• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm a photographer. I"m geting ready to do a photoshoot with firearms. I certainly understand the firearms rules.

Empty Magazine
    Unload the Gun
    Check the Gun
    Unload the Gun
    Check the Gun
    Dry Fire

But I need to break the "never point at anything you don't intend to shoot" rule. Other than the safety precautions, what advice would you give? The intent is to portray handguns in a self defense role, and in a favorable light. Any insight you have is much appreciated.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Use a remote camera ?????
    This.

Tripod and remote trigger. Set up the shot first and take some pictures with no gun to be sure everything is right. Then hand the (triple-checked) gun to the subject and use the remote trigger.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    This.

Tripod and remote trigger. Set up the shot first and take some pictures with no gun to be sure everything is right. Then hand the (triple-checked) gun to the subject and use the remote trigger.

Not exactly possible, since the focus point will need to be exact on the barrel, a slight move will make the photo out of focus.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Remember the second it leaves your sight it's loaded again. If someone else handles it, it's loaded again. Make sure that anyone who is around you also understands the rules of safe firearm handling and proper trigger discipline.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I use a wireless shutter release to get those head-on shots. Have never had a camera hit by live fire, but would rather I not be behind it just in case. Live fire makes for some great photos.

Have fun and be safe.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    No ammo in the building and have someone "wrangle" the firearms. Someone who's only job is to hold the gun when not in use and hand it to the model when being photographed.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    What type of firearm is it? I've pulled the striker out of a pistol before and set it aside while I was showing someone proper handling skills indoors. Basically turned it into a blue gun of more realistic colors. haha.

You'll be fine; just check, double check, then re-check one more time.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    What type of firearm is it? I've pulled the striker out of a pistol before and set it aside while I was showing someone proper handling skills indoors. Basically turned it into a blue gun of more realistic colors. haha.

You'll be fine; just check, double check, then re-check one more time.

Glocks.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Nice work!!! Ever thought about taking on a noobie and giving pointers? I would love to shadow a pro for the day.

I'm just an amateur.

Sure!

Off topic, but at the end of this blog post, I'm working on creating a group dedicated to learning. BLOG

Top Bottom