• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes, currently the range at the old INDY GUN BUNKER that was on East Washington and Post road, is being relocated inside the military surplus store at East Washington and Franklin.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    By the way, can anyone tell me if a Glock 17 will shoot tighter groups with 124 grain or 147, as opposed to the range round of 115?
    I have run into that in the past, where a duty gun was made for a 124 grain.

Was having fun at the range with some .22LR guns, and decided to have the Glock 17 Gen 4 for dessert before I left. :ar15:
    No improvement from a few days ago in the head shots. My only excuse is I did take it out to 20', up from 15'. :(
    In the torso shots I was way off, like I was shooting free hand at 40 or 50 feet instead of using a rest at 30': puzzling, and more honestly: embarrassing. :ugh:
    Being inconsistent from one range session to another has been a trademark of mine though, unfortunately. :dunno:
    KLDpxij.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Sigblitz! :thumbsup:

I know I've got this saved somewhere, others, and maybe you have shared it before.
    I'm going to copy and put it in a file for reviewing AGAIN.
    I knew it probably had something to do with my finger position.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    doddg, I am always impressed with your groups. If the gun is up to it you shoot great from any distance. But I can't help to think you are cheating yourself if you don't shoot occasionally with a timer and train for self defense scenarios. If you already have this covered then congrats and carry on. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg, I am always impressed with your groups. If the gun is up to it you shoot great from any distance. But I can't help to think you are cheating yourself if you don't shoot occasionally with a timer and train for self defense scenarios. If you already have this covered then congrats and carry on. :ingo:

You must be the kindest "critic" around: my own groups make me mad 1/2 the time b/c I can't stay consistent. :laugh:
    I think you are so right about the timer, but not so sure about the self-defense scenarios since I can barely get in and out of the car some days.
    I won't be doing any getting on the ground and back up again with a loaded gun in my hand. :fogey: ,
    I even bought some targets that have different drills to do, but haven't got around to it.
    I really wanted to do steel shooting this summer, but I got totally sidetracked with "life."
    It is the next dimension that I need to experience.
    In fact, I'm starting another update on the house (6th since summer), I don't know how I had time to go to work with retirement being so busy, so I'll probably not even have any range time this coming week. :dunno:

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    By the way, can anyone tell me if a Glock 17 will shoot tighter groups with 124 grain or 147, as opposed to the range round of 115?
    I have run into that in the past, where a duty gun was made for a 124 grain.

Not a G17 - but at least with factory ammo my Gen 5 G34 seemed to shoot the 124 more accurately. That was shooting Aguila 115 FMJ and Aguila 124 FMJ. As for reloads I have only tried the Hornady 124 XTP and it shoots very well in the G34. May try some 115 and 147 grain reloads later.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Used a rest today so the groups are much better than free hand.
    Below the Glock 17 target is same format with the CZ Shadow 2 for comparison, which brings joy to me b/c if just feels so right.
    If I need to sell one, the Glock goes & Shadow 2 stays, unless I need the money for another home update. :crying:

21' head shots & 30' torso shots.
    O1SQIbs.jpg

For comparison purposes: the CZ Shadow 2:
    4UbCRE9.jpg

Top Bottom