• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Recently I had a colleague who claimed that 7 out to 10 people carry in public. I cannot beleive the real number would be anywhere near 70%. My guess is that maybe 70% of homes contain guns and this fact had been misquoted. I would think the percent of people in public who carry would be more like 3-5%. Anyone heard any reliable figures?
    ---
    GB!

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    Don't know how reliable the following is but I found a poll that shows only 30% of US households have a gun. But it goes on to say that on average 67% of these use their guns for defense.
    Polls where from 2000 and 2005 with very consistent date in each despite the five yr diff.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recently I had a colleague who claimed that 7 out to 10 people carry in public. I cannot beleive the real number would be anywhere near 70%. My guess is that maybe 70% of homes contain guns and this fact had been misquoted. I would think the percent of people in public who carry would be more like 3-5%. Anyone heard any reliable figures?
    ---
    GB!
    You should be suspicious of every single statistic you hear. Also, it helps to question what the statistic means. Assuming the statistic has a shred of truth (not saying it does), it could mean that 70% of people with licenses carry and not 70% of the general population. Also, where did the statistic come from (who did the poll)? Was it the pro-gun or anti-gun people? Under what circumstance was the poll given? Etc, Etc. Statistics can be manipulated in so many ways, it makes it almost meaningless.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    But some people get a license, and don't carry. That would drag the % down a little.

indeed. I know 3 people who have the LTCH and have never carried once.

Two of them (a couple) don't even own a gun. :n00b: After signing up, she decided he wasn't mature enough to own one. Combined with her hoplophobia, they just wasted $250. :laugh:

gvonpaul

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Statistics are like Legos; you can build all kinds of really cool things with them, but in the end, they're still just little plastic blocks of nothing.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Less than 0%.

Its too ouchy, it makes it hard to do etc etc etc.

I know hundreds of people who TALK anout carrying....

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I wondered this very stat last night as I sat in a packed Texas Roadhouse! I thought about standing up on my chair yelling "may I have your attention"? As if it were for a birthday, and asking for a big YEE HAWWW from everyone who is packin!
    On a side note, i noticed a very nice looking fella at the movie store all dressed up in his best sweat pants (down around the bottom of his back side), menacing facial tatts, neck tatts, and an unholstered glock in the waste band of his sagging britches! I thought well, he must be a wonderful, SMART, law abiding citizen! Needless to say I was thankful my family wasnt with me in the event that piece fell out of his wonderful securement system!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The last I spoke with ISP Lt. Jerry Berkey, who was, then, in charge of the LTCHs in Indiana, the percentage was approximately 5%. At that time, there were a modest number of people counted twice, because they had gotten the lifetime license while still having a valid four-year version.

LT. Berkey has been reassigned to another capacity in the ISP, and I haven't spoken with his successor, Lt. Troy McElfresh, about current percentages. However, I am confident the percentage hasn't changed much, with a total population of a little over 6.5 million and approximately 330, 000 LTCH holders.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Any time people ask me questions where I think the answers are liable to be used statistically, I either don't answer, or answer to skew the statistics wrong. I'll admit to carrying unless I think it means something beyond your personal interest. I do this partly for privacy reasons, but partly also purely to poison the well. I put "3" on my census form, and that was all. It kind of upset them, but it was all they were getting. If they'd been able to compel more from me, I would likely have forgotten a lot of things and had to, um, "estimate".

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The last I spoke with ISP Lt. Jerry Berkey, who was, then, in charge of the LTCHs in Indiana, the percentage was approximately 5%. At that time, there were a modest number of people counted twice, because they had gotten the lifetime license while still having a valid four-year version.

LT. Berkey has been reassigned to another capacity in the ISP, and I haven't spoken with his successor, Lt. Troy McElfresh, about current percentages. However, I am confident the percentage hasn't changed much, with a total population of a little over 6.5 million and approximately 330, 000 LTCH holders.

24.8% 0f that 6.5 million are under 18 and can't have an LTCH.

We are talking about the percentage of adults that have LTCH are we not? Including that 24.8% effectively skews the data.

Indiana QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Any time people ask me questions where I think the answers are liable to be used statistically, I either don't answer, or answer to skew the statistics wrong. I'll admit to carrying unless I think it means something beyond your personal interest. I do this partly for privacy reasons, but partly also purely to poison the well. I put "3" on my census form, and that was all. It kind of upset them, but it was all they were getting. If they'd been able to compel more from me, I would likely have forgotten a lot of things and had to, um, "estimate".

Why? :dunno:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    24.8% 0f that 6.5 million are under 18 and can't have an LTCH.

We are talking about the percentage of adults that have LTCH are we not? Including that 24.8% effectively skews the data.

Indiana QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

In this particular case...not.

I don't know who "we" is, but I made it clear I was speaking of the ratio, in percent, of valid LTCHs to the population. You are, certainly, welcome to slice and dice the numbers any way you wish; however, using total permits to total population is a convenient way to compare "apples to apples" among various states.

It would be possible to use only the segment of each state's population of the requisite age and that would pass eligibility requirements, but that varies from state to state and would require a heck of a lot more work. Comparing permits to population gives rough estimations and allows time series analysis, with the understanding that a portion of the population would not qualify for the permit.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    In this particular case...not. In this particular case...not, not..

I don't know who "we" is, but I made it clear I was speaking of the ratio, in percent, of valid LTCHs to the population. We are the folks that want a snapshot of how Indiana stands vs the other states. You are, certainly, welcome to slice and dice the numbers any way you wish; however, using total permits to total population is a convenient way to compare "apples to apples" among various states. You are, certainly, welcome to complicate the numbers any way you wish; however, using total permits to the total applicable sect of the population is an accurate way to compare "apples to apples" among various states.

It would be possible to use only the segment of each state's population of the requisite age and that would pass eligibility requirements, but that varies from state to state and would require a heck of a lot more work (So by lowering the number and excluding superfluous participants one would experience more work? Interesting concept?) . Comparing permits to population gives (really) rough estimations and allows time series analysis, with the understanding (unknown quantity assumption) that a portion of the population would not qualify for the permit.

Time Series Analysis? Who intimated the undertaking of some long term analysis?

I think you fancy yourself some sort of Statistical Analyst. Whether it is your trade or you are an amateur is in question when your premise is based in complicating rather than simplifying the values.

Top Bottom