• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My original purpose in acquiring a handgun (and then another, and another) was to cover a SHTF situation. Now that I have several and am looking at more I've decided that the SHTF situation is all well and good to be prepared for but for every other situation there is a gun for that use, and no single gun can cover all needs.
    So, I have devised my perfect (for now) 5 gun loadout;

-.357 Revolver
    - 9mm semi-auto
    - small caliber sub compact ccw (ie an ankle carry something)
    - .22 LR target pistol (although what I have is actually a conversion kit for my 9mm Sig)
    - 1911 of some flavor

What do you think?

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    That's a lot of different calibers. I'd try to make the sub, and the 1911 9mm too. Or bump the 9mm up to a .45. I personally would want one or two calibers covering the majority of my guns. EG 45 for handguns and say .223 for high power rifles. Then 12 gauge for shotguns of course..22 as well. Well damn, now I am up to four.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Looks like a solid base plan. You are probably planning this already, but I would probably make the CC piece either a 9mm or a .357 (and avoid .38sp for it) to keep the ammo as compatible as possible. Even better would be if your CC was compatible with on of your full-sized speedloaders (like a 4" & a 2 1/4" SP101) or magazines (like a Glock 17 & a Glock 26, 1911 & 1911 Officers, etc.)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sounds like a reasonable mix. The differing calibers may be a logistical issue up front, but is helpful in the event of acquiring small lots of assorted ammunition as time goes by (like recovering a dozen rounds or so of perfectly good ammunition from a BG armed with a totally POS gun).

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Personally I am not a fan of having a half dozen calibers, YMMV. Stockpiling that many calibers in any kind of adequate numbers would be problematic for me. I would ditch the revolver, bump the 'small caliber' to a second 9mm, keep the .22 for a training, small game, and suppressor host, and definitely keep the .45 (though I admit to bias on that issue!) Three calibers that get the job done pretty much across the board and have literally billions of rounds available. If you reload, it also means a simpler array of components you need to stock. That being said, I have never CC'd, don't plan to start, and have thus never worried about concealability in my handguns.

It really does depend on what you see the purposes of each gun as.

Personally I would consider long guns rather than a plethora of sidearms in any SHTF scenario (since that was something that was mentioned in the OP :D).

My choices for a 'gun loadout' are more like:
    a good 7.62/.308 or 5.56/.223 semi automatic rifle
    10/22 (or your presonal preference .22 rifle here) and a good .22 pistol
    12 gauge shotgun
    9mm and .45 ACP sidearms

So, that's 7 weapons that you have trained with to the point of being confident of betting your life and the lives of your loved ones on in any situation that you may find yourself in....

IMHO, Pick one from each category that fits you and works well for you and then practice, practice, practice. Rather than having a ton of different guns, have a couple/several that you know inside and out and are very good with.:twocents:

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Yeah... not a fan of carrying lots of ammunition types. But my optimal loadout would probably be...

Ranked by importance to me:
    1.) Glock-22 (.40 cal.)
    2.) AKM/Draco (7.62x39)
    3.) Ak-74/Krinkov (5.45x39)
    4.) Kahr PM40 (.40 cal.)
    5.) Kel Tec KSG (12 Gauge)

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I would definitely either knock off the .357 or the 9mm. Maybe get a matching combo, .357 revolver and rifle OR 9mm semi-auto pistol and 9mm carbine.

I'm with pitchfork, I would love to hear your plans, and maybe what area you reside in? If you were more in the city/suburbs, then most of these handguns would make sense. I just couldn't imagine not having at least one rifle.

My perfect 5 guns?

12 gauge pump shotgun, with at least 5 shell tube.
    9mm semi-auto handgun
    9mm carbine
    .22 rifle
    Larger caliber rifle (5.56,7.62x39, I have a mosin with about 300 rounds of ammo, so I would go with 7.62x54r)

Really though, I could even cut out the carbine if I wanted to, just go with the 4.

Edit: I realize this is the handgun subforum, but I just can't do SHTF without rifles and shotguns lol.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    You need a Glock because of parts are available (9mm). You could come across this ammo or even parts when you need them.

