• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is an all matching K98 German Mauser but import marked. It is a DOU 44. I cannot find much information on these but I don't find that it is a common configuration. It is in rough shape but it is probably worth more than I paid for it. I had seen it locally and went back almost a month later and it was still there so I picked it up. I got it for the price of a Russian Capture.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    It is an all matching K98 German Mauser but import marked. It is a DOU 44. I cannot find much information on these but I don't find that it is a common configuration. It is in rough shape but it is probably worth more than I paid for it. I had seen it locally and went back almost a month later and it was still there so I picked it up. I got it for the price of a Russian Capture.

At least if your not happy with a gun, you can trade it to some other guy:yesway: Too bad we can't do the same things with a wife we don't like:laugh:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lets see a pic of it.

mauser98.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Looks nice. Does being "import marked" mean it does not have nazi markings on it? I have seen a few really rough K98s locally, but in the last year or so, none with nazi markings, or if they had original markings, they had been ground off. The ones I've seen around here do not look to be worth the $300 asking price.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Not thrilled because I did not want to spend any money. Happy because it is worth more than I paid for it.

I have over $7,000 on my credit card, because of guns i've bought:( My wife isn't happy:xmad: she want to take my guns & shove them up my:n00b:, BUT I told her I'll work some over-time:rolleyes: to pay the credit card:popcorn: Will I ever pay the credit card off:dunno: But I'll still buy some more guns:rockwoot:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Looks nice. Does being "import marked" mean it does not have nazi markings on it? I have seen a few really rough K98s locally, but in the last year or so, none with nazi markings, or if they had original markings, they had been ground off. The ones I've seen around here do not look to be worth the $300 asking price.

It is a bit rough with some rust pitting and the stock has seen better days. It has been shot a lot and you can tell by some stress damage to the stock. The stock is original to the rifle, it matches.

This says it was imported from Germany to California and is matching and nothing peened. Since it is all matching and import marked (not an RC) it is a bit unusual in that regard. Nothing has been scrubbed. It may not have come from Germany but it is also not a bringback. There were imports from East Germany and Romania and this may be one of them.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    It is a bit rough with some rust pitting and the stock has seen better days. It has been shot a lot and you can tell by some stress damage to the stock. The stock is original to the rifle, it matches.

This says it was imported from Germany to California and is matching and nothing peened. Since it is all matching and import marked (not an RC) it is a bit unusual in that regard. Nothing has been scrubbed. It may not have come from Germany but it is also not a bringback. There were imports from East Germany and Romania and this may be one of them.

You think it was used in WWII:dunno:

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    If the numbers all match you probably got your money's worth. I sold an 1895 Mauser in 7X57 many years ago, (for CHUMP), and the guy I sold it to just had to call me a month later and rub it in that all the numbers matched and it was worth five times what he gave me for it.:xmad:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    If the numbers all match you probably got your money's worth. I sold an 1895 Mauser in 7X57 many years ago, (for CHUMP), and the guy I sold it to just had to call me a month later and rub it in that all the numbers matched and it was worth five times what he gave me for it.:xmad:

You have any more guns you want to sell:D:laugh:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You think it was used in WWII:dunno:

The shape it is in, yes. I also have a DOT 44 that probably wasn't but was taken out of an armory by a US soldier after the war, it is in very nice shape compared to this one, blueing good and no rust. Of course some of these rifles could have rusted after they were imported.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    You have any more guns you want to sell:D:laugh:
    :DNah.... I got out of the 'divesting' business. Not before a Blackhawk 41 Mag, and a Postal Meter M-1 Carbine went their way for chump too (or to realize what I had 15-20 years later). I became strictly a collector after selling my first (1971) Fender Stratocaster for $550. Oh, I thought I was a real Wheeler-Dealer, since I'd only gave $350 for it a few years earlier. 20 years later, a 71 Strat Ebays for $6500!:n00b:

So, basically at this point, if I buy it, even if I never look at it again, I'm nearly phobic of selling it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    :DNah.... I got out of the 'divesting' business. Not before a Blackhawk 41 Mag, and a Postal Meter M-1 Carbine went their way for chump too (or to realize what I had 15-20 years later). I became strictly a collector after selling my first (1971) Fender Stratocaster for $550. Oh, I thought I was a real Wheeler-Dealer, since I'd only gave $350 for it a few years earlier. 20 years later, a 71 Strat Ebays for $6500!:n00b:

So, basically at this point, if I buy it, even if I never look at it again, I'm nearly phobic of selling it.

Well at least you learn from your M I S T A K E S;)

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy

If the markings are obliterated that means someone other than the Germans used it. Usually that means the Commies got them. Though they're called "captured", 9 times out of 10, that means it was rounded up post war, processed and either stored or handed to the satellite countries.

Sometimes other countries like Israel, Yugoslavia, or Iraq also will have them, but they usually (not always) ground off all the old markings and remarked them.

The import mark is sometimes a detraction of value, but that's about all it really represents. Not being import marked means it was either a vet bring-back or it was imported before the law requiring stamping went into effect...and there was a ton of them coming in back then.

Top Bottom