• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've generally had good experiences with the ROs at Kingsbury & JP. You've got to understand the level of incompetence they see from the general public. Maybe 1 in 10 are safe & proficient, only 1 in 100 are skilled marksmen.

Occasionally an RO decides on a tortured interpretation of obscure rules/procedures about who gets the brass or if you can prep magazines away from the bench, behind the line, during a cease fire.

Craziest interaction? Had an RO give me a talking to about sweeping up brass forward of the line, during a cease fire, separating cases from grass/dirt/gravel, and putting cases in the range bucket but replacing grass/dirt/gravel back where it came from. It was cordial, but a complete waste of his time and mine.

As I told him, I might encourage you to watch the unsafe and idiotic behavior that goes on:
    • Missing the target stand @50y
    • Shooting across lanes
    • Flagging the line while transporting and uncasing firearms
    • Firing rounds into overhead baffles
    • Going downrange when it's hot
    • Handling firearms while people are downrange
    • Shooting while people are downrange
    There are other DNR locations with less supervision and stupid people, but it depends on the day...

One day soon I'm taking a VTAC board to JP to see who flips their lid.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I had just the opposite. The staff saw me picking up my brass and on the way out ask what calibers I reload and I said all of em..They ask if I wanted some free brass and I said sure. They sent a guy to go get me some and he came back with a 5 gal bucket. Even carried it to my car for me. I offered them 20 bucks and he wouldn't even take it. Let's just say they earned a customer and I drive out of my way to go there. Shop there and order there.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    Yes I was at JP and picking up brass where I was shooting not mine it was the guy before me. The RO drove up and told me I could not do that. So I tried to hand it to him so he would not have to pick it up later. I did pick up mine. So now if I want to pick up brass I look to see where the brass is and that is where I shoot.
    They don't pick any brass up at Jasper-Pulaski. I was there 2 days in one week before and the same brass was imbedded in the gravel. They are just pricks because they are told to be. DNR has got some lame employees. john at Kingsbury is the worst. I just about decked that ass one day for smarting off to me.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    I know they say you can't be safe enough at the range, but my God does the DNR take it to anal extremes! It is just not even fun being at those ranges! Having the range officers make snide comments to you when they visit your stations gets old really quick. I am partially disabled, and they don't give one rip about that also.

Last edited:

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The worst thing about Roush is that even though they let you pick up your own brass, the brass they collect is supposed to be taken to a scrap yard and the person taking it is required to witness it being shredded so that it cannot be sold to shooters to be reloaded.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If any range ever tells me that I cannot keep my own brass, it would be my last time going there. Other peoples’ brass I’ll leave be, but mine? It comes home with me if I want it, hard stop.
    Same. I'd continue picking my brass. They can ban me if they like.

"Why did they kick/ban you?"
    "For collecting my own property."

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....I live a few miles from Atterbury....I used to go over to the trap range and collect shotgun hulls....haven't been in a while, they didn't care but that may have changed...that has been a couple years ago....

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If any range ever tells me that I cannot keep my own brass, it would be my last time going there. Other peoples’ brass I’ll leave be, but mine? It comes home with me if I want it, hard stop.
    I was at a range in San Antonio Texas that got after me for picking up my brass. They were making sure I didn't get any extra..
    The guy shooting beside me was a Texas State trooper.
    He was listening in on the conversation and told me in front of the RO that I could have his brass also. The RO shut up and walked away. I ended up with about 2× 9mm brass that day.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thanks everyone. I guess I need to be more observant. I belong to ACC, and I think they encourage the picking up of discarded brass, but after today, I am going to make sure I ask first.

@1911LY: Loving the new setup! Light years ahead of the LCT as far as throughput goes. I hope things go well with your procedure tomorrow. Bad back stuff sucks for sure.
    This is one of the reasons I quit using indoor ranges. Many say "you can pick up your own brass;" but then they come along while you are shooting and sweep it all forward of the firing line. When I questioned them about it, they claimed it was a safety issue and they sweep every few minutes. WTAH? Something really wrong with that.

I understand the money issue for them, but I should be able to collect what I brought in.
    (Especially when it is 45ACP, 300BLK, or 44MAG.)

I too am at ACC and pick up brass all the time. Though, only what I reload.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    This is one of the reasons I quit using indoor ranges. Many say "you can pick up your own brass;" but then they come along while you are shooting and sweep it all forward of the firing line. When I questioned them about it, they claimed it was a safety issue and they sweep every few minutes. WTAH? Something really wrong with that.

I understand the money issue for them, but I should be able to collect what I brought in.
    (Especially when it is 45ACP, 300BLK, or 44MAG.)

I too am at ACC and pick up brass all the time. Though, only what I reload.
    I don't pick up any brass I don't reload. I lose brass at the range and like to supplement my count when I can.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Only indoor range I shot at was the Muncie Rifle and Pistol Club range which was a members only and you could go in whenever to shoot so there was no problem picking up your own brass. No way I would shoot anywhere where the range takes my brass. The outdoor range I have been shooting this year at I have picked up quite a lot of 9mm brass just laying around.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    Only indoor range I shot at was the Muncie Rifle and Pistol Club range which was a members only and you could go in whenever to shoot so there was no problem picking up your own brass. No way I would shoot anywhere where the range takes my brass. The outdoor range I have been shooting this year at I have picked up quite a lot of 9mm brass just laying around.
    Most clubs don't care what happens to the left brass. That's why I would rejoin one.

Top Bottom