? When drones collide there's a good chance they'll get hung up in the others' propeller(s)…
    ... Good luck hunting.

While ramming would be exciting I get if you had some streamers or string hanging from your drone it "might" get tangled up with the other drone and make it plunge to the earth.

hqdefault.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cool- a home made drone catcher.

...provided your home is equipped for MIG and TIG welding, has a lathe, an end mill and access to an entire Ace Hardware store...and the drone travels no more than 20 feet in the air.
    [video=youtube;Xyh-JpWdGmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ[/video]

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Here's a type of drone that would suffice. You can find this size probably for less on gearbest's site, but here's the link to one on Amazon that has some weight to it: LINK HERE
    Here's the full address if the link doesn't work above: https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Stone-W...ld=1&keywords=c5+drone&qid=1586904837&sr=8-11

A neighbor and I spent many hours chasing each other's drone around the backyards year back. One would try to avoid the other, we'd have races around trees, etc. We'd always fly the smaller ones that had cheap batteries, were light weight, and if you lost it in a tree or simply crashed too many times you could just buy a new one. They were about $30 years ago, roughly 10" x 10" in size. This could work, but if you really want to take a larger drone out, you'll need a larger object/drone like the one I linked. Drones are fairly resilient in the air about 20+ft. They can stabilize quickly if they're hit and if one of the props doesn't lock up. If you're dealing with one that's got 6+ brushless motors, I'm assuming it will be even for important that hit it hard for a good lock-up. I'm not recommended that specific one I linked, just one of that size...heck check Facebook/Craigslist you might score one like that with lots of batteries for $20. Typically the camera on the cheap ones are simply useless.
    The ribbons would work if you could 'sneak' up on the offender's drone but more than likely it'll be a fantastic dogfight and at that point the ribbons will more likely than not get caught in your own props. We initially tried ribbons; that was a quick no-go after many hangups for the guy flying with them. The hangups always occurred when rolling or stalling intentionally. I would try ribbons and find out for yourself... if it work - great!

If you're going to be flying at low light conditions, buy some LEDs that you can order off Amazon, drill two holes into the 'back/rear' of the quad-copter and take power off the main battery. This will make your awareness and handling significantly better for the drone/operator as you can orient the drone at far distances by using the LED's. If I can find my old one, I'll post a picture at later time.
    Last tip of these types of low cost drones: keep at least one battery fully charged as they only last about 7-10min with transient throttling and they're always strongest the first 30sec-1min.

Anyways, sounds like you're got quite the problem with a potentially entertaining solution. If you do catch the drone, please post bragging photos. I can imagine a lot of situations that you could put their own drone to work against them. Cheers!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Instead of ribbons why not try wire, one off each spar and fly over top and drop into the offenders blades. Or maybe small model rocket engines with a nose cone and fins to do some air to air action. You probably won't hit them but what fun!

Top Bottom