• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    You know Roger is 82 and I guess what I'm saying is while he may currently have the drive, desire and monie$ to guide this into a success story. He doesn't really have time on his side.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    AJ Foyt always wanted to buy the track.

This was the conversation I participated in today next to the water cooler. Years ago when this topic came up, the rumor was that in Tony Hulman's eyes, AJ had first right of refusal. I'm not a big fan of the George family but I think if AJ was approached first I'm not sure he'd want to take that massive burden on.

Roger Penske as a brand has fat cash. What I know is he's into: Rental transportation, Retail auto franchising (car dealerships), and heavy equipment rental/sales/service. If Roger doesn't have enough of his own money for the deal, he has lots of friends that do.

Of all the possible (and capable) suitors the Georges could have picked, they could have done a lot worse than Roger Penske.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This was the conversation I participated in today next to the water cooler. Years ago when this topic came up, the rumor was that in Tony Hulman's eyes, AJ had first right of refusal. I'm not a big fan of the George family but I think if AJ was approached first I'm not sure he'd want to take that massive burden on.

Roger Penske as a brand has fat cash. What I know is he's into: Rental transportation, Retail auto franchising (car dealerships), and heavy equipment rental/sales/service. If Roger doesn't have enough of his own money for the deal, he has lots of friends that do.

Of all the possible (and capable) suitors the Georges could have picked, they could have done a lot worse than Roger Penske.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Roger is a serious racer regardless.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I don't really think Roger, per say...is buying IMS. Penske Corporation owns many businesses and I think only 1 of them is a public company, Penske Auto Group. If, and when Roger passes.....I am sure the Corporation will continue to own and run the Entertainment businesses as an investment.

I mean, Warren Buffet owns Geico for example.......when he dies, Geico will continue.

As for AJ, man I would have loved to seen him buy this place when he was younger, but honestly...I really doubt AJ had even close to enough money or funding for an investment like this, and at his age....he probably didn't have the ambition.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't really think Roger, per say...is buying IMS. Penske Corporation owns many businesses and I think only 1 of them is a public company, Penske Auto Group. If, and when Roger passes.....I am sure the Corporation will continue to own and run the Entertainment businesses as an investment.

I mean, Warren Buffet owns Geico for example.......when he dies, Geico will continue.

As for AJ, man I would have loved to seen him buy this place when he was younger, but honestly...I really doubt AJ had even close to enough money or funding for an investment like this, and at his age....he probably didn't have the ambition.

Roger is tireless, perhaps he is immortal. I’ve known him and many close to him for a long time. My dad drove his IndyCar at Indianapolis for a couple of years. There is simply no better steward of the traditions at IMS who will respect those traditions while moving the 500 and other events into the future than Roger Penske. This is the BEST possible news for IMS, IndyCar, Indianapolis, and the Town of Speedway.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Roger is tireless, perhaps he is immortal. I’ve known him and many close to him for a long time. My dad drove his IndyCar at Indianapolis for a couple of years. There is simply no better steward of the traditions at IMS who will respect those traditions while moving the 500 and other events into the future than Roger Penske. This is the BEST possible news for IMS, IndyCar, Indianapolis, and the Town of Speedway.

I was waiting for your take on this. Thanks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And I agree completely. You know I was involved with all of this in the days it was great. Knew your Dad very well and his brother (God rest their souls) and have on many occasions spoken with and had interactions with Roger and his people. He was nothing but gracious with the little team that could directly across the drive from him. Food/parts/help were available but for the asking. He made a lot happen for us.

I see this as a huge positive in resting the hallowed grounds of the Speedway from the clutches of the morons that are ruining it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I will also say that the Hulman-George family has been great to ours, always making us feel like part of their family around IMS. One year Mari George even put in a personal request to pick up credentials at her mouse house (small green and white residence on IMS grounds) when there was an oversight at the credential office. I have nothing but the upmost respect for their family and what they have done for the Speedway and wish them nothing but good health and good fortune going forward.

And as for any contrived animosity between our family and Roger Penske, this is all complete BS. Dad always took responsibility for deciding to go to Syracuse where he he crashed a dirt car and ultimately lost his ride with Penske. Penske made a proper business decision in releasing dad from his contract and dad never disagreed with it. Roger showed up at dad’s little memorial service and he has been nothing but as kind and gracious as he could be to our family through the years. For what it’s worth he pegs my respect meter.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It's my understanding that Roger didn't personally make the deal. Penske Enterprises (Worth 32 BILLION) will be making the purchase. So when Roger eventually and sadly fades in to the sunset, the corporation will carry on. I'd imagine they have a decent plan for what happens then.

Top Bottom