• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    3422423897_5681ddba3b_o.jpg

If it were not for appleseed i would have no idea that this jack put his sling on backwards. cool picture all the way up until he was talking about all the guns he owns and then you see the sling on backwards making you think.....

Does he REALLY know how to use them???

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, I don't get it. Could someone please explain what "backward" means in regard to a two point sling? It has two ends, and two doodads. What difference does it make which way it's on there, or is that the joke?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i believe (and as a non appleseader i could be way off) but it would make scence for the adjustable end of the sling to for on the forarm not the buttstock.

again if im wrong dont flame me to bad

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ok, I don't get it. Could someone please explain what "backward" means in regard to a two point sling? It has two ends, and two doodads. What difference does it make which way it's on there, or is that the joke?

the part of the sling that is attached to the back of the stock is the part that you open up to put your arm through in order to fire in a sling supported position. the part he has on the front often gets loosened or disconnected to allow more movement in the prong slung up position.

its a 1907 sling. and here it is in use

images

images

images

images

Once you have used one you would see how silly this is, its kind of like seeing a car moving the correct direction in traffic, but driving in reverse so its pointed the opposite direction than all the other cars its with...

just really silly.... what made it even more funny was that the person who claimed the rifle was bragging about his collection but clearly he has purchased items that he doesnt have a clue what they were truly intended for.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not only is it backwards, but is it upside down too? I can't quite tell.

At tomorrow's Garand match, we will spend the vast majority of the preparation period getting 1907 and web slings correctly on rifles.

We are glad to do it. But I continue to be amazed at how guys just throw slings on their rifles. Changing the world, one shooter at a time.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont believe its upside down, because once you put the twist in it the metal cleats would NOT be against your hand, so at least he got one part of the equasion correct.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, I've never actually had any training regarding a sling; I use a three point and never used the sling for support. That one just looked pretty much the same at both ends to me. Maybe I need to show up at one of your events sometime. The more you know!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ok, lets try this a differant way.... on a 1907 sling the part that is doubled over is where you put your arm through before you wrap your arm around it and hold the forend. w/ the leather "keeper" you see on there you form an opening that fits around your arm. that opening needs to be close to the forend because that it what creates the backwards pressure on the rifle when the sling gets pulled tight.

its the doubled over part that you use to help form a solid sling supported position. the single layer of leather is slimply to attach the other end of the sling and keep it from flopping around. also makes a carry strap and assists in a hasty position.

the way the rifle is set up in the picture the sling can in no way be used as it was intended.

here is a video that might help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaRCFpH27-w[/ame]

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That is a GREAT explanatory video. Thanks for posting it. It answers lots of questions. Rep will be on the way, for sure.

For you history buffs, the First Marines on Guadalcanal used their 1903 Springfields and the 1907 sling to make head shots at 300 yards + on Japanese troops that were trying to swim away after the Battle of the Tenaru River.

They slung up just like they did at Camp Perry and got the job done.

There is a history of marksmanship in this country and Appleseed and CMP matches keep this legacy alive.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Unfortunatly you shouldnt have to refer to it as a legacy, it should be basic knowlege for every american who owns a rifle.

i aim to do my part in making that a reality, and that starts w/ teaching everyone on person at a time.

i am traveling to richmond tomorrow to shoot w/ a buddy w/ the sole purpose of teaching him how to use his turner sling that i talked him into buying 6 months ago.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ok, I've never actually had any training regarding a sling; I use a three point and never used the sling for support. That one just looked pretty much the same at both ends to me. Maybe I need to show up at one of your events sometime. The more you know!

you can get into a better prone position w/ a sling than you can w/ any bipod or bench.

and its a MUCH MUCH MUCH more satisfactory way of shooting to boot.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, yeah, I need to learn that stuff. Should be able to duplicate it with webbing; I have a lot of that and the connectors and whatnot.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its a refinished stock off a 10/22 international... the stock style is called a mannlicher...

i found it while browsing pictures to show my wife since we are redoing her ruger. she picked a factory contour stainless shilen match barrel being put into a american black walnut mannlicher stock w/ a montycarlo syle raised comb, all made out of a AA fine fancy stock blank.... gimme three months and ill be putting pictures up.

Top Bottom