You need a shotgun to get into places for supplies or for breaching.

You need a 10-22 to go hunting without being detected from distances. You could carry tons of rounds.

You need some type of mini14 or an AR to defend yourself from groups or to provide cover.

You need a ccw in the same caliber as your Glock. Some might say a revolver.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I was in the same frame of thought as the op, but then realized that that was a lot of different ammo to b lugging around.So now I just settle for 9mm and 223. G17 and 19 and a couple of ar's

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You need a Glock because of parts are available (9mm). You could come across this ammo or even parts when you need them.

You need a shotgun to get into places for supplies or for breaching.

You need a 10-22 to go hunting without being detected from distances. You could carry tons of rounds.

You need some type of mini14 or an AR to defend yourself from groups or to provide cover.

You need a ccw in the same caliber as your Glock. Some might say a revolver.
    For me, 12 ga. Mossy, 10/22, 22/45 MkIII, .357 Rev., 9mm semi auto, .45 semi auto, and AR 15 5.56/.223..... and a .44 mag. also...

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I agree that rifles and shotguns are essential for the over all end of the world sort of situation. When I started on this I was living in a very rural area and my plan centered on being able to get out and get closer to family for a long term hunkering down. Also, this plan included trying to look as non threatening as possible while traveling. Then firearm choices were about ability to operate for my wife (who is not well versed nor really wants to be about guns).
    As I look back on my list I will concede that the 1911 is a little vain. The way I see it my head being able to unleash a fusillade of fire from a 9mm or two or three would be overwhelming for small encounters of BG.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I find it really hard to beat the Glock/Kel-Tec Sub2000 combo for usefulness. Takes 9mm to .357 power and .40 to 10mm power. Also folds up into a backpack.

I'm currently considering selling my .44 Mag 629 Classic and .44 Marlin 1894, and replacing with .357 versions. That would allow me to get more common in primers, bullets, etc.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    It's a pretty good loadout (assuming it's all for a BOL or a BOV - that's a lot to carry). I have just a few comments though.

-.357 Revolver
    - 9mm semi-auto

You could get a 9mm or a .40 with an interchangeable .357 SIG barrel and almost fulfill the same purpose. This is one thing I love about the Sig P250. It's cheap and light to get set up with 9mm, .40 and 357 Sig. I will say though that I also have a .357 revolver, in my case an SP101 with a 3" barrel. There is just something so utilitarian about the .357 revolver. It makes too much sense not to own.

- small caliber sub compact ccw (ie an ankle carry something)

You can ankle carry a .38 or a small .357 5 shot, or a subcompact 9mm.

- .22 LR target pistol (although what I have is actually a conversion kit for my 9mm Sig)

Consider an encore pistol. I have one with a .22 barrel and a .270 barrel (you could also get 5.56 or 7.62, I just have a .270 hunting rifle to match the ammo with). Not a lot of extra weight but a ton of extra possibilities. Also not hard to get a long .357 barrel to run the same ammo as your revolver in a barrel length much more conducive to hunting.

- 1911 of some flavor

Not exactly necessary after your above loadout but why not get one? They're awesome. :D

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    You've got 5 different calibers for pistols alone.... Add in rifles and shotguns and personally I think you would be overloaded.

I'd try to consolidate as much as possible or you will be carrying nothing but ammo. My bug out guns consist of .223 and .22. (maybe 9mm pistol if I have the room)

I can suppress the .22 for silent hunting and .22 pistols are light and easy for my wife and daughter to use.

I've got an AR-15, a 15-22 and 10-22 and will be working on getting a pair of .22 pistols.

My wife and daughter can easily and effectively handle .22lr without hesitation. I can also easily suppress it and hunt with it in silence as well. The AR is for overall protection.

If I find myself in a situation where 223 or 22lr won't work, then my situational awareness failed me and a different caliber probably isn't going to change the outcome.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    5 pistols for me would be/are.

G19
    1911 in 9mm
    Ruger Mk III Bull Barrel
    M&P Shield 9MM
    Ruger single six.

only 2 calibers 9mm and .22. and both can be in either pistol or rifle configurations.

Top Bottom