• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Really thinking about getting the Winchester DPX1 9mm 147 grain at walmart.. Anyone know if this stuff is any good?? its a bonded JHP. Thanks for all the advice.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've heard it is decent stuff. Haven't shot any personally. I stick to 115 or 125 gr in my 9mm's. The 147gr loads were designed for submachine guns and may be a bit overpenetrative in a handgun. Just my 2 cents.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Bonded bullets are great; ensures that the jacket won't separate from the core.

Most folks go with 147gr in 9mm during the cold-weather months for more penetration through thicker clothing.

I'd not feel bad about buying & carrying the DPX1. Buy more than one box. You need to be sure that bullet feeds, fires, extracts, & ejects from your firearm before you load up a mag for carry.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    always been a 45 man for carry, but may change to xd40 soon, I've lost to much weight to cover the full size 45 under my shirt, and never cared for the mid-size or compack

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I generally go with Speer gold dot hollow points. Bonded so they penetrate and they show good expansion. They can be had pretty reasonably if you look around.

Z

Where? I can't find .45ACP 230 Gold Dots anywhere (in stock) for less than $1.25 per rounds and most sources are significantly higher than that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    The PDX line seems to be amazing. I bought a pack of the 12 gauge PDX1 and it has a perfect seperation every time ( Slug in middle and triangle shot, pattern) A buddy told me (when i bought my 40 cal PDX) that the FBI or some other bureau uses the PDX stuff because its consistant every shot.

So far ive only shot 20 PDX rounds outa my 40 cal but they seem top notch

thecollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    Winchester

I have and use the win Bonded pdx1 124gr. jhp personal protection bullets.
    They open very well and retain their weight. Just like all guns that you intend to use for personal protection, you have to shoot the shells you intend to carry, make sure they work in your gun. Sometimes a gun will not like a particular bullet no matter the price of it. If you have to use your carry, you want to make sure you can depend on it to go boom.

jwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Where do i find the winchester bonded pdx1 124gr? all i seen at walmart was the 147 grain..

jwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Yeah i found them at walmart.. they were out of the 124 grain the day i posted that.. but i was up at walmart last night and they just stocked up their ammo.. and saw the 124 grain.. picked up 3 boxes.. gonna test them in my gun to see if they run good.. if they do, then im gonna carry them.. thanks everyone for their feed back.. really appreciate it. starting to love this forum.

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    Yeah i found them at walmart.. they were out of the 124 grain the day i posted that.. but i was up at walmart last night and they just stocked up their ammo.. and saw the 124 grain.. picked up 3 boxes.. gonna test them in my gun to see if they run good.. if they do, then im gonna carry them.. thanks everyone for their feed back.. really appreciate it. starting to love this forum.

I mostly carry 124 grain Hornady XTP's in 9mm +P defense ammo. With all the good defense ammo out there, I figure my best bet is to carry something that I can nearly duplicate in a practice round. My Montana Gold 124 grain HP bullets with a stiff dose of Herco (or Power Pistol, Blue Dot, 3N37, etc.) will come close to the shape, COL, velocity, and point of impact of my expensive XTP's. I can load the Montana Gold rounds for about $8 per box of 50, making defense practice a bargain.

:twocents:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I pretty much stick to CorBon for defense use in my handguns. Sometimes I will switch to Remington Golden Saber in the really humid summer time just because of the nickel plated cases.

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    I received this message when I tried to send a private response: "Your post count is not high enough. You can send PMs to following Staff members only:
    Fenway, INGO Admin, Scutter01, AnthonyG, esrice, VUPDblue, lovemywoods, Bill of Rights, spasmo, danielocean03, Que, SmileDocHill"

In a private message, I was asked if I would sell a couple of boxes of 9mm Montana Gold reloads @ $8 per box of 50. I'm sorry I could not respond individually and directly, but I tried. I was unable to send a personal message, because I don't have enough posts to earn the capability of messaging. But here's the deal. I will have to respectfully decline.

Although I've never had a reloading accident, what if something were to go wrong? I would hate to have that on my conscience. My reloads have worked great for me in my particular guns, but they may not cycle your slide, or fit correctly in your chamber. Sorry about that, but I jut don't feel comfortable.

But I will give you the cost break-down for my 124 grain, JHP, Montana Gold loads. These costs do not include the cost of the press, which was given to me, or the price of the dies, which I figure were paid for easily by the first thousand rounds of ammo they reloaded.

My Montana Gold JHP plinker load costs me $6.21 per box of 50 with range brass. That load is 4.5 grains of Alliant Promo powder and CCI500 primers. (Lee Reloading Manual, 2nd edition). It chrono's @ 1134 f/s average for a 10-round string, with a low of 1107 f/s, and a high of 1170 f/s. I wish the spread was closer, but it really is a decent load for general use. I attribute the spread to the use of four different brands of brass, with who knows how many of them have been reloaded several times.

A high-power load with the same bullet costs about $7.50 per box of 50 (max) using 6.5 grains of Vhitavuori 3N37 powder. Using the same amount of Alliant Power Pistol would cost just a tick under $7 per box. Using Alliant Herco would bring down the cost a few cents, but I find that it doesn't burn as cleanly as some of the "premium" powders. (CAUTION: Please check your reloading manuals before considering any load published online.)

For defense practice I use the plinker load above most of the time. Occasionally I shoot a handful of the hotter stuff. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom