• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to finally try out a few of my latest 45-70 rounds on a 12 inch diameter cherry tree that was slated to be cut down for a road project.

Here are the rounds

403285713.jpg

450 grain 15 bhn cast bullet in a 45-70 case trimmed to 1.8 inches with an OAL of 2.525 inches which effectively makes the new round a

45-55.

The cherry tree after 17 rounds of 45-70 followed by 87 rounds of 200 grain cast .45acp

403541372.jpg

All of the 45-70 rounds were through shots blowing splitters out the back of the tree. It's no wonder there aren't any buffalo left.

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not surprising, I remember seeing my dad shoot through a concrete block wall when I was a kid. And no, it wasnt a hollow wall either, it was filled with mortar.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Are those trimmed back to be IN legal hunting rounds? If so how are they working for you and what are you shooting them out of? I have a couple SHarps and was thinking about trying that out. We had a similar effect on a tree down in Brown County on accident behind where we stapled up our target. It wasn't as big around as yours looks, but it was tall. I crushed my target stand and blocked the road enough I had to walk up to the house and get the chainsaw.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    45-70's don't get all the love they deserve. It's really a shame that they aren't more popular and the fact that they blew that tree in half didn't surprise me at all.

I've had both a full size marlin 1895 and a guide gun and neither shot the groups I'd been hearing about them being capable of so they were sold. I haven't given up on the caliber though. The 45/70 is just a powerhouse of a round. I'm glad you had some good results with yours and as far as I'm concerned I think that cherry tree was running straight for you with a knife in his hand and you did the right thing.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Are those trimmed back to be IN legal hunting rounds? If so how are they working for you and what are you shooting them out of? I have a couple SHarps and was thinking about trying that out. We had a similar effect on a tree down in Brown County on accident behind where we stapled up our target. It wasn't as big around as yours looks, but it was tall. I crushed my target stand and blocked the road enough I had to walk up to the house and get the chainsaw.

Yes, the rounds are deer legal and were shot from a 22" Marlin 1895SS (not stainless steel just the model) with Ballard rifling. The bullet is cast from a Lee double cavity 457-450-F plain base mold loaded unsized at .459 at the drive bands. I chose this particular mold because of its bore riding nose length and drive band placement to take advantage of the 1.8 inch cartridge rule while still maintaining an acceptable OAL. I will post back some 100 yard range results next week. And BTW, I learned a long time ago to never go into the woods without a chainsaw LOL.:)

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My favorite rifle is the Marlin 1895 LTD-III in 45-70 Government to which I added a Marble rear tang peep site. Yes, it does have a little kick to it.

Within 100 years it is dead on accurate. I have harvested all wild Buffalo in my home County.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Yes, the rounds are deer legal and were shot from a 22" Marlin 1895SS (not stainless steel just the model) with Ballard rifling. The bullet is cast from a Lee double cavity 457-450-F plain base mold loaded unsized at .459 at the drive bands. I chose this particular mold because of its bore riding nose length and drive band placement to take advantage of the 1.8 inch cartridge rule while still maintaining an acceptable OAL. I will post back some 100 yard range results next week. And BTW, I learned a long time ago to never go into the woods without a chainsaw LOL.:)

I would be interested in hearing about the range results. I don't have a Mariln, but I would like to pick one up someday. Keep reading that the new ones aren't good. I have a couple of Sharps rifles in 45-70. I would love to shoot a deer with one, but I'm not sure how practical it would be to haul my heavy and expensive target rifles up in a tree stand. Maybe a ground blind. My gunsmith told me about shortening the 45-70 then tried to talk me into buying a 358 hoosier.

I agree about never going into the woods without a chainsaw....There usually is a lil Stihl 180 in my truck box, but I let somebody borrow it and didn't get it back.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If Indiana allows the 45/70 for deer I'm picking up one of those H&R buffalo classics. I've always liked those and it'd be my last hope to have a 45/70.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The .45-70 AKA .45 2 1/10" AKA .45 Govt has excellent accuracy potential, especially from single shot rifles. Still working on my Sharps load.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale

Update;

I did make it out to the range last weekend but was limited to 50 yard testing. The best 5 shot grouping was 1 3/4 inches out of 4 groups the worse being 3 1/2 inches. These were shot from an 18 1/2 inch barreled Marlin 1895 GBL with XS ghost ring sights off the bench with no barrel support. I believe that with a smaller aperture the groups would have been significantly better, I'll use my 22" 1895 SS with the Skinner sight and a fine aperture next go around. The average muzzle velocity was 1510 fps with the chrony set out 15 feet due to the muzzle blast blowing off the diffusers when set in closer.

In summary I'm very satisfied with the results of this cartridge/bullet/load combination and plan to make it my go-to round for my 45-70's.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    There are lots of excellent choices with the 45-70. Browning High Wall, Ruger #1, H&R Handy Rifle, Rossi makes a single shot. Marlin's lever action, Uberti makes a lever action. These are just off the top of my head there are dozens of options. From $150 bucks to $2000+ so there should be something for just about every INGOer. I would like to hear the range reports from some of these other single shot rifles with the 1.8 case length at 100 to 150 yards.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    There are lots of excellent choices with the 45-70. Browning High Wall, Ruger #1, H&R Handy Rifle, Rossi makes a single shot. Marlin's lever action, Uberti makes a lever action. These are just off the top of my head there are dozens of options. From $150 bucks to $2000+ so there should be something for just about every INGOer. I would like to hear the range reports from some of these other single shot rifles with the 1.8 case length at 100 to 150 yards.

This may help a little. Here are the ballistics for the 450 grain cast rounds from the 1.8 inch case out of an 18.5 inch barrel. I will try to do some 100 yard testing in the next few weeks weather permitting.
    403731906.jpg

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    now i want a 45-70 a co worker was telling me that they were able to cut down a telephone pole with multiple shots but now after seeing that tree i am truely impressed

Top Bottom