• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    I was doing a trouble call for a customer and started talking guns. He was an older english fellow so i was thinkin enfields. he said he was'nt much into guns and pulls out a gun from under the bed. an izhevsk 1946 m44. it still had all the cosmoline inside. he said he purchased it from a local store closing and was planning on carving the wood but had no time. got it home and cleaned it up. looks good inside the barrel, its not shiny or smooth as my handguns but i really don't have anything to compare it to. He said he paid $60 so its mine for that price. He did'nt have any of the accessories for it. Anything special i should look out for before i shoot it?

mos1i.jpg

mosdi.jpg

mos2m.jpg

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anything special i should look out for before i shoot it?

Look out for it Mosiniphilia.

It's transmitted by contact with Mosin-Nagants. It's not fatal - except to bank accounts.
    Mosins like to invite their friends into your safe.

Really, just clean it thoroughly with HOT soapy water then lightly oil, buy ammo and enjoy. I wouldn't worry about headspacing given that it's still in cosmoline.

For the record, the current price on a Russian M44 is somewhere around $140.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

It's transmitted by contact with Mosin-Nagants. It's not fatal - except to bank accounts.
    Mosins like to invite their friends into your safe.

Really, just clean it thoroughly with HOT soapy water then lightly oil, buy ammo and enjoy. I wouldn't worry about headspacing given that it's still in cosmoline.

I had no idea the price on M44 went up that much. If I would have known that I would have bought the whole rack of 'em when they were $40 at KCR. At least I snagged one of 'em for that price.

OP congrats on the good deal.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    hell i was happy to find one for $150 at the 1500 and we all know there is much deals going on there.... nice buy they are a small shoulder fired cannon.... the muzzle blast can be used to roast marshmallows!!!!

Reggywill

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Indy (Westside)
    Great find! I had a lady give me a spring-loaded clay pigeon thrower last week for hooking up a DVD player for her! And might be purchasing a brand new SS Ruger 10/22 with a metal trigger group that is still in the original plastic bag in the box. Gotta love finds like this.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the comments!

ive been looking around for the ammo spam cans online and seems like sgammo.com is the cheapest shipped for 1 can. 73.95+16.00.
    looking for coupon codes :)

added some pics up top

mosinfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like an older import from the wood. It doesn't have the shiny refurb gloss of the recent imports. Is there an import mark? '46 is a good year to find since they are post war. If you use corrosive ammo, clean after you are done. Enjoy!! More mosins are sure to follow...... :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    moss1p.jpg

mossi.jpg

mosss.jpg

I think ive cleaned the barrel the best i could unless there is a bore cleaner that will make the grooves shiny. otherwise it looks pretty good in there.

sgammo was a few dollars cheaper than aimsurplus after shipping.

just found copesdistributing.net which somebody else mentioned b4. $9.95 shipping

Last edited:

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012

It's transmitted by contact with Mosin-Nagants. It's not fatal - except to bank accounts. Mosins like to invite their friends into your safe.

1. Good luck trying to find it for 140. Only if it is really abused. They go for over 200 these days :(
    2. On the "Soviet Union Genelalissimus" you don't need stress marks, they are over the wrong letters anyway :) Symly Генералиссимус Советского Союза.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    1. Good luck trying to find it for 140. Only if it is really abused. They go for over 200 these days :(

$200! :faint: I guess the Polish 1954 I got for $160 was a deal! It was missing the cleaning rod and it's bluing is weak, but after a little TLC, it's great shooter.

2. On the "Soviet Union Genelalissimus" you don't need stress marks, they are over the wrong letters anyway :) Symly Генералиссимус Советского Союза.

Hmm, I not really fond of this title, it was just something I threw in there from Wikipedia the other day. Kudos for knowing what it means.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think O've cleaned the barrel the best i could unless there is a bore cleaner that will make the grooves shiny. otherwise it looks pretty good in there.

That barrel's not bad. It's just never going to shine like a new barrel. Some on here probably have worked over some barrels with JB Bore Paste or something, but I'd say it's good enough.

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    $200! :faint: I guess the Polish 1954 I got for $160 was a deal! It was missing the cleaning rod and it's bluing is weak, but after a little TLC, it's great shooter.

Hmm, I not really fond of this title, it was just something I threw in there from Wikipedia the other day. Kudos for knowing what it means.

No kidding, Even here on INGO if you find M44 in WTS/WTT adds under 250 I will be surprized I saw them for as much as 350. A guy in Danham's told be taht just 3-4 years ago they were selling them at the same price as 91/30, but they haven't recieved any for a long while. My frined from Chicago still remembers times in 80's when they were 15 bucks, and K98 mausers were 30. Those were the days....

As for the title, Just happened to be Russian :)

Top Bottom