• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA

Over the years, as a police officer and bouncer, I have suffered the unpleasant reactions of many when I told them "NO". They have ranged from awkward smiles and compliance, to people going to jail and parking lot fights. Let's take a look at why that small two letter word enrages people.

Just think about how many times you hear 'NO" from birth through childhood. People of authority, first your parents, other family, and then teachers tell you "NO" thousands of times. Except for the teachers, only those people can follow up their command with physical force ranging from dragging you away from a display to a spanking. As a kid, when you hear "NO" it is usually denying you food or continuing a certain behavior. Depending on whether or not it was done with love can make a huge difference in the way that a person will react to that word as an adult. More and more these day you have the total opposite.

You also have people both rich and poor who are not used to being told "NO" or that there are no consequences to not complying. Once an adult, except for the police, there are few people that can legally back up being told "NO" with physical force. So for most people, myself included, "NO" basically means that I need to find another way to accomplish my goal. When someone tells me "NO", I don't get angry, I typically look for a way to "go around" them to get my needs met. We all do this. It is basically a survival instinct. Here is the problem. I am a peaceful, relatively sensible person. Not high on drugs or alcohol, pretty much free of mental illness. This means that in any situation I am able to quickly evaluate my options and choose those that will not draw unwanted attention to myself, or in anyway harm other people, including the person that told me "NO". Both my professional and personal life are stable. Unfortunately, the reasons I have described above that minimize the chance of me even raising my voice to someone who tells me "NO" are often absent from many in our society. People seem to be stressed out more than ever, and depending on what you are denying them by telling them "NO", no matter how insignificant it may be to you, may to them be life and death. You never know where on a persons path you are meeting them or what is going on in their life. Try to treat everyone with kindness and respect, but be prepared for anything.

The bottom line is that from bouncer to bartender, and from receptionist to flight attendant, if you work with the public you are going to have to tell people "NO". They are not going to like it. In some cases, now more than ever, they can escalate to physical violence. How do you minimize and mitigate that reality? First of all, you need to become a student of human behavior.

First of all, try to get a "hook" with everyone you encounter. A hook. as I was taught in my time as a Crisis Negotiator, is something you can use to relate to a person in crisis that has nothing to do with the matter at hand. Notice I said everyone, and not just while you are working. We all do this to an extent, but you need to cultivate it. This is the first step in learning to create a fast mental profile of everyone you meet. Soon it will become second nature. Here are some of my favorite hooks.

Learn symbolism- do you know what a Masonic symbol looks like? How about the Alcoholics Anonymous symbols? You will see these on people and vehicles. If you see a symbol you are not familiar with, research it, or better yet ask the person. In most cases, they will be happy to tell you all about it. Now not only have you identified a hook, but you have used it to engage in dialogue.

Clothing- some people just throw clothes on, but most people are trying to tell you something. Take notice of what it says on their hoodie or hat. Is it a sports team? A Veterans organization? As a Veteran, I never pass up a chance to thank someone for their service after identifying them from what they wear or what they say.

Language- Just about every profession has a language all to itself. If you are at a convenience store getting coffee and two people come in together and you overhear them using phrases that you are not familiar with, ask them what they do. Believe me, they will tell you.

Brands- even though I am a man, I am relativity familiar with brands of women's clothes. I developed this while working as a doorman at a pub at a high end golf course. The same is true for vehicles. Ask any guy about his car, truck, or motorcycle and you will not be able to shut him up. For some odd reason, I also know a fair amount about men's boots.

Locations- where you encounter people says a lot about them. If you are at a ball game and they are all decked out in the home team's jersey and hat, there is a good chance they are more than a casual fan. Sports fans love to talk about their teams.

After a while of practicing and noticing these and other hooks, both personally and professionally, you will soon be putting them to use in your daily life. It is no different than when I compliment on how good my wife's hair looks before I tell the garage bill on my motorcycle ended up being more than expected. It might not totally protect me, but it will soften the blow...I hope.

To make hooks valuable, especially in a customer service application, you need to identify them and use them upon first contact. It will hopefully lead to a little small talk before business, allowing you to build a rapport with the person. Getting them to talk for a minute about the hook you have identified can be like giving them a verbal Xanax. Now, if you need to deny them something, they will be less likely to escalate, at least on you, because in their mind you "know each other".

Part II - Deescalating angry people.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I typically have a pointed reason for saying "No." Not knowing the person and not wanting to stick around to get to know them...

Others may call it, "Target De-selection"

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    When I used to do customer service troubleshooting I was trained to never say 'No'. Nor 'I can't do that.' Don't tell them what you can't do. Tell them what you can or will do to help them. I realize this won't always be possible in an LE scenario. Nonetheless what you are basically looking to do is express some sympathy with the person and not just put up a Wall of Nope. Maybe you gotta take someone to jail, no way out of it. Maybe you have someone who isn't evil, just stressing really bad over the situation. Offer to make a phone call for them? Let their car sit until someone can get it rather then having it towed? I dunno. I've seen a lot of FB posts where people fall all over themselves with gratitude because a LEO chose to show a bit of sympathy and humanity rather then being a hard ass. It does work wonders.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    In a correctional setting, saying no quick is easiest. Or, let me look into it , just never make a promise or give your word cause then your "locked".
    Inmates are excellent in developing "hooks" and will actually read up on things to make a conversation or connection.

Good stuff OP.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    My job is to negotiate with customers. I use "No" as a way to control the conversation when they have stated their wishes or demands. I use the No to end that and back it up with stating what I am willing to do. It is more of a turning point and me taking the reigns of the conversation. I have had trainers tell me to never say No to a customer, I call BS and have proved them wrong.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I typically have a pointed reason for saying "No." Not knowing the person and not wanting to stick around to get to know them...

Others may call it, "Target De-selection"

This is a good point. Not everyone who is using a "hook," who is using the psychology to build rapport, is on the up and up. They just want to delay your escalation to violence (or escape) until they can do so, overwhelmingly, themselves. Psychology works in both directions. Learning how to use these "hooks" helps you recognize when they are being used on you, and judging the sincerity of that effort.

People who owe the business I work in often try the same "hooks" to get me to do something besides demand payment soon or sell the contents of their storage unit (i.e. they want me to keep giving them "free" storage). I usually have a pretty good idea before they come in of what my objectives are and exactly what I want out of a deal, and as long as I keep that in mind the "hooks" don't do much to dissuade me from my objectives. (Atho when someone plays the "veteran" card to get out of paying bills, it kind of works in reverse -- that really aggravates me. I'm a veteran too, so is the owner, we pay our bills, and I haven't seen anyone owing back rent yet because of anything to do with being veterans, as opposed to being irresponsible).

Top Bottom