• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm going to vent a little here because I know you guys will sympathize or at least empathize with me. I got in to another argument with my sister last night. I dearly love her and the argument was no enough to come between us. I made a pro gun statement and she responded with her usual "I don't see why anyone needs guns" response. It drives me crazy. I had this argument at Christmas time when she found out I was carrying a gun in her house. I told her I would gladly leave. She said no, just put it in my car. I told her that I did not have a secure enough place in my car I would just leave.

My brother comes over to where we were talking any says what's up? I fill him in. He said he and his wife would leave to (they carry too) We all CC and totally respect her option and house rules. She caves and says don't bother about it.

So I finally got the reason out of her why she hates guns. I guess years ago one of my cousins talked her in to shooting a gun that was way to big for someone with no experience. I'll probably punch him when I see him again. She was hurt from the recoil. Every since that experience she has had a fear of guns.

My reason for posting(besides venting) is to let those that find it "amusing" to set someone up to fire something they can't handle that you are probably creating tomorrows gun haters. I have a little more understanding about the way she feels now. I am still going to work at getting her more comfortable around guns. My brother and I have offered to take her to a safe place to watch us shoot and or maybe even try it her self. She still not interested but maybe in time. I hope!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get mad at people that set beginners up to fail, also.
    But still, I get mad at people that don't see why younshould have one, just because they don't want one.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a sister that I imagine would be the same out me bringing guns to her house, but we've actually never had the conversation. She lives in another state and I haven't seen her since I started carrying. Of course I want to offer to take her to the range if she's open to it.

I definitely will be starting her off with something small.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    IDIOTS. PURE IDIOTS. I want to take people aside when I am at the range when they give a friend/family/wife/girlfriend an Airweight .357 with planet cracking 125gr Remmy UMC Mangle-ums, .44 Magnums or lightweight .45s and give them a piece of my mind. They laugh and laugh when the shooter puts it down with disgust, then wonders why she is mad. Aggravates the heck out of me EVERY single time I see it and it happens a lot. Morons need to get their head screwed on straight.

People: If you take your girlfriend or wife or family out to shoot, spend more dag-gum time showing them how to shoot rather than trying to film them with your phone camera you moron. Save the YouTube or Facebook photo/video crap for later and do some proper shooting/instruction.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I get mad at people that set beginners up to fail, also.
    But still, I get mad at people that don't see why younshould have one, just because they don't want one.

Yep. +1. I dont believe in abortions, smoking, or being gay. But I dont think its my place to ban them.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Yep. +1. I dont believe in abortions, smoking, or being gay. But I dont think its my place to ban them.

The irony is most of those who support abortions or being gay tend to be anti-gun. Just an fyi that we all probably know.

I agree with the concept though. If someone does not like guns then don't buy them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Everyone likes guns. Everyone.

Even the self-professed gun haters aways have guns around.

Four Chinooks full of guns landed in Washington Park in Hyde Park for Barack Obama. They hauled 4 Chinooks of guns and ammo out of Washington Park and put it in his place in Kenwood. USSS on the roofs of the neighbors with M110s.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am pretty lucky in this regard. We have a big family and none of them are anti-gun. Just recently one of my sisters was up from LA for another sisters wedding. While we were at the wedding rehearsal she showed me the pictures of her and her Pastor husband shooting their CCW course. Another sister that was there from SC turned to her boyfriend and asked if he brought his EDC. He had. Even so, I think I was probably the only one carrrying at the wedding.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    IDIOTS. PURE IDIOTS. I want to take people aside when I am at the range when they give a friend/family/wife/girlfriend an Airweight .357 with planet cracking 125gr Remmy UMC Mangle-ums, .44 Magnums or lightweight .45s and give them a piece of my mind. They laugh and laugh when the shooter puts it down with disgust, then wonders why she is mad. Aggravates the heck out of me EVERY single time I see it and it happens a lot. Morons need to get their head screwed on straight.

