• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I bought a HP22 pistol from a member here on INGO.
    They are cheap little guns that tend to work and I enjoy 'em.
    This one had a failure to extract issue. One every magazine.
    I called them and they said that it had to have standard velocity ammo.
    Do you how how hard it is to find standard velocity ammo? (-1)
    I bought some std velocity from Cosners and, sure enough the little gun did better.
    The FTE's were now about one in 40 rounds.
    So they said they would fix it for free or replace it at their option.(+1)
    But I had to send it in on my dime. $25 at Cosners.
    They had it back to me in less than 2 weeks (+1)
    It was the same gun but I didn't know what they had done because there was nothing on the invoice except "returned for service" (-1)
    In the box were 2 magazines, that's one extra one free (+1)
    There was a yellow note inside the box that said "Use standard velocity ammo only". That annoyed me.
    I had 60 rounds of standard velocity ammo left and out of that 60 rounds I had one failure to extract and about 4 failures to feed.
    It wasn't doing that before (-1)
    And the Failure to extract was still not fixed.(-1)

Here is the most ridiculous part.
    The gun came in the FedEx box with a lock installed through the mag well.
    THERE WAS NO KEY.
    After looking through the shipping materials twice, I finally saw on the invoice a red stamp that said the key would arrive separately in the US Mail.(-1)
    Man Kalifornia has some real strange laws.
    The key was still not here as of last night, a day after the pistol arrived.

So the final score was +3 and -5 for a total -2 on their customer service.
    They could have gotten a much lower score but I didn't give them points off for me having to pay to get it out there and I didn't give them points off for that condescending standard velocity note in the box.

I will call them today after they open and see where we go from here.
    Maybe they can redeem themselves.

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Phoenix Arms has been one of those guns that after having one, I would never have another. Too many safety features and they always seem to have problems. I don't know what they consider "standard velocity ammo" but any of the bulk packs they sale at Walmart seem to fall into that catagory. As for the lock,if it's just a cable lock running through the mag well, bolt cutters or a dremel with a cutting wheel should take care of it.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I have 2 HP22's. One works, one doesn't. Never really tried any ammo other than federal bulk packs.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That's too bad about the crappy CS. Unfortunatly there seems to be more and more of that going on these days.

I have one of those little Phoenix that a girl gave me. She said it discharged accidentally several times and she quit using it.
    I put several troublefree rounds thru it, but I don't trust it and won't carry or leave it sitting around with a round in the chamber.
    I should scrap it or sell all but the frame for parts.

You're right about too many features. If you don't handle it alot, and I don't, all of those safety features can be frustrating.
    If you got in a gunfight with one of these you would be dead several times over before you could get the gun into action. And if you had to do a reload, well you might as well throw the gun at them.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    bolt cutters or a dremel with a cutting wheel should take care of it.
    It was a dremel. :)

I don't know what they consider "standard velocity ammo" but any of the bulk packs they sale at Walmart seem to fall into that catagory.
    To them, it has to be below 1100 fps is standard velocity. Most of the bulk packs are 1200 or so. I just had to try a couple of boxes to satisfy them that it was indeed broken and not the fault of the ammo.

I have 2 HP22's. One works, one doesn't. Never really tried any ammo other than federal bulk packs.
    This is my 2nd one. I actually got it because the first one was just so flawless. It eats anything. Not the new one though...

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    My local shop has the stainless two barrel set that I can get for $100. Think that would be worth the chance. I did have a HP-25 that would not shoot. The slide was catching on the rim of the shell.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a HP22 pistol.
    They are cheap little guns that tend to work and I enjoy 'em.

there is your first issue, they dont "tend to work"

second, if they are asking for something under 1100 fps, then buy any subsonic ammo.

and just for ****s and grins, you should try some of the 60 grain subsonic stuff... it might creat enough backpressure to slow the timing of the gun down enough to help out.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Sorry about the troubles, maybe Phoenix Arms will make it right. My HP22 eats everything and I probably have 5,000 rounds thru it to date. For me it has been a great little gun. The safety features can all be eliminated, you tube has many videos on how to correct them.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i give there service a +1.....upper firing pin safety wouldn't stay up called them and they said send the slide back and in less than a week new slide showed up at my door.....i have had mine a little over 2 years and was used when i got it and it came with 3 mags....2 feed perfect 1 not so good......i little tweekin' on the 1 not so good mag with needle nose pliers and it feeds the same now as the other 2 and i have lost count as how many rounds has been threw it.....to the OP i would keep sendin' it back to them and next time send it your self you don't have to have a FFL send it to them for repairs......for the money there great little pistol!!!!!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've had one for about 6 years sent the slide back twice, for different reasons both times. They sent back a new slide last time, works flawlessly, mag safety, disconnected, it, hammer drop, epoxy it up, then just use the standard slide stop/safety as usual...03A3 what do you want for the bad one?

Top Bottom