• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Picked up some 1953 Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, 30-06 ammo, The cases are a dark brass color, But the actual bullets shows some washed out color. So as where as the bullet would have been a copper color the have maybe 80 to 90 % have lost their color and are now more of dull steel color.

Has any one ever see this, and would this stop you from shooting them..???

the shell does not show any corrosion

mike

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Pictures would be real helpful here. From your description I don't see why there would be any cause for concern, sounds like typical wear and aging of the brass/bullets to me. That being said, I'm no expert on surplus ammo.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Push a magnet to the bullet. That is probably a mild steel bullet with copper plating. No real worries, as always, be sure of your backstop. I don't remember the years, but that may be old enough to have corrosive priming. Be sure to clean your rifle properly right away. Good Luck

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh my. I looked at the first pic and hit "next", thinking it would show me your next one. It didn't. It was someone else's (nsfw) and the one after that is even worse. Just so's people know.

Copper and brass will both oxidize, and react with other chemicals. As long as they're not deformed by it, they should be fine. You could shine them up with Brasso, I bet, but much work for nothing.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Push a magnet to the bullet. That is probably a mild steel bullet with copper plating. No real worries, as always, be sure of your backstop. I don't remember the years, but that may be old enough to have corrosive priming. Be sure to clean your rifle properly right away. Good Luck

Yes you were right the bullet is magnetic, I guess I need to start finding out more about 30-06 ammo, I would not have guessed that on my own.. El Mucho thanks

Mike

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Oh my. I looked at the first pic and hit "next", thinking it would show me your next one. It didn't. It was someone else's (nsfw) and the one after that is even worse. Just so's people know.

C

wow, all I can say is wow. That was either a very exotic or Scary young lady.. I think it depends on how old you are... Let me assure you that I do not know her. If I did I would not have the energy to worry about some darn discolored bullets :rolleyes:

Top Bottom