• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    If this is not the correct forum, administration please move to appropriate forum....

Looking for gun shops in Indiana who stock flintlock rifles...especially Pennsylvania long rifles

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gonz

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Prob italian replica...can't afford a custom for about another 18-24 months

Just looking for flintlocknrifles dealers so we can get our hands around them

Archer1122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    There's a guy who sets up at the 1500 who has nothing but BP stuff. He has a bunch of nice stuff! You should check him out.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Well there probably are no shops that sell Italian Pennsylvania rifles, as none of the Italian version are true to this type. All the Italian versions I've ever seen look like a mix of every style thrown into one, and the end results are quite ugly to be honest. If you want a true PA/KY style rifle save your clams and head to Friendship next June and get something that will increase in value over time, IF you take good care of it. If you want something before then, search out Tip Curtis and give him a call. If you really want to learn about American Longrifles then go here and read up/join. American Longrifles - Home - a site dedicated to the study and building of the American longrifle

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I know this is not a satisfactory answer to your question, but I travel a lot. I stop in gunstores every chance I get. There is a gunstore in Breezewood PA with racks of flintlock rifles. I have never seen that many flint rifles in one place. Anywhere. Otherwise, I would just order one from Dixie Gun Works.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I know this is not a satisfactory answer to your question, but I travel a lot. I stop in gunstores every chance I get. There is a gunstore in Breezewood PA with racks of flintlock rifles. I have never seen that many flint rifles in one place. Anywhere. Otherwise, I would just order one from Dixie Gun Works.

Ah, my friend sloughfoot. Always good for a piece of obscure trivia at the right time. Glad to see you.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Obscure triviia is my middle name. I really love that place. It seems to be a PA thing. The flintlock black powder rifle thing..I truly have never seen another gunstore like it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Would that be Dixon's?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    You might contact Deer Creek Products in Waldron, IN. They deal in nothing but black powder stuff. They are regional distributor for Goex black powder.
    I concur with the suggestion to attend the NMLRA event in Friendship, IN. I go twice a year. PM me if you would like a few back issues of Muzzle Blasts, the NMRLA magizine, to look at the advertisers. would be happy to send you a few.

varkman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    Actually it's officially the "Kentucky" long rifle. Go look in the Ky Governors office, right behind the desk. Interesting story about that, as I understand it way back when (20's-30's) there was a argument about KY versus Pennsylvania rifle. each state got together a team and had a good old shootin' contest, the winner getting bragging, and naming rights, it seems that the KY team was in it to win it...and did year after year, til finally Pennsylvania conceded, and thus the "Kentucky" rifle resides in the governors office in Frankfort. This is the story I've been told, and have yet to hear different.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Actually it's officially the "Kentucky" long rifle. Go look in the Ky Governors office, right behind the desk. Interesting story about that, as I understand it way back when (20's-30's) there was a argument about KY versus Pennsylvania rifle. each state got together a team and had a good old shootin' contest, the winner getting bragging, and naming rights, it seems that the KY team was in it to win it...and did year after year, til finally Pennsylvania conceded, and thus the "Kentucky" rifle resides in the governors office in Frankfort. This is the story I've been told, and have yet to hear different.

Yes that story is well known. Amongst those who study and build these type rifles they are collectively called American long rifles, since there is really no single Pennsylvania style, in fact there are lots of different "schools" just from PA alone and they all look different. Even more if you add in Virginia, North Carolina, New England etc. I've always thought it rather humorous how PA styled rifles are called Kentucky rifles, when most Kentucky built rifles actually usually show more southern influences along the lines of VA and TN styles, like this real Kentucky built percussion rifle that has been in a friends family for many generations.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Kentucky built, but appears to have a TN style trigger guard and butt plate. Can't zoom in enough on the trigger guard, but it looks to have a long flat grip rail.The stock profile is also looks very Tennessee-ish.

Dirty Steve

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Cerebus is right about this.....The term "Kentucky Rifle" came about due the popularity of a song "The Hunters of Kentucky" that was written about 1822 or so about the Battle of New Orleans...(The song was eventually modified over time and is the basis for Johnny Horton's "The Battle of New Orleans")...

