• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Any comment on the Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) content of various pepper sprays? I've seen it vary from 3% up to 18%.

Buying this for my girlfriend to keep in her purse. Is going with the highest concentration of OC the way to go?

Anything to avoid?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If you want something that will burn the eyes out of satan himself, go with Freeze +P. The next best would be Fox.

Freeze-P-Pepper-Spray-Tear-Gas_91060D6D.jpg

o.c._max192w.jpg

Don't waste your time with anything from First Defense. And don't buy foams that can be thrown back at you.

Also buy her an ASP or Monadnock expandable baton...in case the CS/OC doesn't work. And get her trained to use it.

ACFgwzruA.jpg

Last edited:

AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    The % in O.C. is the dilution of the O.C concentration. I.E. the lower the %, the lower the dilution, the "hotter" the spray. So the 5.5% spray Armor Holdings (Def-Tec) makes is rated and 750,000 scoville heat units, which is Hot. compare that to say taco Bell's Hottest sauce which is approx 50 scoville heat units. Before I received a "voluntary" hit of 5.5% O.C. for training someone described it as dipping your face in hot bacon grease. Now the person describing this sensation to me was NOT horribly burned and disfigured from dipping their face in hot bacon grease so i figured they were FOS. Then I got hit by the stuff and I realized that is the best way to describe it. I belive that as far as less lethal defense sprays go O.C. is the best way to go. The mixed stuff (freeze+p, Fox) contains a higher % O.C dillution and there for is less effetcive. And the other ingredient in those sprays weather it be C.N or C.S effect a smaller percentage if the population. So if the main ingrediant in a defensive spray (C.N. or C.S.) is less effective and the minor ingredient (O.C.) is watered down then why bother with the weak stuff. Plain old O.C. FTW IMO.

There is my 2 cents.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The % in O.C. is the dilution of the O.C concentration. I.E. the lower the %, the lower the dilution, the "hotter" the spray. So the 5.5% spray Armor Holdings (Def-Tec) makes is rated and 750,000 scoville heat units, which is Hot. compare that to say taco Bell's Hottest sauce which is approx 50 scoville heat units. Before I received a "voluntary" hit of 5.5% O.C. for training someone described it as dipping your face in hot bacon grease. Now the person describing this sensation to me was NOT horribly burned and disfigured from dipping their face in hot bacon grease so i figured they were FOS. Then I got hit by the stuff and I realized that is the best way to describe it. I belive that as far as less lethal defense sprays go O.C. is the best way to go. The mixed stuff (freeze+p, Fox) contains a higher % O.C dillution and there for is less effetcive. And the other ingredient in those sprays weather it be C.N or C.S effect a smaller percentage if the population. So if the main ingrediant in a defensive spray (C.N. or C.S.) is less effective and the minor ingredient (O.C.) is watered down then why bother with the weak stuff. Plain old O.C. FTW IMO.

There is my 2 cents.
    Fox is rated at 5.3 million SHU. I believe Freeze +P is greater...I think. :dunno: I know it felt as if it burned more...personally.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Fox is rated at 5.3 million SHU. I believe Freeze +P is greater...I think. :dunno: I know it felt as if it burned more...personally.
    The only rating I found for Freeze +p was 2 million SHU, but it contains CS and OC.

What kind of legal repurcussions, if any, would someone face if OC spray was used in a situation that merited its use?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    What kind of legal repurcussions, if any, would someone face if OC spray was used in a situation that merited its use?

INAL or LEO , but I'm pretty sure that if you felt in your heart / gut that you REALLY , ABSOLUTELY HAD TO USE IT to prevent something bad from happening to you , then it's self defense .

And hey , at least everyone can live past this experience , unlike shooting someone .

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo

There is my 2 cents.

