People Rescued During Hurricane Florence - Should they be financially liable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This is a slippery slope indeed. We only have so many 1st responders in any given area to meet the demands of the local tax payers.
    It takes some time and huge efforts to gear up anything Federal. Fema is not standing by. They could and should be at the ready of course.
    There is always going to be a group of folks that will not leave. Always has been. Always will be.

I think the unsung heros in these situations are the regular citizens that mount rescue efforts on their own dime/time/risk/equipment to save people and pets. The stories are endless if you look for them. I truly believe that with out those effort many many more lives would be negatively effected. How would you pay those people back.
    How would you pay them back?
    You realize you are in a community worth working for and fighting for. You pay them back by upping your own efforts and continue to make your home a better place to live. It's a place worth living.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How would you pay them back?
    You realize you are in a community worth working for and fighting for. You pay them back by upping your own efforts and continue to make your home a better place to live. It's a place worth living.

Bingo.

I know 2 people that loaded out and rolled to Texas with their boats and gear. Those folks sat in a line over a mile long to get in and disperse to help. Their gear, their time and their nickle. There are so many amazing people out there that we just do not spend enough time on.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    No

You can't get blood from a turnup. Some of those staying behind have limited assets. Some may be staying to "protect" what little they have. They wait too long and lose everything. Insurance (if they have it) barely covers their financial loss. So how are you going to collect $500, $1,000, $10,000...

There are lots of people that are just plain stupid or stubborn. There are also those who don't have the means to leave. They may not own a car. Are you going to let some sketchy looking person ride in your vehicle with your family and gear? The old couple noted above with the paraplegic that has ticked off all of their neighbors over the years or are hermits who don't know their neighbors won't have anyone to help them evacuate early on before it is a crisis.

Makes me mad as a taxpayer to have to bear the burden of other people's stupidity but there are many people/things I find stupid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No

You can't get blood from a turnup. Some of those staying behind have limited assets. Some may be staying to "protect" what little they have. They wait too long and lose everything. Insurance (if they have it) barely covers their financial loss. So how are you going to collect $500, $1,000, $10,000...

There are lots of people that are just plain stupid or stubborn. There are also those who don't have the means to leave. They may not own a car. Are you going to let some sketchy looking person ride in your vehicle with your family and gear? The old couple noted above with the paraplegic that has ticked off all of their neighbors over the years or are hermits who don't know their neighbors won't have anyone to help them evacuate early on before it is a crisis.

Makes me mad as a taxpayer to have to bear the burden of other people's stupidity but there are many people/things I find stupid.

What frosts my butt is my Flood insurance that I am forced to have for living in an imagined flood zone. This money is used to cover those idiots that choose to live by the river that always floods. And yes it is a scam for those of us that will never use it. Last year was $800 each for 2 houses.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    What frosts my butt is my Flood insurance that I am forced to have for living in an imagined flood zone. This money is used to cover those idiots that choose to live by the river that always floods. And yes it is a scam for those of us that will never use it. Last year was $800 each for 2 houses.

And that $800 for each house is dirt azz cheap compared to those that actually live in a flood plain. Last time we flooded was 2008.
    The time before that was 1913.
    I can't swear to it BUT I/we were told our flooding was due to a faulty spillway not up to snuff.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I think stupid should have a cost. But for those who say it should be covered by taxes should everyday EMS calls be charged to citizens?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And that $800 for each house is dirt azz cheap compared to those that actually live in a flood plain. Last time we flooded was 2008.
    The time before that was 1913.
    I can't swear to it BUT I/we were told our flooding was due to a faulty spillway not up to snuff.

The last and only time we have seen any real water back up here was due to the sewer maint. or the total lack there of. It had been years since we the "Tax" payers had any clean out Maint. performed on the mains. Our street and the one behind would get over a foot deep in a heavy rain. It was very entertaining to watch idiots plow into that small lake and it took a concerted effort from all who live here to bombard the mayors action hot line to get this fixed. Once it was done no more standing water yet we are still getting smashed for FEMA bravo Sierra.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hell yeah they should, I hate the poors and really only want them to get more poor. I don't pay taxes for organizations like FEMA for any of that stuff for these exact things. Hell if it were up to me, I'd have the police throw em in the ocean since they seem to like gettin wet so much!

I seriously hope this was in jest. If not lets get this back on track.
    If satire intended pleas use purple so we all know your intent.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you build a dollar general and a temp service right next to a section 8 housing complex, I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me what gets looted first after a hurricane

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    yes bouncing around a lot today and making some zingers. One of his other accounts must have gotten shut down so he had to activate one of the ones in waiting

Just cause he joined 8 months ago, and just now made his 21 posts in the last hour?
    Maybe he just needed time to find his voice?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, you could have made 2 posts a week.
    that don't seem too hard.

You could pony up the 20 (or is it 25) dollars to be a site supporter.

Or, you could complain about the "silly 50 posts rule" while you skirt being kicked off.

Maybe Armslist or GunBroker is more your style. They don't have a silly 50 posts rule.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Nope, need to sell a gun n ya'll got that silly 50 post rule so I'm having fun with it, just like we all do with our firearms :^)
    You can pay $20 to be a site supporter and you dont have to make 50 posts. It gives you better access to messaging too and helps the site.

Theres a banner on this side of the screen that explains it better >>>>

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm torn on this one.

evacuations were mandatory, declared so by the government. during the period when this is in effect, yes, I think that elaborate rescues, eg by helo or boat are out of the scope of typical emergency services. The government, the same one folks say we pay taxes to so they can rescue you, also told you not to be there. It wasn't a suggestion, it was mandatory.

I also think some of it could be done better/cheaper by the government and volunteer orgs... How many buses could have gone around in advance of the storm to pick up elderly, poor, etc to take to shelters in-land for the cost of one helo extraction? Now if after the fact there is some mechanism to submit income, old tax returns, show medical history, and generally make a case for why the evacuation was a hardship then maybe if you pay or how much can be adjudicated, but people shouldn't assume a basket ride up to a helo will be free.

I'd likely be one to ignore an evacuation notice if I thought I and my home could handle it. But that said, when I lived on the east cost we had two hurricanes in the time I owned my home. Both just as they hit were downgraded to tropical storms. I knew I had no flood concerns, but my home was built with match sticks (walls all built w/ 2x3s, not 2x4s!). I wouldn't have stayed for more than a cat1, and I wouldn't really have been comfortable at cat1. Tornados are always a concern w/in hurricanes, too. I had arrangements already in place for other places to stay, ranging from still w/in the area to back here in the Midwest...

Worst damage I had from each hurricane / tropical storm was I lost a tree in each. Storm surge flooded Annapolis in one, but hey if you just have to live by the water....... :dunno:

-rvb

Top Bottom