• ...and so much more!
  • gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I hear you.

I work at a big liquor store, face to face with hundreds of customers a day. Now that we're no longer "essential" we're doing curb service but still doing a lot of business.

I wear gloves, wash my hands regularly and we clean counters, registers, etc. as time permits, a thorough cleanup every night after closing. Seem like reasonable precautions.

But I won't wear a mask. That's a bridge too far for me. I just don't buy into the fear-mongering. This Chinese Virus isn't nearly as dangerous as we've been led to believe and as the numbers keep rolling in it's becoming more and more apparent. The projections have dropped from a preposterous 22 million dead to less than 60,000. The regular old flu kills more and we sure as hell don't set our hair on fire and shut down the country over that.

Enough of the destructive and ineffective insanity that is destroying peoples' lives and our economy.

Time for Phase FU. I aim to misbehave.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I hear you.

I work at a big liquor store, face to face with hundreds of customers a day. Now that we're no longer "essential" we're doing curb service but still doing a lot of business.

I wear gloves, wash my hands regularly and we clean counters, registers, etc. as time permits, a thorough cleanup every night after closing. Seem like reasonable precautions.

But I won't wear a mask. That's a bridge too far for me. I just don't buy into the fear-mongering. This Chinese Virus isn't nearly as dangerous as we've been led to believe and as the numbers keep rolling in it's becoming more and more apparent. The projections have dropped from a preposterous 22 million dead to less than 60,000. The regular old flu kills more and we sure as hell don't set our hair on fire and shut down the country over that.

Enough of the destructive and ineffective insanity that is destroying peoples' lives and our economy.

Time for Phase FU. I aim to misbehave.

You have my full support to lick any doorknob or handrail that you like.
    Just please disinfect for the rest of us after you're through.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I used to have to go into phosgene enclosures. Had to keep clean shaven and pass fit tests.
    I never once questioned the need to use the Scott SCBA that I was told and required to use. Why?
    I can read and like reading military history.
    Chemicals, much like viruses, just don't care what you think.
    The advantage of being around phosgene, is there is a slight musty mown grass smell to alert you briefly to it's presence.
    I don't recall an odor ever being ascribed to the Covid virus.

MH

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to have to go into phosgene enclosures. Had to keep clean shaven and pass fit tests.
    I never once questioned the need to use the Scott SCBA that I was told and required to use. Why?
    I can read and like reading military history.
    Chemicals, much like viruses, just don't care what you think.
    The advantage of being around phosgene, is there is a slight musty mown grass smell to alert you briefly to it's presence.
    I don't recall an odor ever being ascribed to the Covid virus.

MH

Or swine flu or SARS or the "Asian" flu as I remember that being called.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Chicken**** smartasses can hide in their houses and obey whatever preposterous, unconstitutional restrictions our overlords see fit to impose.

The realities are abundantly clear to anyone who is paying attention to them and not the bull**** being spouted by Faucci, Birx and the other fear-mongering promoters of the models that have overestimated by 10 orders of magnitude the numbers of people who will be hospitalized and killed by the Chinese Virus.

From the original estimates of as many as 22 million Americans dead they're now down to less than 60 thousand (while they count anyone who dies with Chinese Virus as dying from Chinese Virus).

And it's also established that over 90% of those who die have underlying conditions like diabetes, obesity, respiratory conditions or are elderly.

It's also evident it isn't spread easily by casual contact but rather by spending extended periods of time in enclosed spaces with contagious stage carriers.

The common flu killed 80,000 in 2018. Do you remember us setting our hair on fire, shutting down the nation, destroying the conomy, putting millions out of work and destroying millions of businesses to "mitigate the effects"?

Yeah, me neither.

All this insane overreaction has done is extend the period we will be dealing with the virus by preventing it from spreading through the population of people without special vulnerabilities, most of whom will suffer no symptoms at all. Others will become ill, some quite ill, but virtually all will survive. They will all also be immune, herd immunity will be established and the threat, such as it is, posed by the Chinese Virus will be greatly diminished as active virus in the population is largely eliminated because it has nowhere to go and nowhere to reproduce.

You pants-wetters can do as you please. I'm not living in fear because fools and malignant characters with agendas are lying to the world for their own reasons.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OP, you are changing gloves between each customer, task, or environment, correct? If not you are wasting your time and might as well be bare handed unless you have open cuts on your hands.

Gloves prevent CROSS contamination and protect you from the contaminant. But if you touch your face, touch the next customer's stuff, etc. you are still spreading the germs around. If you arent going through many multiples of gloves a day you are doing it wrong and might as well just put the gloves away and just wash hands repeatedly. I find it funny when people wear gloves to the store, then get in their car and keep the gloves on as they touch all over the inside of their car. Congrats. you just negated any protection those gloves offered.