Ted Franklin Belue, a fellow reenactor and author of "The Hunters of Kentucky" and "The Long Hunt" goes into great detail about this...

"But Jackson he was wide-awake,
    And wasn't scared at trifles,
    For well he knew what aim we'd take,
    With our Kentucky rifles;
    So he marched us down to Cypress Swamp,
    The ground was low and mucky,
    There stood John Bull in martial pomp,
    But here was old Kentucky.."

To add something to what cerebus said there is (at least one) Rifle I saw that was made by one of the Bryan's (of Bryan's Station fame) during the 1780's near Lexington that followed the lines of what we now would call kind of the southern Pennsylvania/Maryland school of long rifles that favored what we think of as a "Pennsylvania Rifle".....It was on Kentucky's version on Antiques Road Show...The guy got it from a guy for $3000 and they estimated the value (around Lexington) to be about $50,000...It was beautiful and untouched and although Bryan had not signed it the appraiser had seen at least three others and he was confident Bryan or one of his sons made it in Lexington in the last quarter of the 18th century....

scan0002.jpg

New Book Release:

Kentucky Gunmakers of the Muzzle Loading Era 1775-1900

Printed in a two-volume set: Volume I is “Gunmaking History” in 289 pages, and Volume II is “Biographies” in 322 pages. Pages are large format size 9x12 printed on premium 105 lb. coated paper with matt finish. Bindings and covers are high quality and each volume has an attractive dust jacket. The publication is a massive, thorough study of early gunmaking in Kentucky. It documents the gunmakers who shaped Kentucky’s gunmaking traditions and the fascinating “southern” guns they made. Many never-before seen rifles are illustrated as the story of Kentucky’s gunmaking is told…from Kentucky’s earliest gunmakers to its last holdouts who clung to the “old ways” in the state’s southwestern hill county area until the end of the nineteenth century.

Volume I… is a highly illustrated narrative of Kentucky’s gunmaking that begins with the first pioneer gunsmiths to walk on Kentucky soil. The state’s early rifles were “working guns” with limited furniture that was often a mixture of iron and brass. The “golden age” of Kentucky gunmaking appeared about 1800. It has seven identified schools of gunmaking that includes the outstanding Lexington, Bardstown, Louisville, and Ohio River Schools. The percussion years from 1835 to 1900 saw a gunmaking industry blossom in Louisville and elsewhere that sold thousands of rifles to settlers heading west in America’s “Manifest Destiny” or great western expansion era. Superb target rifles appeared during Kentucky’s percussion era, with Benjamin Mills’ rifles being among the best not only in Kentucky, but in the nation.

Volume II… contains over 1,100 biographies of gunsmiths who worked in Kentucky during the muzzle loading era. Within its pages the lives of Kentucky’s most noted makers are documented, along with their training and early migration patterns that help explain the final styles found in Kentucky’s major gunmaking schools. Readers will learn about the Bryan and West families of Lexington, Jacob Rizer and David Weller of Bardstown, Moses Dickson and Joseph Griffith of Louisville, Benjamin Mills of Harrodsburg, John Shell and Pleasant Wilson of the southeastern hill county, and others whose high quality work is becoming admired and sought after today.

For years Kentucky’s gunmaking was often ignored by collectors and researchers due to the assumption that its guns were, for the most part, lesser quality “hog rifles.” Better rifles were often attributed to “southwestern Virginia” during that era that today can be identified as Kentucky products. Collectors, researchers, and historians can now identify Kentucky’s early rifles and avoid the injustice of calling them “southwestern Virginia” guns. More importantly, Kentucky can now appreciate its early arms-making heritage and take its rightful place among states where early gunmaking became highly developed, artistic, and an important economic factor for the state.

Price: $ 149.95 for the two-volume set. Mail orders add $14 for shipping and handling.
    Availability: Introduction February 22 & 23 at Prairie State Longrifle Show in Princeton, IL.
    Available at KRA, CLA and other “splinter” longrifle shows in 2013.
    Mail order: order at sgallien@comcast.net with shipments beginning first week of March.

scan0003.jpg

Top Bottom