Don't forget a couple things about o.c. First-learn how to deploy it w/o becoming a victim yourself. Second-it doesn't work on everyone.Some people are naturally immune and persons under the influence of PCP/methamphetamine/Ecstacy will not be dramatically effected by o.c. or o.c./cs sprays. The only true way to incapacitate someone is by disruption of the central nervous system either by electrical stimulus such as Taser or by injury.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thanks for the info guys. I discovered this explanation on the internet:

OC Concentration
    Pepper Spray Concentration
    Confusion abounds concerning the efficacy of various pepper (oleoresin capsicum "OC") sprays because of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's labeling system. Often a consumer of civilian OC defense spray will see "5%" or "10%" pepper spray claims on a canister. Unfortunately, these percentages do not correlate with efficacy because they only measure the percentage of OC relative to the other ingredients in the canister. These other ingredients include the carrier for the OC, a propellant, and often marking dyes or other chemicals. An over-the-counter "10%" spray contains 10% Oleoresin Capsicum relative to the rest of the ingredients. What the OC concentration does not measure is the concentration of the active ingredients (Capsaicin) in the OC formulation. OC concentration therefore, only represents the amount of OC (oily resin) in a canister and not its strength. The heat or strength of OC is measured by the quantity of an active ingredient called Capsaicin*. Therefore, the higher the Capsaicin amount, the hotter the OC. * Capsaicin is the ingredient within the OC that causes inflammation of mucous membranes. The reason some peppers are hotter than others is due to the amount of capsaicin. Capsaicin percentage changes depending on the pepper species, geographical origin and climatic growth conditions as well as upon oleoresin extraction and formulation processes. For example an OC spray with 5.5% concentration can be 5 times hotter than one with 10% OC concentration.

I like the baton idea. I might look for one.

Now for selecting a brand, I have heard others promoting Fox & Freeze+P. I was surprised to hear one member say that they were more diluted, and less effective.

Last edited:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I carry the Fox brand.

...and it has completely incapacitated me everytime I've been hit with it. :runaway:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I had a gentleman one night who was extremely intoxicated ball up his fists and assume an aggressive stance. I took out my can of Fox and began shaking it slowly, hoping that would diffuse the situation. It generally did.

He then proceeded to exclaim that he was immune to 21 different chemical agents. I gave him one more opportunity to turn around to be cuffed up. He declined the offer and I had already decided that I was not going to wrestle around with him.

We'll just say that apparently Fox was not one of the 21 chemical agents he was immune to. :):

The bad thing about the old Fox was they used a chemical that was commonly used as a brake cleaner as the propellant. It seems there were a couple of documented cases of people's clothing bursting into flames if the Fox got on them and then they were tased. :eek:
    taseraa0.gif
    :flamethrower:

That would just ruin your whole evening. They have since corrected that flaw.

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Hopefully you find this old article helpful.

