• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge later in March (usual trip to mountains for us). So I have been checking websites, and I am more confused now that when I began. According to NRA-ILA my LCTH is valid in both Kentucky and Tennessee. According to TN website though, I am not so sure.

Handgun Carry Permit Reciprocity Information

Can anyone clear the fodder for me?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge later in March (usual trip to mountains for us). So I have been checking websites, and I am more confused now that when I began. According to NRA-ILA my LCTH is valid in both Kentucky and Tennessee. According to TN website though, I am not so sure.

Tennessee recognizes our LTCH's. If it is the facially valid part that is confusing you, that only means that the information on the front of your LTCH must be valid.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    What I get from that is that TN recognizes any license that is facially valid (IE, if you have an expiration date, it hasn't passed, or if you have the lifetime, it's clearly noted), and that if necessary, TN will enter into a formal written agreement with a state for reciprocity. IN doesn't require a formal reciprocity agreement, and chances are your LTCH is facially valid (right????), so you should be gtg.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You're ok in TN.

The wording IS confusing, though.

The wording is to the effect of: TN will enter into a formal reciprocal agreement should that other state require one.

There isn't any formal reciprocal agreement between IN and TN because neither state requires it.

But there IS reciprocity between the states. Just no formal agreement.

The law may very well have changed by now, but not that long ago, TN didn't allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Just FYI...

-J-

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    If you look near the bottom of the TN website that I added, it specifically does NOT list Indiana as a state with a reciprocity agreement.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you look near the bottom of the TN website that I added, it specifically does NOT list Indiana as a state with a reciprocity agreement.

Because neither state require a reciprocity "agreement". As in a "formal" written agreement between state governments.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

IN doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with TN because one is not necessary by our state to have reciprocity.

Eh, Indy_Guy beat me to it. :tantrum:

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I take item#1 in your referenced page to indicate that TN will honor valid out-of-state permits. I use Handgunlaw.us as a good reference guide which indicates the same. If NRA-ILA also indicates its ok, chances are good you are good.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have carried in KY and TN on my permit if it makes you feel better.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Be sure to read up on TN carry laws.

You may not currently carry into ANY place that serves alcohol there.

Also, if they post "No Guns", and you carry in anyway, you are in direct violation of the law.

Check for yourself, as there could be more landmines waiting for you.

Edit: You may also want to check whether Pigeon Forge (and any other localities you may visit) have their own carry rules that were enacted before the statewide preemption (April 8, 1986).

IANAL & YMMV

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I never had a problem in Kentucky and Tennessee, but no one can see my carry piece either.

BTW i love Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Great people and area. Very Military Friendly.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Thanks for the correction Monterey! Handgunlaw.us is updated with this info also. I go to TN a couple times a year and last I was there I had checked and restaurant carry was ok.

A great example of why to check every time.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    We travel to Pigeon Forge 2 times a year and I carry each time.. I have been pulled over twice and each time I informed the officer I was packing.. He ask to see my permit, I handed him my LTCH and that was the end of it.. Hell I got off with a warning each time.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

Don't go during the big car show meeting........ trust me.... I think that is in June though.

I love that knife store there :D

Top Bottom