• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Picked this up last week, did a little research and found they do have some what of a history but depending on who you ask... It may very from the one thing to another. I do know for a fact that they were made from 1985-87 and the one I have does have the 150 year Anniversary emblem on the grip so it was made it 86. This is a Peacekeeper, not to be confused with the Peacemaker. I did fire a few rounds through it this weekend and it is very accurate, I have a 1911 which does not seem to be so it did honestly impress me a bit. Anybody know any more info on these, not a lot of info out there and upon a serial number search on the Colt website it pulls up everything but the Peacekeeper.
    ColtPeacekeeper.jpg

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I believe that was their "budget" version of the Trooper. I'm not sure where they saved costs other than the finish. Still, it's a nice revolver, especiallly for a guy's first one! Mine was a Charter Arms Undercover....lol.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I believe that was their "budget" version of the Trooper. I'm not sure where they saved costs other than the finish. Still, it's a nice revolver, especiallly for a guy's first one! Mine was a Charter Arms Undercover....lol.

I think this is correct . A very nice gun, congrats it's a fine pick up.:rockwoot:
    FWIW these weren't made long and " budget model" or not it's still a Colt revolver,out of production and gaining value every day.

FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The firearm fits in the hands nicely, no complaints. The finish does almost look like a black wood grain. Personally I do like the finish as it is unique, it is a .357 Mag. I'm more than happy with my purchase. I would suggest picking one up if you can find one.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I can't give you any more information but I did have one a few years ago but like a lot of my guns it got traded for something different. Seeing this one makes me wish that I still had it. Enjoy your new toy.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I owned one in 4in bbl back in the late 80's. Not a bad revolver, not made for long, and my finish was similar to yours. Shot well, and was a typical Colt. Sold mine to finance a Gold Cup 45 ACP, also a quality firearm at the time. Enjoy yours, it was a solid buy.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is that a S&W 357 mag? I like it a lot!

I wonder what a different set of grips would make that look like?

Dancing horse on the side = Colt. As does the cylinder release shaped like that which is pulled back to activate. Easy ways to tell them apart at a glace.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Peacekeeper was basically an unpolished Trooper MKV 357 Magnum. The polishers for Colt were UAW members and they were on a long strike so Colt introduced the Peacekeeper to keep the doors open and produce guns. Once the strike ended the Peacekeeper was dropped, although it's action went on to become the King Cobra. I've seen several of these as well as the Colt Commando and other "strike Guns" back in the day bit never owned one. Should be a fine revolver.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I have a S & W and a Colt Python. I don't think you can go wrong with a Colt. I hope you like yours as much as I've liked mine over the years. Congratulations on your purchase.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I bought a Colt peacekeeper with a 4" barrel back in 1991 from Walmart in another state while in the military. They supposedly made them from 85 to 1989/90 ish. Mine was on the wall with other handguns at Walmart in Arkansas when they had such a thing. I can say I didn't have mine long. After about 300 rounds (mostley 38 special) It started to misfire 10-30% of the time. Which was a no go since I was going to use it as a duty gun. I called Colt and since it was discontinued they didn't act like they wanted to bother with me. I got a S&W 686 and never looked back.

The Peacekeeper was one of the most accurate revolvers I ever shot hope you have good luck with yours.

Top Bottom