• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    No way am I going to shoot around people I don't know. No way will I ever pay to shoot stationary paper from a fixed position.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    All cost issues aside. It looks real nice. I will keep patronizing the Winamac range though. Have been for 25 years.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    No way am I going to shoot around people I don't know. No way will I ever pay to shoot stationary paper from a fixed position.
    If that works for you, great! Keep in mind, though, that a huge portion of the shooting community does not have access to free/private shooting space. I would love to have a nice chunk of land where I could do as I please, but I don't.......

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    Eagle sports range in oak forest Illinois is $20 an hour....point blank is $12 an hour.....I know, I know it used to be free at willow slough.......some of you guys would complain if it was free and they handed out $20 bills every 5 minutes

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I go to J/P, but I will say that its a beautiful range, I enjoy shooting outside , better than inside.The price isnt too bad I would say, to have a nice range to go to.Just like one guy said , you are not being forced to go to this range but I think it would be a nice range.Great way to spend day.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    $7.00 per hour? Pretty steep if you ask me. Nice facility but I will still go to Jasper Pulaski or Winamac for free.

Weedsnager nails it. Somewhere indoors is usually twice or three times the money. And for those whining because "we already paid for it", do you get in to state parks and reservoirs for free? We've paid for those as well....

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Weedsnager nails it. Somewhere indoors is usually twice or three times the money. And for those whining because "we already paid for it", do you get in to state parks and reservoirs for free? We've paid for those as well....

True, but you also don't pay for access to those places by the hour. I think that most would agree that paying a fee for access is one thing, paying by the hour is what is off putting.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    $7.00 per hour? Pretty steep if you ask me. Nice facility but I will still go to Jasper Pulaski or Winamac for free.
    ...while you can.
    Eagle sports range in oak forest Illinois is $20 an hour....point blank is $12 an hour.....I know, I know it used to be free at willow slough.......some of you guys would complain if it was free and they handed out $20 bills every 5 minutes
    so true.
    True, but you also don't pay for access to those places by the hour. I think that most would agree that paying a fee for access is one thing, paying by the hour is what is off putting.
    Excellent analogy.

There are 2 parts to the "dig" as I understand it. 1 - having to pay anything because you didn't have to before. 2 - the contract to run the place was awarded to an IL company and the money is going to them. I can't confirm that, but it is what I have read on the boards.
    That said, last time I went to winimac we had to sit and wait for an open bench on the 100 and 200. Guess what? Bunch of older guys (weekday in the AM) just sitting around b.s.-ing. Weren't even on the benches just had their crap everywhere. Didn't care that we wanted to shoot, they just sat on their tailgates yapping. Finally the 200 opened and while we were there to sight in some unshot rifles and starting at 200 sucked and wasted ammo and time - and impossible on one of the rifles - it was all we could shoot on.
    Point? By the hour charging also allows more people to get access and not have the "lot lizards" with nothing to do take up the space and not use it just because they can.
    Aside from that, I with NEVER drive right by JP to go shoot at winimac again just because they have sidewalks and a brick crapper. thankfully, I do not require the accessibility improvements and hope I never do.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    ...while you can.

so true.

Excellent analogy.

There are 2 parts to the "dig" as I understand it. 1 - having to pay anything because you didn't have to before. 2 - the contract to run the place was awarded to an IL company and the money is going to them. I can't confirm that, but it is what I have read on the boards.
    That said, last time I went to winimac we had to sit and wait for an open bench on the 100 and 200. Guess what? Bunch of older guys (weekday in the AM) just sitting around b.s.-ing. Weren't even on the benches just had their crap everywhere. Didn't care that we wanted to shoot, they just sat on their tailgates yapping. Finally the 200 opened and while we were there to sight in some unshot rifles and starting at 200 sucked and wasted ammo and time - and impossible on one of the rifles - it was all we could shoot on.
    Point? By the hour charging also allows more people to get access and not have the "lot lizards" with nothing to do take up the space and not use it just because they can.
    Aside from that, I with NEVER drive right by JP to go shoot at winimac again just because they have sidewalks and a brick crapper. thankfully, I do not require the accessibility improvements and hope I never do.

As much as I like Winamac. You make some good points in the above with regard to the "lot lizards" issue there . It seems like in the last couple of years it has become more crowded than it used to be? Not sure why for sure?

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    As much as I like Winamac. You make some good points in the above with regard to the "lot lizards" issue there . It seems like in the last couple of years it has become more crowded than it used to be? Not sure why for sure?

My wife works at a restaurant....when people stay long after their bill is paid they are known as "campers"

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I'd like to make it out there at some point. No rush, don't have a private place to shoot but the folks at Parabellum and Bass and Bucks treat us just fine.

Top Bottom