• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    In the very near future I will be needing a nice piece of glass for my (in the process of being put together) 6.5 grendel, 24 in barrel, AR-15 platform rifle. Now, the main purpose of this gun is most likely going to be a bench gun for target shooting, at long distances (max distance unknown) with the possibility of being used as a varmint rifle. I think my budget on the glass would be anywhere from $300-400.
    Right now on my AR-15 in .223 i have a leupold 3-9x40 which i am very happy with, however it is good up to a certain distance, im looking for a scope in which i will be able to see my target clearly at further distances.
    If i missed any other bit of information you may need in assisting me with what would be YOUR pick at a scope for this type of rifle, within the allotted amount in which i have stated, please let me know!
    I look forward to hearing what INGO has to say!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    300-400 id look at the viper hs 2.5-10x44 or the viper 6.5-20x44 if you like a little more zoom. both scopes track well, good glass, and audible clicks. also on the jsut south of 300 dollars end look at the wotac

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    i wish i was in the game to spend 1500+ on a scope but at this time its just not do-able
    When I bought my two McBROS 50 BMG I was told that I need to buy NIGHTFORCE NXS 5.5-22X56 :rolleyes: Nice scope but very expensive, then the the next two 50 BMG I bought BUSHNELL ELITE 6500 4.5-30X50 & the BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 8-32X50. I can recommend these scope;)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    This guy is a little long winded but it seems like a good test none the less...
    [ame]http://youtu.be/qsVmkeRMULw[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/utt0ewsqans[/ame]

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    At that price point I would go with this...

SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

im not a big supersniper fan, i had 2 and both were just to dark fo me. truth be told ill never own another fixed power scope again. i will say the tracking was top notch with the supernsipers i had

there is a big diffrence between decent and top of the line. in a perfect world every scope on every rifle would be a uso, s&b, nightforce, swarovski etc.

on my guns some of them i NEED the preformance so they wear scopes like nf and swarovski. on others i dont need as much preformance i just need quality. will the votrex hs do everything a nightforce will? absolutly not. do all shooters plan on shooting 1000 plus yards? absolutly not

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    im not a big supersniper fan, i had 2 and both were just to dark fo me. truth be told ill never own another fixed power scope again. i will say the tracking was top notch with the supernsipers i had

there is a big diffrence between decent and top of the line. in a perfect world every scope on every rifle would be a uso, s&b, nightforce, swarovski etc.

on my guns some of them i NEED the preformance so they wear scopes like nf and swarovski. on others i dont need as much preformance i just need quality. will the votrex hs do everything a nightforce will? absolutly not. do all shooters plan on shooting 1000 plus yards? absolutly not

While on the subject of fixed power scopes, i was actually having a conversation with a pal who is putting together a similar setup, he wants a fixed power scope, and i asked him for his reasoning, now with that being said, whats your reasoning for not wanting another fixed power?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Have you had personal experience with the SWFA scopes?

No I don't but I have been researching scopes in the same price point you speak of for quite awhile. I am shooting 5.56 not 6.8 my goal is to be able to reach out to 300-400 yards. As I get older I have noticed that 9x or 10X just doesn't get it done for me out past 150-200 yards. As far as fixed vs variable scopes it has been my understanding that especially in less expensive scopes there is less parallax or distortion to deal with in a fixed power scope. I find that when using my 3X9 even at 100 yards I always have it cranked up all the way so for me I see no need for the variable scope. When I shoot at 50 yards or less I generally use either my Holo sight or BUIS. When I first started asking the same question as you here on the forum about a year ago the SWFA scopes were highly recommended to me at that time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    While on the subject of fixed power scopes, i was actually having a conversation with a pal who is putting together a similar setup, he wants a fixed power scope, and i asked him for his reasoning, now with that being said, whats your reasoning for not wanting another fixed power?

the main benifit to fixed power is you get the benifits of ffp without paying for ffp.

my main reason for not liking fixed power is there is no 1 power setting perfect for all my shooting. on a hunting rifle i may be taking a 50yd shot and 16x be to much. on a target rifle 16x may be to much zoom for the mirage one day and the next day ill be saying "i wish i ccould zoom a little more" i guess i like the control to set my scope for any given situation.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    the main benifit to fixed power is you get the benifits of ffp without paying for ffp.

my main reason for not liking fixed power is there is no 1 power setting perfect for all my shooting. on a hunting rifle i may be taking a 50yd shot and 16x be to much. on a target rifle 16x may be to much zoom for the mirage one day and the next day ill be saying "i wish i ccould zoom a little more" i guess i like the control to set my scope for any given situation.

I completely agree.

Top Bottom