• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Some of you have heard about permaculture and the use of planting food forests to supplement you food reserves. I am a Permaculture designer and can answers questions if you have any. I didn't see a specific thread on permaculture so starting one.

Here is a Podcast I am a part of. This is Part 1 of our permaculture podcasts, followed by Pt 2, then 2 podcasts with an arborist on Midwest trees, including fruit trees, pruning, diseases etc.

003 Introduction to Permaculture Part 1 | 2 Midwest Guys

I am giving a tour of our suburban permaculture designed 0.2 acre property May 18th. This is an opportunity to get some ideas of what you can do, and ask questions.

Urban farm tour and Q&A - Alternative Gardening and Homesteading (Indianapolis, IN) - Meetup

There is a tour of a permaculture farm and plant sale June 7th.

Brambleberry farm tour and plant purchase - Alternative Gardening and Homesteading (Indianapolis, IN) - Meetup

You can find some answers and info like medicinal plants you can grow, making rain barrels, aquaponics you can do in your home for under $50 at our website and examples of past permaculture designs in the portfolio section.

Wolf-Beach Farms | Growing and teaching sustainable and healthy food production

I am local on the Southside of Indy. If you have questions on permaculture, sourcing materials, land design, etc. Maybe this thread will answer some questions for others, so if you have the questions, I am sure someone else does too.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I have not personally looked into Blue-Green algae as a food source. I did investigate and research an algae that could be grown and used as a bio-fuel. There is a variety that you can convert into Bio-diesel. The main problem I found here in Indiana is the seasons. You only get a certain amount of time to grow outdoors and we do not have the sunlight levels necessary to optimize grown. Similarly, we are not the best rated for solar power. You can still do it, but comparatively to places like California, Arizona, and Florida we just don't get as much. When I did my research the best way people found to grow the algae was in long (20+ feet long) 2-3" diameter clear tubes. I have not found a good source for these either. You can do it using 2 L pop bottles on the smaller scale though. But using materials like the pop bottles it makes it harder to keep out unwanted types of growth and there are some pretty nasty things that can grow in warm waters especially if using for food. Decontamination becomes an issue. While I am all about DIY and experimentation some issues I draw the line.

owencramer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    I'm pretty close to finishing Mark Shepard's book "Restoration Agriculture" and I'm all hot to start planting chestnuts apples and hazelnuts. I'm actually thinking about looking for a different piece of land, because the lot I have now is already largely woods.

Because of my work schedule, I find his STUN philosophy incredibly attractive.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I was turned onto Mark about 3 months ago. I haven't read his book yet. Might be a winter thing. UBER busy now that we are in planting and designing season. I have watched many of his videos. He came up several times during a recent tour to a permaculture nursery and farm in southern IN as well as great speaker at Permaculture Voices conference. My personal favorit from may and I am paraphrasing "I would rather be in the field doing good, than on the internet talking about it". I took that as a dig against Wheaton and his money hungry pitches as of lately. Paul has some good info, I wouldn't have found Sepp if it were not for him, but all the "gimmi gimmie gimmie" for money and funding lately has put him last on my list of go to guys for information. Initially my opinion is he is a cross between Geoff Lawton and Joel Salatin. His take on swales and row cropping between the swales is nice touch, and his take on culling fruit trees. You may also want to check out Ben Faulk, Toby Hemingway, Joel Salatin, Sepp Holzer, Fukoka (I butcher his name and spelling every time), and while not permaculture per se, Will Allen is a great resource. I have modeled some of my designs and utilization of space from his operation in Wisconsin. I think of all of them as the big guns spreading the word and setting the bar on a global level. Then you have more local people implementing on a smaller scale and being able to interact with people on a 1:1 base. I know of about 2 dozen people here in the Midwest each doing their part on a local level. There are some impressive activities going on in and around here.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm pretty close to finishing Mark Shepard's book "Restoration Agriculture" and I'm all hot to start planting chestnuts apples and hazelnuts. I'm actually thinking about looking for a different piece of land, because the lot I have now is already largely woods.

Because of my work schedule, I find his STUN philosophy incredibly attractive.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

Mark also has a good video or two on the web, but I don't have the URL's handy.

Top Bottom