• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why? What happened?

Traffic. Oodles & oodles of traffic.

And I know that the NPS wants to maintain a "relatively" low-impact on their properties, but the parking accommodations at the interest points are woefully inadequate. There were plenty of things that we'd have liked to do / see / photo / hike / etc but couldn't because there simply wasn't enough parking.

*sigh*

So...mainly fault ME for deciding to go there at the peak of fall foliage color season.

AND I didn't even visit Smokey Mountain Knife Works. (again, my call. Sleeping 8-month old while on the way back home = don't you dare stop & spoil the relative bliss)

-J-

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Amen. I love the general area... it's beautiful. But the traffic is horrible. And all the shops that thrive on selling crap just to prove you were there are hilarious. Give me a smaller town with real people and 1/100 as many cars.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    A week later, & you would have been good to go. But, you did see beautiful country. I understand about the sleeping baby, we drove around yesterday with our grandaughter before we went to lunch. Sorry you missed SMKW.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Went during peak season, huh? :D

I'm heading down that way in about 2 weeks. Should be a nice trip.

But, yeah, the parking can be pretty bad if you don't like to walk. Traffic can be Horrendous!. We drove down on July 4th weekend a few years ago. It was beyond crazy, but then was a ghost town come that Monday.

Maybe I'll stop @ SMKW just for you. That kinda like a punch in the face, right? ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Amen. I love the general area... it's beautiful. But the traffic is horrible. And all the shops that thrive on selling crap just to prove you were there are hilarious. Give me a smaller town with real people and 1/100 as many cars.

And the $80 plainest of the plain Kershaw Leek that was at the ninjy store "mall" in Gatlinburg... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Try the southern or western entrances through Cherokee or Townsend. I don't think they get nearly as busy.

We were in/around/through Townsend about 5 times during our stay. We went to Tuskaleechee Caverns Thursday morning. Worth it if anyone's interested! Tuckaleechee Caverns - Home

-J-

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know what you mean about traffic, we were there Labor day weekend and it was bad. We went with a group of people, otherwise I never would at that time. I absolutely love the area, though. I've found that the first weekend in may is generally not very busy.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We used to love riding our motorcycles around that area. Last time, I hated it and i have no desire to go back. It was early summer, and the traffic sucked almost everywhere! I used to love the ride there and back, last time i felt like i was in constant panic mode!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    My wife and I were married there YEARS ago , and we loved it , rented a cabin , married in the cabin great times .

We returned there last year at the end of March , didn't care to much for it .
    When we married , the cabins were far apat from each other , we could barley see the next cabin .
    Last year the cabin every were we went were right on top of each other .

HATED it

I guess every good thing gets to overgrown.:dunno:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    So...mainly fault ME for deciding to go there at the peak of fall foliage color season.

Don't you know better than go at that time? :)

I've learned that you always arrive on Sunday when the majority of the traffic is leaving the area and leave on Saturday to avoid the mass exodus out of town. I made the mistake of going once during fall season and never again. We always plan our annual trip at the end of Sept. Trees are just starting to change, kids are back in school, between seasons and all this equates to smaller crowds/less traffic/smaller lines. I've also learned to avoid the 2 large car shows mid Sept.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We used to love riding our motorcycles around that area. Last time, I hated it and i have no desire to go back. It was early summer, and the traffic sucked almost everywhere! I used to love the ride there and back, last time i felt like i was in constant panic mode!

Still plenty of motorcyclists of ALL flavors, shapes, & sizes in the area. After driving several of the US and State highways, I can see why!

We totally Tamed the Dragon in the Kia Minivan. Yep. I'm hard-core. :rockwoot:

It's better in the springtime anyway, wonderful flowering trees and all the buds coming out in the lowlands, and then drive up to Clingman's Dome for a wintry blast.:D

We ended up near Clingman's Dome a year and a half ago when we went to Asheville, NC for a week. We left town and chased waterfalls; one of the back-country mountain roads afforded us good views! Still haven't ever actually BEEN to the dome, though. Been up and hiked around on Mt. Mitchell, though. It's higher...so there! :laugh:

Don't you know better than go at that time? :)

I've learned that you always arrive on Sunday when the majority of the traffic is leaving the area and leave on Saturday to avoid the mass exodus out of town. I made the mistake of going once during fall season and never again. We always plan our annual trip at the end of Sept. Trees are just starting to change, kids are back in school, between seasons and all this equates to smaller crowds/less traffic/smaller lines. I've also learned to avoid the 2 large car shows mid Sept.

Sure, I know better NOW! This trip coincided with my wife's school's fall break. She had Thurs/Friday off; so I took a few days and we went.

:laugh::lmfao::hehe:

Oh man, I can relate. We went during the 2nd week of October several years ago...took us nearly 5hrs to drive the Cade's Cove loop. What a disaster.

We did about a third of Cade's Cove... We bailed off and exited via Parson Branch Rd. :D (The unimproved gravel/dirt one-way road out to US 129 - The Tail of the Dragon)

-J-

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I was out there about 1 month ago. I had a great time. There was some traffic as there always is but it was not bad at all. Did not take long to get into any of the attractions and the drive up the mountain was wonderful. You just picked a very busy time of year.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We just got back from there yesterday. Two words, "back roads". It took us 30 minutes to get from Gatlinburg past Pigeon Forge using a back road right off our cabin.

We love going hiking but agree that it's getting too crowded. We highly recommend getting a cabin and cooking for all of your meals as pretty much every restaurant is completely awful. We do like getting a large cabin and going with other families and letting the kids tear around the woods and us having quiet time.

Freaky incident with a bear right off a parking lot on the strip in the pitch black night too.

Top Bottom