Pepper Spray 101 By James Yeager

People use the word "mace" as a generic term for any type or brand of aerosol chemical weapon. They use it much in the same way as saying Kleenex for any facial tissue. Shop wisely because not all personal defense sprays are created equally. Some people choose them because OC can be carried in some places that guns are not allowed. Others just want more options.
    The single biggest misconception about aerosol chemical weapons is the "percentage" of O.C. (Oleoresin Capsicum) like 5% or 10%. A person might be led to believe the 10% formula is better than a lower one like 5%. The higher percentages make it last LONGER because there is more pepper in that formula. They do not make it HOTTER and heat is what makes it effective.
    Let’s say brand “A” uses a very low grade of pepper and makes the formula 10%. Brand “F” uses the highest quality peppers available and makes the formula 2%. The only way to determine how good either of them might be is to check the label for Scoville Heat Units. Heat is what makes O.C. effective. Heat of O.C. is measured by S.H.U.s (Scoville Heat Units). In my opinion, you should consider nothing less than 1 million S.H.U.s, for self-protection or Law Enforcement work. Fox Labs International has a 2% formulation, which increases recovery time, but it is 5.3 million S.H.U.s, which makes it the hottest spray on the market.
    Another misconception is that the O.C. spray will affect people of different ethnic backgrounds less because they eat so many peppers as part of their staple diet. This is absolutely not true.
    The three physical effects that you want your formula to cause are a burning sensation of the contaminated skin, respiratory distress, and an involuntary eye closure. The burning sensation is the least important tactically. The desired respiratory effect is to decrease the ability for the badguy breath enough to keep attacking you. The involuntary eye closure is the most important tactically. The O.C. dries the fluids in the eye on contact and forces the person to shut their eyes. If the potential felon can’t see you it will be more difficult to catch or kill you.
    Most Personal Defense Sprays are available in Fog, Cone (sometimes called Mist), Stream and Foam. Each of these spray patterns has its strong points. Fog is the most effective delivery system because it is the most readily inhaled. It causes the most cross contamination onto unintended areas and is the easiest to blow back into your own face. Cone has a “shotgun” type pattern and is my personal favorite for general use. It has a more wind resistant delivery but still atomizes the OC well for inhalation. Steam is not inhaled as readily but has the greatest distance and even less likelihood of blowback. Foam has an almost shaving cream type consistency. It is highly unlikely it will be blown back by wind and is the best choice for indoor use as it causes the least cross contamination. Foam however is the least effective because it is rarely inhaled.
    Some manufacturers would have you believe their product is superior to any other defensive option. Nothing works 100% of the time. NOTHING. Not your shotgun, not your baton, not your brain. Do not fall into the trap of thinking your O.C. will handle anything that comes along. It will not. Beware of any company who says their spray is the greatest thing ever invented. I have seen demonstrations of people sprayed with pepper sprays and still attack. Goal oriented people. They are dangerous and you must remain vigilant.
    You must also have a back-up plan. Just like going to your back-up gun if your primary becomes damaged or taken. If your OC doesn’t work you need to be prepared to go to a higher level of force or be ready to run away. Always keep in mind your self defense tools are likely to give lackluster performance when it comes down to it.
    If you carry OC as a defensive option put some thought into it. Just like with your gun-holster-ammo combination. Police officers use the OC on their belt far more often than the gun beside it. Consider which spray pattern and formulation will best suit your needs. Also consider placing several cans in strategic locations like in the car, at the office, by the front door and in your vest pocket.
    Using OC isn’t as complicated as shooting but you do need to practice with it. Many companies sell inert training units that will work for practice but I suggest just using a live can. Practice like you would use it and think ahead and know which way the wind is blowing. If it blows back into your face have you really made yourself safer?
    While on the topic of accidentally (or otherwise) being sprayed there are some simple guidelines you can follow to speed recovery along. Water and lots of it will help immensely. If you have non-oil based soap available (like Dawn or J&J baby shampoo) you should use it to wash the excess spray out of your hair and off your face. Make sure to get it all so you don’t get recontaminated later when you shower. Never use salves or creams to ease the burning sensation. It will only trap the OC under the skin and cause blistering. Never remove another persons contact lenses, always let a medical professional take them out.
    If you ever are forced to spray someone you should move afterward. Two or three one half second bursts will do it. If the face is covered it will make it no hotter to spray more and it could actually wash some off. It should produce a reaction within three seconds of contact. If you do not get the desired effect go to your “plan B”.
    Chemical Weapons can be a good choice for people who choose not to have a gun. They can also help us bridge the gap between no force and lethal force. If chosen and used correctly they can be a great asset to anyone who is worried about their personal safety.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    We'll just say that apparently Fox was not one of the 21 chemical agents he was immune to. :):

The bad thing about the old Fox was they used a chemical that was commonly used as a brake cleaner as the propellant. It seems there were a couple of documented cases of people's clothing bursting into flames if the Fox got on them and then they were tased. :eek:
    taseraa0.gif
    :flamethrower:

That would just ruin your whole evening. They have since corrected that flaw.

So how do I get the old formula? :D

FOX sounds like good stuff. I'll need a keychain sized bottle for her.

Thanks for that awesome article Shay. Can you tell me the source link?

Top Bottom