• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • p22p99qa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    I'm thinking about getting my lifetime permit. Is there any whey I can carry my pistol to and from the range without a permit? help.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You cannot take your pistol to the range without a License. Please read the INGO FAQ for complete details.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Yep. Indiana is currently reviewing the law requireing you to have a permit to transport your weapon. As it stands, you can ONLY bring a gun from the shop to your home, and to go get it repaired. Life time CCW's permit is the way to go. Its so easy I got mine when I was over seas. Just came to my town hall intervied and they gave it to me on the spot. And fyi, congress is also looking at passing a law reguarding state specific CCW's. So pretty soon it might be: If your state issues a CCW permit, then any other state that allows one honors it. So now might be the best time to get one.

:patriot:

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    You curds probably throw it in the trunk unloaded and it would be ok... get it? Curds and whey? ha. ha. All kidding aside, you should get a license to carry a handgun just to be safe.

p22p99qa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks for the info! I'll get my permit just to be legal. Can I carry a rifle with the same permit? Looking into a Ruger SR-22, to carry in the Jeep at all times. I am concerned abou the state of the nation, and I think we (my wife, my son and I) all need a firearm we are comfortable with. Does any one now of a good gun shop or club around Gas City - Marion area ( grant county)?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No license is required to carry a rifle. The LTCH is a License To Carry a Handgun. Again, all things that are covered in the FAQ.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    I was advised when I filed for my permit (i had the very same question) that if you have a friend with a permit you could have them "carry" it, get to the range, enjoy your shoot, and have them "carry" it back. That was the point ISP made to me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I was advised when I filed for my permit (i had the very same question) that if you have a friend with a permit you could have them "carry" it, get to the range, enjoy your shoot, and have them "carry" it back. That was the point ISP made to me.
    Unfortunately, folks have been getting cited for shooting at a range without a license. Since carry isn't well defined, it is up to the officer to decide. Public ranges seem to be the worst.

So.... get the license (and read the FAQ)!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh, I believe you! I've had 2 officers tell me two different things, while they were standing next to each other. That's the whole problem - it isn't clear in the law, so the officers have to make a best guess.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    license - definition of license by the Free Online Dictionary ...

a. Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing

Web definitions for permit

dictionary-40.gif
    consent to, give permission

Ok so what is the difference? Not trying to be a smartass but some people are really anal about this and I am just trying to figure it out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    license - definition of license by the Free Online Dictionary ...

a. Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing

Web definitions for permit

dictionary-40.gif
    consent to, give permission

Ok so what is the difference? Not trying to be a smartass but some people are really anal about this and I am just trying to figure it out.

Indiana State Law defines a License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). No mention of a conceal carry permit at all. Some folks are just a little persnickety about that! Besides, it helps if we all use the same terminology.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Indiana State Law defines a License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). No mention of a conceal carry permit at all. Some folks are just a little persnickety about that! Besides, it helps if we all use the same terminology.

I agree. Just some people really get ticked off at some of the new people who just started carrying and I just didn't get why it was THAT big of a deal. I am just glad more law abiding people are carrying.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, in practical application, maybe nothing. But if your read the little pink piece of paper it is clearly identified as a License To Carry Handgun. Not a permit. CERTAINLY not a Concealed Carry Permit, or a CCW, or various other things it has been called here and other places. Is there a difference between a driver's license and a driver's permit?

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well, in practical application, maybe nothing. But if your read the little pink piece of paper it is clearly identified as a License To Carry Handgun. Not a permit. CERTAINLY not a Concealed Carry Permit, or a CCW, or various other things it has been called here and other places. Is there a difference between a driver's license and a driver's permit?
    Good point. Like I said, just curious. I call it a LTCH.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Yep. Indiana is currently reviewing the law requireing you to have a permit to transport your weapon. As it stands, you can ONLY bring a gun from the shop to your home, and to go get it repaired. Life time CCW's permit is the way to go. Its so easy I got mine when I was over seas. Just came to my town hall intervied and they gave it to me on the spot. And fyi, congress is also looking at passing a law reguarding state specific CCW's. So pretty soon it might be: If your state issues a CCW permit, then any other state that allows one honors it. So now might be the best time to get one.

:patriot:

CCW permit? Interview? Gave it to you on the spot?

Are you sure you're from Indiana?

I guess if that bill passes then we here in IN are screwed since IN doesn't issue a CCW permit.

:D

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Part of the confusion I think on the permit vs. license comes from ISP. When you call the number to check on anything regarding carrying handguns, they call it a permit. All of the recordings you get to press your number on regard it as a permit not a license. But when you get your pink paper it says license.

Top Bottom