• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I know it costs more, but I'm going to try and stick with factory non corrosive ammo. I did pick up a couple of boxes of corrosive ammo yesterday for $6.25 a piece. I'll run some non corrosive after I run the corrosive. Then a good detail cleaning.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I know it costs more, but I'm going to try and stick with factory non corrosive ammo. I did pick up a couple of boxes of corrosive ammo yesterday for $6.25 a piece. I'll run some non corrosive after I run the corrosive. Then a good detail cleaning.

I'm a big Cheapo ... cheap bulk surplus for me .. :D

Hey let me know when you guys are going to shoot at Atterbury. I'll bring my Mosin Dragoon down and afterward get in some Crow hunting at the FWA.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm a big Cheapo ... cheap bulk surplus for me .. :D

Hey let me know when you guys are going to shoot at Atterbury. I'll bring my Mosin Dragoon down and afterward get in some Crow hunting at the FWA.

As soon as Cru gives me the word, I'll give you a heads up. The more guns there are, the more fun to be had by all :). :patriot:

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    ^+1 The Windex and Hoppes works good and is what I use also. Your going to have to be careful or you'll get a bad case of Mosinitis and end up with so many it gives you a headache figuring out which one to take to the range.:) They definitely can become addictive. Wiil post some pics in the long gun show and tell section so you can see what can happen...

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    So a recrowned barrel isn't any big issue? That would be a counterbore to get to some good rifling, right?

Almost picked one up a month and a half ago but didn't because I don't know enough about them to know what to look for.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So a recrowned barrel isn't any big issue? That would be a counterbore to get to some good rifling, right?

Almost picked one up a month and a half ago but didn't because I don't know enough about them to know what to look for.

Recrowning restores accuracy, but reduces the rifle's "historical value" if you are into that aspect.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Essentially a non-issue if your goal is to just shoot with it? Are there any particular things I should look for when looking on over?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, I got magazine, follower, and bolt all cleaned up. When I was spraying the follower down with rem-oil. The screw that holds the spring to the magazine base plate fell out. So, it must have been pretty loose. Just glad I did not loose it. The magazine is now in proper working order. The last round now chambers with no issues. I'm thinking it was that loose screw, that was causing the issue. Either way, I'm happy that's good to go. Now I just need to install the butt pad when it arrives. Then I'll be ready to shoot it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have shot one before, so I know they kick like a mule. I'm going to get a shoulder pad, to wear under my shirt. With my back the way it is, a little reduced recoil will defiantly be nice.

If you want to shoot a little rifle that kicks, try a Steyr-Mannicher Model 95/30.
    It shoots 8x56R 220 grain bullets, and a nice little fireball comes out the end.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Someone told me once that the pain was God's way of telling you that you're not holding it right. ;)

I used to have a k98 8mm Mauser. I don't know how the recoil compares to a Mosin, since I've never shot a Mosin, but I will say that no matter how you held that Mauser, you were going to come away bruised after 30 or 40 rounds. It was amazingly accurate, but jeeeez, it kicked like nobody's business.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Be careful, they are addicting . I have one 91/30 and one M44. The recoil is highly over hyped . I shoot with a light jacket and no pad. But then again I dont put a couple hundred rounds thru it each trip to the range either . Very nice 91/59 , congrats!

Is there anyplace that has a concise description of the differences in the M44 vs. 91/30 vs. 91/59?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the 91/59 Chris. It will be easy to find you at the range now. I'll just have to follow the flash. The Mosin's are a lot of fun to collect as well as to shoot. My two favorite rifles are my M38 (similar to the 91/59) and Finnish M91/30. If you go with commercial ammo, check with Eric down at Atterbury. I think he was selling Winchester for less than $18 per 20. That brass is reloadable, so definitely save it. I've spent over $20 on new, primed brass (per 20) at the 1500, so I just buy from Eric when I need more Mosin brass.

My oldest son is really into reloading for the Mosin and has come up with some interesting loads. We'll be down at Atterbury trying a very light load that uses Hornady XTPs in S&W 32 (.308) backed by a light load of RedDot. He has also found a recipe for a variation of a WWI German AP round that loads the bullet in reverse. It's accurate and cuts a clean hole in the target just as a wadcutter would.

I've found that a .311 bullet works best in my M38, but that commercial Winchester stuff runs well in the Fin 91/30. I have not tried to figure out what the rest of our Mosin's like though.

Here's a shot of my son firing my M38 Mosin one evening at Atterbury.
    picture.php

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Congrats on the 91/59 Chris. It will be easy to find you at the range now. I'll just have to follow the flash. The Mosin's are a lot of fun to collect as well as to shoot. My two favorite rifles are my M38 (similar to the 91/59) and Finnish M91/30. If you go with commercial ammo, check with Eric down at Atterbury. I think he was selling Winchester for less than $18 per 20. That brass is reloadable, so definitely save it. I've spent over $20 on new, primed brass (per 20) at the 1500, so I just buy from Eric when I need more Mosin brass.

My oldest son is really into reloading for the Mosin and has come up with some interesting loads. We'll be down at Atterbury trying a very light load that uses Hornady XTPs in S&W 32 (.308) backed by a light load of RedDot. He has also found a recipe for a variation of a WWI German AP round that loads the bullet in reverse. It's accurate and cuts a clean hole in the target just as a wadcutter would.

I've found that a .311 bullet works best in my M38, but that commercial Winchester stuff runs well in the Fin 91/30. I have not tried to figure out what the rest of our Mosin's like though.

Here's a shot of my son firing my M38 Mosin one evening at Atterbury.
    picture.php

When I have the funds, I plan on getting into reloading. Probably will not happen until I finish school. As of now, I have some Wolf, Brown Bear, and some Corossive that has the tip of the bullet painted Gray. As soon as Cru gets his Remmy, we are planning on making a day. So, I will see how she shoots. Hopefully, I'll run into you again.

bigchis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I also finally broke down and bought a 91/30. The shop I picked it up at also had a m44 and I figured I would want it eventually so I bought it at the same time. I can't wait to get out and shoot them. I need to clean them up a little bit first though.

Top Bottom