• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    An invite from an old hunting buddy has finally gotten me off the couch and heading to an Appleseed. I've been doing my best to read up on it on a few forums (INGO, ARFCOM, and Appleseed to be specific) and I've come across several references like "I wish I'd practiced my positions before I came" or this little gem from the Appleseed forum:
    I found there was no possibility of getting into the proper, steady positions without a month of stretching exercises.
    cry.gif
    I ended up using my muscles to try to stay on target instead of the proper support positions; naturally as the weekend wore on and my muscles got more fatigued, my accuracy suffered.
    My problem is, I've never had any formal long gun instruction. I have absolutely no concept of what the "proper" positions are, and I'm afraid if I just wing it I'll either build bad habits before I get to the shoot, or spend a lot of time working muscles that won't help me a bit. What sort of exercises should I be doing to work the proper muscles before I head to the Appleseed?

Andre46996

Master
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Bubba I will have to find it again there is a book and a pre-Appleseed deal from a guy who offers all the targets and the pre-test thing. I'll pm you when I find it.

Found it!!!!

Here is a link to the guy's page..Fred's Riflemans Accessories

$16.00 each or cheaper in quantity, if you are going to order let me know I would be interested in a pack and I am sure Ghost would be too.

Freds Rifleman 25-Meter Targets w/Freds Guide to Becoming a Rifleman - Find out whether you are a rifleman - or a cook. Shoot this Army course through at 25 meters (82 ft) to determine your current shooting skill. [Click on the RIFLEMAN button, then on BECOMING A RIFLEMAN for a description of the AQT course of fire.] Then read the Guide to Becoming a Rifleman to improve until you can shoot Rifleman scores. Use the time to get ready now - while you have the time! The AQT is the only course of fire you can shoot centerfire or rimfire anywhere you find 82 ft and a safe backstop, and which will give you a numerical evaluation of your shooting skills you can compare with military standards to see how well you can shoot, now. Then use the Guide to develop your shooting skills, and watch your scores improve as you refire the AQT (you can do it ten times, since there are ten complete sets of targets - but you can photocopy, to shoot more than ten times). Have the satisfaction of watching those scores improve until, if you persist, you are soon shooting Army EXPERT classification, and can call yourself a RIFLEMAN, and be ready to engage targets out to 500 yards with your rack-grade rifle and surplus ammo. The Guide will enable you to look at the placement of your shots on the target and analyze what errors you are making. As you steadily correct errors, your shooting improves! For the duration of the war on terrorism, NOT subject to our $25.00 minimum order requirement. New: quantity discount: 2 for $30 (with TWO Guides) or 5 for $60 (with FIVE Guides) - simply enter quantity, and we will adjust price to reflect new quantity price.

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    As one who is older, I found that some regular streaching would be just fine. We do recommend bringing some sot of pain reliever, you will be sore. I found some elbow pads were nice, and sunglasses.

You need to be able to get into the prone position, sitting position, we have positions in sitting to accomadate most physical abilities.

:patriot: Don

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    An invite from an old hunting buddy has finally gotten me off the couch and heading to an Appleseed. I've been doing my best to read up on it on a few forums (INGO, ARFCOM, and Appleseed to be specific) and I've come across several references like "I wish I'd practiced my positions before I came" or this little gem from the Appleseed forum: My problem is, I've never had any formal long gun instruction. I have absolutely no concept of what the "proper" positions are, and I'm afraid if I just wing it I'll either build bad habits before I get to the shoot, or spend a lot of time working muscles that won't help me a bit. What sort of exercises should I be doing to work the proper muscles before I head to the Appleseed?

These were my worries before my first shoot. Did you ever see the old green plastic army men? They weren't posed as they were randomly. The positions will be uncomfortable at first. They will be less so with practice, eventually becoming comfortable. Here's a couple of thoughts to help. Don't worry about getting the positions exactly right prior to the shoot. If you could do that, you wouldn't need us to show you (though there are other reasons to come) Just get used to moving from a position standing to a position sitting on the ground, either cross-legged or legs in front or some similar (even on one knee works, elbow on the other knee, sitting on the heel under you.) If you have an empty rifle stock or even a broom handle, you can use that to simulate doing this with a rifle in hand, with zero risk to anyone.

The other position that will take some getting used to is prone. There is a stage of our target shooting during which you'll be going from standing to prone quickly. That doesn't mean falling down! :) Get used to moving from one to the other position (standing to either sitting or prone) and stretch some from side to side while you're down there.

Edit: Despite the poster's comment that you quoted, you probably do not need a month of stretching. A couple of weeks is good, but a week or so, daily, is probably sufficient. Even a day helps, so your body can respond to the position with, "Oh, OK, I know this one. No big." rather than "WHAT THE H*** IS THIS GUY MAKING ME DOOOOOO!!!!??????" :):

These suggestions should help. I look forward to your after-action-report when the weekend is done!

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Stretch now. Every night.
    Practice sitting cross legged. This is is the position some find uncomfortable.

Do both and you will be ok. You will be ok even if you don't, but the stretching will leave you in a more comfortable place by the end of the weekend.

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Pami and I visited Cloverdale today to function test the M4s. She told me "We need to practice getting into these positions every night this week so I'm ready Saturday in Nashville." :)

Bring Advil, You'll thank me after. :)

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    drinking extra water for a few days before the shoot is also a good idea.its pretty easy to dehydrate while on the line for 2 days! plus it doesn't hurt flexibilty either!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Pami and I visited Cloverdale today to function test the M4s. She told me "We need to practice getting into these positions every night this week so I'm ready Saturday in Nashville." :)

Bring Advil, You'll thank me after. :)
    I told you I need to practice every night because that's what Bill told me to do.

I need to practice holding the M4 in prone though because that's the one that hurt me the most. Sitting was easiest. Removing the mags completely sucks, no matter what position I'm in.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wouldn't hurt to eat some extra bacon for a few days prior to the 'seed.

(Your rifle is not the only thing that needs lubrication.) :D

bigus_D

Master
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Wouldn't hurt to eat some extra bacon for a few days prior to the 'seed.

(Your rifle is not the only thing that needs lubrication.) :D

OMG! This is the BEST!

I'm looking forward to sunday morning breakfast now!!! I'll be starting my appleseed preps tomorrow AM!!! WOO HOO!!!

Note: The back of my neck tightened up during the slow fire prone sections of my first appleseed. I'll be stretching for that this week.

Top Bottom