People: If you take your girlfriend or wife or family out to shoot, spend more dag-gum time showing them how to shoot rather than trying to film them with your phone camera you moron. Save the YouTube or Facebook photo/video crap for later and do some proper shooting/instruction.
    question what do you do when you can't convince some one on there first trip to the range there not ready for a slug gun? cause i had this happen and my girlfriend was mad as hell i wouldn't let here set it off. is there a good way to talk them down from it?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

:+1: Not only is it scaring them to the point of hating guns, it's very dangerous for someone to have a firearm they can't handle and are "mad" at.:twocents:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    question what do you do when you can't convince some one on there first trip to the range there not ready for a slug gun? cause i had this happen and my girlfriend was mad as hell i wouldn't let here set it off. is there a good way to talk them down from it?
    I make them start with the .22 and work them up from there. No matter what, the first time a new shooter fires any of my guns, there is only 1 bullet in it. If they control it sufficiently, load it up and have at it.

Hoosier Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In regards to the OP, I used to be an instructor. I watched this happen so many times I actually yelled at one guy on the range I was monitoring. Not much pisses me off more than this and the people doing it usually came across as total sexist douchebags.

Im sure they didn't realize they were creating gun haters but you could see the fear in the eyes of their studen after their initial experience. This WAS someone interested enough to the range and try shooting sports and the jackass they chose to help them ruined that interest. They screwed over their friend or sig other as well as all of us that support the shooting sports and firearms rights in general.

sorry for the long winded rant but to the OP yes I feel your pain.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I don't like guns either -- I hate them so much I shoot them!!! :joke:

I just flew in from Memphis, and boy, are my arms tired! :joke:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    My reason for posting(besides venting) is to let those that find it "amusing" to set someone up to fire something they can't handle that you are probably creating tomorrows gun haters.

They will learn a few things from this experience:

1. Gun people are jerks.
    2. Gun = humiliation.
    3. Gun = dangerous, because they almost got hurt.
    4. They can't ever get good at shooting, so they might as well just give up.

It's one thing to see a cute girl shoot a gun competently. It's another to see a cute girl who's been set up to shoot a gun she can't handle, gets scared, maybe giggles nervously. That's just sexist crap aimed at promoting the idea that women are dumb eye candy.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    So I finally got the reason out of her why she hates guns. I guess years ago one of my cousins talked her in to shooting a gun that was way to big for someone with no experience. I'll probably punch him when I see him again. She was hurt from the recoil. Every since that experience she has had a fear of guns.
    Witnessed a few instances like that before, too.
    Jackasses weren't really interested in enjoying shooting with their better halves, but seemed out to make fun of or belittle them.
    What kind of piece of :poop: would ridicule or make fun of his wife or girlfriend?

Agree. I want my wife/girlfriend/s.o. to have complete confidence with that weapon and be able to shoot as good or better than me (not hard to do on that last part).

Last edited:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I make them start with the .22 and work them up from there. No matter what, the first time a new shooter fires any of my guns, there is only 1 bullet in it. If they control it sufficiently, load it up and have at it.

Agreed. This is how I started my teenage daughter. She didn't show much interest in guns until she was 14. I had her to the range a few times with a .22 revolver (6" bbl.), until she was safely handling it, shooting well, and was confident with it.
    I generally carry a 1911 (.45 ACP). While at the range one day, she expressed interest in shooting it. I explained that the recoil was much stronger than the .22 revolver, but she could try it out. She was a tad hesitant & nervous, so I stood behind her, put my arms forward & steadied her hands, told her to relax & we slowly squeezed the trigger together. It startled her, but she was pleased with herself & my for support. I then let her try it on her own & she did quite well. She at one point, turned to me & said, "It's not so bad!" (with a Cheshire Cat grin on her face).
    Now, when we plan to go to the range, she asks, in an excited manner, "Are we shooting the .45?!" The girl is hooked! She told me a couple months ago, that she wants her own 1911. And now that she is 18... It just may happen.;)

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    When I have being people who never shot I always let them handle a safe empty weapon first. I have them dry fire it so they know what the trigger feels like and then when they are comfortable I start them off with a .22 or a 9mm depending on what I have brought with. If it is a day I bring lots of guns I offer to them if they want to try another caliber and if they are interested I explain the fundamentals are the same squeeze the trigger and it fires may have a little more kick I also sometimes will fire it first to let them see how it shoots. I tried this with my wife who is anti gun and she shot and was like whatever and still does not like them. To the OP good luck on getting your sister to shoot.

Top Bottom