• ...and so much more!
  • Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    For those in the most NW part of Indiana:

In Whiting, Indiana on 119th Street there's an awesome festival going on right now!

Lots of different food, music, entertainment and for those that drink alcohol, there's a beer garden.

http://pierogifest.net/

Last edited:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I'll be there tonight and tomorrow during the day! Only about 2 blocks from my house and I don't have to cook!

I'll be the one with the big black dog!

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I'll be there tonight and tomorrow during the day! Only about 2 blocks from my house and I don't have to cook!

I'll be the one with the big black dog!

I live a few blocks away as well. If I see you tomorrow, I'll introduce myself.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I have yet to figure out how to add links to my posts but make sure you check out "NWI INGO Meet and Shoot" and "NWI INGO General Post". Lots of great people!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I use to love pierogi fest. It's hard to find good Polish food in central IN.
    Umm, perogies are UKRAINIAN (formerly part of Poland);) I'm Ukrainian and am familiar with the traditional cheese/potato perogies Great Grandma always made, as well as some modern variations of the same. It still takes at least a full day in the kitchen to make them properly, but I can get them in the freezer section of wallyworld for next to nothing and add a bit of onion, bacon, sour cream and cottage cheese.......mmmmm. I was actually there tonight and found a new brand for $1.12 per 18 as opposed to the usual $2.48 per 12 of the other brand. I stocked the freezer with all they offered. I would LOVE to attend and learn about some of the other fillings/variations but alas, am too far away and the race is Sunday. When I lived in Coon Rapids, MN there was a Ukrainian deli that offered to make them to order....they had some very interesting meat products (I really liked one of the spicy "salami" variations offered) as well as some odd "pickled" green tomatoes....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Umm, perogies are UKRAINIAN (formerly part of Poland);) I'm Ukrainian and am familiar with the traditional cheese/potato perogies Great Grandma always made, as well as some modern variations of the same. It still takes at least a full day in the kitchen to make them properly, but I can get them in the freezer section of wallyworld for next to nothing and add a bit of onion, bacon, sour cream and cottage cheese.......mmmmm. I was actually there tonight and found a new brand for $1.12 per 18 as opposed to the usual $2.48 per 12 of the other brand. I stocked the freezer with all they offered. I would LOVE to attend and learn about some of the other fillings/variations but alas, am too far away and the race is Sunday. When I lived in Coon Rapids, MN there was a Ukrainian deli that offered to make them to order....they had some very interesting meat products (I really liked one of the spicy "salami" variations offered) as well as some odd "pickled" green tomatoes....
    I should of said Eastern European. Geez, I don't want to get into an ethnic war. The slovaks make them, too. I learned from my Mother and Grandmother. Your right, it takes a long time to prepare them properly. Mom's church sell them in the fall and they are excellent. They have a crew that does each step by hand to prepare them for the week. There is nothing like homemade. The store bought can't touch them in flavor and texture. The mushroom and the potato are my favorite. There are so many different varieties. Although the cheese are very good,..now I'm getting hungry.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I should of said Eastern European. Geez, I don't want to get into an ethnic war. The slovaks make them, too. I learned from my Mother and Grandmother. Your right, it takes a long time to prepare them properly. Mom's church sell them in the fall and they are excellent. They have a crew that does each step by hand to prepare them for the week. There is nothing like homemade. The store bought can't touch them in flavor and texture. The mushroom and the potato are my favorite. There are so many different varieties. Although the cheese are very good,..now I'm getting hungry.
    LOL, well, stalin did kill over 100 million of us without regard for actual national borders....may he rot in peace. I should have posted in purple. seriously though, we make a casserole with lasagne noodles and layer the other ingredients. It is VERY simple, quick and oh soooo gooood.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    LOL, well, stalin did kill over 100 million of us without regard for actual national borders....may he rot in peace. I should have posted in purple. seriously though, we make a casserole with lasagne noodles and layer the other ingredients. It is VERY simple, quick and oh soooo gooood.....
    That does sound good. How long do you bake it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Until we can't wait any longer! Usually about 30-45 minutes. It's sort of a trial and error thing every time. We boil the noodles first so it's just a matter of getting it all hot depending on the size of the pan.
    :laugh: I'm going to have to try it. I don't have the patience of my Mother and Grandmother to stay in the kitchen all day to make them. :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    :laugh: I'm going to have to try it. I don't have the patience of my Mother and Grandmother to stay in the kitchen all day to make them. :D
    You're in Johnson Co. can't be more than 20 minutes from me......Let me know and maybe we can start our own "pierogie fest". I drive OTR and have passed by the one up north and a few others nationally but never had time to stop....Always glad to share my recipes as well as my BBQ.....I have my own line of rubs and sauces soon to be marketed. The local favorite seems to be my "Applque" sauce, an apple based sweet bbq sauce (I prefer my Texas pepper sauce). They will both cure the common cold at the very least and my dry rub usually needs to be thinned out with brown sugar for most palates. Seriously, let's get together some weekend I'm always happy to share and I run the smoker all winter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    You're in Johnson Co. can't be more than 20 minutes from me......Let me know and maybe we can start our own "pierogie fest". I drive OTR and have passed by the one up north and a few others nationally but never had time to stop....Always glad to share my recipes as well as my BBQ.....I have my own line of rubs and sauces soon to be marketed. The local favorite seems to be my "Applque" sauce, an apple based sweet bbq sauce (I prefer my Texas pepper sauce). They will both cure the common cold at the very least and my dry rub usually needs to be thinned out with brown sugar for most palates. Seriously, let's get together some weekend I'm always happy to share and I run the smoker all winter.
    Absolutely!! ( Maybe 25 minutes with traffic) :n00b: I'd love that!

Top Bottom