• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I know these 2 things are completely different, but I want to get something before the year is out, so asking you guys here. What's a good "long range" rifle for just target shooting. I don't plan on going hunting with it. Just occasionally taking it to the range, get a descent scope or even buy one with one already attached and having fun at the range for cheap. Cheap as in not break the bank. I've seen rifles from Remington 700s ranging to 500 bucks. So that's a price I can live with or cheaper with Savages. So any suggestions?

Or the Henry AR-7 Survival rifle. I saw a few videos on it and it seemed like a neat rifle that just packs away. Any comments on it? Pros and cons? Or should I get something like the Ruger 10/22 take down as my sorta extra backpack gun to just keep around?

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Ruger American in .308 - inexpensive but with features of a more expensive rifle. Some packages come with a good scope.

AR7 is a blast - just make sure you get high velocity ammo, or something it likes. The new Henrys are much better than the older Survival Arms or Charter Arms models. It is a lot lighter and smaller than a 10/22 takedown, but mag capacity is more limited, and no possibility of a threaded barrel. It does float, though.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    When you ask "long range rifle" what do you consider long range? For some folks, the answer is out to 200 yards, for others it starts at 200 and goes up from there. What distance do you intend to shoot?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ^ This.
    I suggest you look into the Howa 1500 Sporter.
    Available in quite an array of calibers, and is a nice starter "long range" rifle, though I don't think you'll find a lot of after market upgrades offered.
    I have one in .204 Ruger that I like quite a bit.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    Get a howa 1500 predator with bull barrel in .308. Comes with nikko sterling target master. I shoot quarter sized groups at 400 yards with mine. EDIT

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    quarter-coin-costume-03b.jpg

Seems legit...

Attachments

• quarter-coin-costume-03b.jpg
      quarter-coin-costume-03b.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 0

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    They each have their pros and cons.
    AR7 - light, floats, small, not a single shot, relatively easy to work on. Finicky about ammo, 8 to 10 shot max (aftermarket 15-rounders are problematic, since welding is not precise and the feed ramp is part of the mag and requires precision), stock not all that strong, not so accurate at long distances, won't take a scope and still pack up.

10/22 - accurate, lots of aftermarket, threaded barrel possible, nice backpack, very sturdy, not as picky about ammo, can take a scope and still pack if you choose carefully. Also heavier and bulkier than the AR7, doesn't float.

Sub 2000 - higher power cartridge, variety of mags possible, folds up small, some aftermarket. Still heavier and bulkier than the AR7 and the ammo weighs more, strange sights, difficult cheek weld, can't fold up with a scope attached.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd recommend a Marlin Papoose over the AR-7. With barrel mounted sights, it should be more accurate than the AR-7 with the rear sight on the receiver and the front sight on the removable barrel.

Top Bottom