• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We're going to Pensacola for a few days in December and since it's obviously not a beach trip, what else is there to see and do in the area? We'll be there Sunday thru Wednesday so any suggestions from anyone that's BTDT? Thanks!:ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stop here. Food is awesome.

Home | McGuires Irish Pub

Not only drink the beer, but try a glass of their root beer if you like good, brewed root beers.

It was a REQUIRED stop when my team would travel there on business. Alas we got out of that market, so no more trips for me.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yep MacGuires is good. The food is good and seeing all that money stapled up is crazy.

Joe Patti seafood market is pretty cool. I'd never seen anything like that.

Last edited:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Naval Air Museum. It is free and they have all kinds of things there. The Blue Angels practice there in summer, if you ever go back in summer.

Welcome - National Naval Aviation Museum
    It is actually on the base, but the public is welcome to go to it.

THIS!!!!! Also there is a lighthouse as well as Ft. Barrancas on the base: Fort Barrancas - Gulf Islands National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

In addition, there is what is left of Ft. Pickens: Fort Pickens - Gulf Islands National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Go carts and putt-putt at Sam's Fun City: General Park Information! - Sam's Fun City

Their hockey team puts on good fights: Pensacola Ice Flyers

If you want to get some shopping in: Cordova Mall - A Shopping Center In Pensacola, FL 32504-8769 - A Simon Property and downtown, historic pensacola.

For eats, you can't go wrong with Lambert's just down the road in Foley, AL: Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO | Ozark, MO | Foley, AL and we always stopped at the IHOP next to Sam's Fun City for their All you can eat breakfast buffet :bacondance: (although I'm not sure if they still have it, it has been about 9 years since I was down there last [I'm getting old]). Oh, and stop by a Whataburger! I watched the Colt's win their Super Bowl at a Whataburger (I was yelling and cheering and getting weird looks for that reason).

Traffic is nuts as there are three colleges, a naval base with navy pilots, and more old people than you care to imagine, so don't worry about driving hesitantly or aggressively.

And be sure to stop by the visitor's center before crossing the three mile bridge

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Oh, go to Pensacola Beach, it maybe cold but it is a beautiful beach. For food on the island, Pegleg Pete's is pretty good for seafood that is local. I was there in March and the water was still warm enough to walk in up to my ankles.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you even think you might like seafood, do yourself a favor and go to the Fish House. Quite s few famous people have been there, and for a good reason. Easily in the top 3 seafood places I've ever been. Definitely go to Lamerts, as someone else suggested. It's good food, and a cool experience.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If heading to Gulf Shores Metro isn't too far, you can get a tour of the USS Alabama.. we did that and the Naval Museum when my brother was stationed at NAS Pensacola and had fun with both. You may check around and see if you can get a beach-level seat for the Blue Angels practice runs as well..

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Not officially, but unless they've changed things they start off-season practice over Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan areas - nothing formal, but still cool to see. Then they're off to El Centro California in January (again, it's been a year or 3, so things may have changed)

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Call the NAS and find out if they are flying. If they are, get times. It is an early morning, but not much is more fun than sitting on the NAS bleachers watching them closer than you can imagine.

Oh, be sure to pack sweatshirts and windbreakers, it doesn't get cold, but it gets chilly and foggy down there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Some more great ideas for our upcoming visit! I'll definitely check into the Angels practice sessions but I've been a lot closer than most civilians can get. When my dad was stationed in Key West back in the late 70's one of my buddies was a Reconnaissance Attack Navigator in an A5 Vigilante. They were flying a night training mission up to Atlanta and back and some of us were allowed on the runway while they were doing touch and go's at night. We stood right behind the meatball while they were doing their thing. Very cool and very memorable to say the least, when those things kicked in the afterburners I swear that the damn ground shook!

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Mcguires might have the best $30 steak I've ever had. I've had a few better but they cost more. Ditkas in Chicago has the best steak I've ever had. I think I actually cried a little when I took the last bite and realized here was no more. Their beer is good too. I tried a couple different ones.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mcguires might have the best $30 steak I've ever had. I've had a few better but they cost more. Ditkas in Chicago has the best steak I've ever had. I think I actually cried a little when I took the last bite and realized here was no more. Their beer is good too. I tried a couple different ones.

And the prime rib is delightful... but get there early. The last time I went I was +1 on the list... I put in my order and 5 mins later the server came back to tell me they JUST sold the last one a few minutes earlier. The steak was good too.

And dont be afraid of the sampler. They will bring out a wooden boat of sorts with shot glasses on it. Each has a different beer in it. 6 or so as I recall.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    If you are up for an hour drive to the east the Fort Walton Beach area has several attractions worth taking in. Gulfarium (think small seaworld) is on Okalooosa Island. The Air Force Armament museum outside the main gates of Eglin Air Force base is definitely worth a visit. They have a SR71 Blackbird on display and you can get right up next to it. Also have demilitarized copies of the nukes dropped on Hiroshima, misc small arms, etc. The zoo at Gulf Breeze is worth a stop if you have kids. Tons of fine dining in the Destin area another 7 miles east from there.

Top Bottom