• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I'm jumping in to reloading another cartridge, the .357 magnum. I have multiple manuals and am not new to the reloading game, but would like some direction on some light plinking loads with cast bullets. I'm kind of fond of unique, and consistently have it on hand.
    I'd like some loads in both the .357 case as well as some light loads in 38 SPL. I'll basically be loading lighter .38 loads in the .357 cases. What say you INGO?
    I'd like to stick with lighter cast bullets as well.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    150-160gr. Cast...

I cast + load 150-160gr. SWC + RN with several different powders-Unique, HP-38, HS-6, etc.

You will find GREAT cast loads in .357 Mag. in these weights, with 5.5 to 6.5 grains of Unique...Bill.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I loaded some Hornaday swaged with Unique recently and it was like peanut butter and jelly. Loaded a bunch more to try out next range trip.

Didn't have any luck with the commercial cast (too hard) although have some Laser Cast to try.

Love magnum six shooters!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    6.0 grains of unique is great...moderately clean(compared to green dot), very accurate, and economical.

5.4gr of SR4756 works very well too(very similar to unique), but is soon to be discontinued unless you can find a stash somewhere.

Both of these are considered "hot" 38 loads...maybe +p...maybe not...around 1000fps.

God bless
    -Shred

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    357 brass is very pricey compared to 38spl.

If you just want soft plinkers why not just load them in 38spl brass?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    6 gr. Unique gives me about 980+/- FPS from a ratty ol' 4" M19 I have. Great "field" load. I load those up, or with Rim-Rock's 158gr gas checked SWCHP component (same that Buffalo Bore uses in their loads) for a good urban load. Same component bullets with 5 grains of Unique in a .38 case have been a standard for thousands over the decades. Both these loads are either Magnum or +P rated.

4-4.5 grains of Unique in a .38 case is a good soft medium .38 load, just enough there. Honestly, going lower than 4 grains, I started to get garbage burn. For 148 gr wadcutter use, Unique's okay, but Clays/ClayDot/Bullseye, etc... worked MUCH better.

Some people generate their brass, not buy it, lol

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Good question. Primarily for the same reasons I usually don't shoot too many .44 SPL in my magnum chambered guns, to avoid a crud ring in the chambers. Never been a real problem in my .44's but i have noticed it make a magnum round harder to insert into the chamber after shooting a number of spls. Plus, you can do just about anything out of a full length case that you can out of the SPL case, only more, and I look at revolver brass as a one time expense. Since I won't be buying it new, and have a deal lined up to trade some unneeded components to a friend for a couple thousand once fired 357 mag cases, the expense difference will be nil.
    I do have a few hundred SPL cases on hand too, and I'm not averse to shooting them as well.

Last edited:

deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    heres my recipe:

17.2 gr alliant power pro 300mp
    rcbs cast bullet 162gr swc w/gc
    cci mag primers
    1.585 oal.

this makes for a nice accurate load out of my ruger sp101 3 inch barrel. recoil is reasonable enough you could practice on a reg,. basis and not kill your hand.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    'Crud' "Cutter"...

Good question. Primarily for the same reasons I usually don't shoot too many .44 SPL in my magnum chambered guns, to avoid a crud ring in the chambers. Never been a real problem in my .44's but i have noticed it make a magnum round harder to insert into the chamber after shooting a number of spls. Plus, you can do just about anything out of a full length case that you can out of the SPL case, only more, and I look at revolver brass as a one time expense. Since I won't be buying it new, and have a deal lined up to trade some unneeded components to a friend for a couple thousand once fired 357 mag cases, the expense difference will be nil.
    I do have a few hundred SPL cases on hand too, and I'm not averse to shooting them as well.

I save back my .357 split cases to use for Crud Cutters..

Take the case through the size die, install in the expander die, and keep turning down the expander plug until you have a good swelled end for a snug fit into the cyls. You can run that edge over a stone, or file to sharpen if you wish.. One push through each chamber will clean the .38Spl. ring everytime.

I keep a few of these around, and in my range box...Bill.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Lee tumble lube style 148 grain WC, tumble lubed with a 50/50 mix of alox and Johnsons Paste Wax, over 5 grains of Trail Boss. Great soft shooting plinking load out of my 4"GP 100.

Top Bottom