Gloves are the most misunderstood and poorly executed part of this pandemic. I was in one small store the other day and saw 4 people wearing their masks like this example. Idiots. (Yes, I know this guy is adjusting, but these folks were wandering around like this.

iu

Last edited:

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    To quote Gundawg:
    "And it's also established that over 90% of those who die have underlying conditions like diabetes, obesity, respiratory conditions or are elderly."

Since I am tending towards the elderly end of the spectrum, I guess I would have to say"You go first kemosabe".

MH

Last edited:

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    OP, you are changing gloves between each customer, task, or environment, correct? If not you are wasting your time and might as well be bare handed unless you have open cuts on your hands.

Gloves prevent CROSS contamination and protect you from the contaminant. But if you touch your face, touch the next customer's stuff, etc. you are still spreading the germs around. If you arent going through many multiples of gloves a day you are doing it wrong and might as well just put the gloves away and just wash hands repeatedly. I find it funny when people wear gloves to the store, then get in their car and keep the gloves on as they touch all over the inside of their car. Congrats. you just negated any protection those gloves offered.

Gloves are the most misunderstood and poorly executed part of this pandemic. Unless you are an idiot. I was in one small store the other day and saw 4 people wearing their masks like this example. Idiots. (Yes, I know this guy is adjusting, but these folks were wandering around like this.

iu

I was a Ski Patroller for 25 years. I know the uses and limitations of gloves. They serve primarily to remind me not to touch my face. My doctor, with whom I have consulted about reasonable precautions, recommended NOT changing gloves any more than absolutely necessary, as when they tear. So 3-4 times an hour I either wash my hands with the gloves on or use industrial grade hand sanitizer with the gloves on to reduce the chance of cross-contamination. My doctor did recommend a mask, but not to directly protect me from airborne contagion but to remind me not to touch my face. Masks serve to keep a contagious person from spreading disease far better than they protect an uninfected person from airborne contagion. Since the gloves serve well to remind me not to touch my face my doctor was not adamant that I wear a mask.

Since we were went to curb service and no customers have been allowed in the store we have done a deep clean of the whole place with disinfectant, floors, counters, shelving, bottles, virtually every surface anyone could touch. Since we do have contact with customers the possibility of bringing a bug back in is always there, but we're conscious of that and surfaces we touch, counters, scanners, card readers, registers, are regularly wiped down with disinfectant. I think the biggest problem is money but there is little we can do about that. Since I handle money all day I just assume anything I touch or anything anyone else touches may be contaminated.

Last edited:

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    To quote Gundawg:
    "And it's also established that over 90% of those who die have underlying conditions like diabetes, obesity, respiratory conditions or are elderly."

Since I am tending towards the elderly end of the spectrum, I guess I would have to say"You go first kemosabe".

MH

I'm 67, this is a retirement job. I'm a friend of the owner for years and a member of his tasting crew that helps pick out barrels of bourbon to buy to be bottled as special picks for the store. I offered to pitch in when he was short-staffed. But I'm in good health, active and with no underlying conditions that would make me particularly vulnerable. My doctor also assures me that if I do fall ill with the Chinese Virus I will get the hydroxychloroquine/azythromicin/zinc regimen immediately, and that combo seems to kick Chinese Virus ass. I consider the risk I'm taking to be minimal and acceptable.

Last edited:

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Interesting take.
    A little upset are we.
    Yeah me too but keep it real in the forum OK.

From my standpoint I am keeping it real.

Some people were pointedly disrespectful. I didn't address any of them individually, but I'm not going to take that stuff lying down, either.

People who disagree with me respectfully can expect polite discussion of our differences.

But my opinion on this subject is not ill-informed and my choices on how to manage risk are rational. Suggesting I'm some kind of idiot engaging in dangerous behavior is not a way to advance reasonable discussion, although that is what I did try to do.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From my standpoint I am keeping it real.

Some people were pointedly disrespectful. I didn't address any of them individually, but I'm not going to take that stuff lying down, either.

People who disagree with me respectfully can expect polite discussion of our differences.

But my opinion on this subject is not ill-informed and my choices on how to manage risk are rational. Suggesting I'm some kind of idiot engaging in dangerous behavior is not a way to advance reasonable discussion, although that is what I did try to do.

OK. I see your points and seriously I do agree for the most part. I could go deeper here but my post was to keep you and the thread on track. Not to put you in a corner.

Look at it from my perspective for just a moment. I see no one in this thread pushing you at all. Now do not push me please. Just settle into it and lets discuss this civilly regardless. You seem to be well enough informed.

Carry on.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    OK. I see your points and seriously I do agree for the most part. I could go deeper here but my post was to keep you and the thread on track. Not to put you in a corner.

Look at it from my perspective for just a moment. I see no one in this thread pushing you at all. Now do not push me please. Just settle into it and lets discuss this civilly regardless. You seem to be well enough informed.

Carry on.

I do not mean to provoke you. Just standing up for myself.

I took #5 & #6 as passive/aggressive antagonism, if not directly insulting. Not sure about #7.

I could be mistaken.

Top Bottom