• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have sciatic nerve pain on my right side that has been my constant companion for many years. I fell off a roof and landed on my back on the concrete steps. The x-rays at the time didn't show any damage, but I have suffered the effects everyday since. Some days a dull ache, some days the pain is nearly unbearable. I found that stretching does offer some relief most of the time.

More recently, I pinched a nerve in my right shoulder. Most days it feels like a bowling ball is wedged under my shoulder blade. Other days it hurts so bad that I swear someone is pulling my arm off. On those days, I am foggy headed and somewhat indecisive in my actions. My DR prescribed a course of steroids for the swelling. It really helped while I was on it, but returned shortly there after. I tried massage therapy which helped a little bit. The only thing that has really given me long term relief is stretching my shoulder every morning, a new mattress and pillow and making sure I limit my repetitive motions when I feel it acting up.

I feel for you man. I know how bad nerve pain can effect your life. My wife has fibromyalgia and some days she cannot even sit up in bed without nearly passing out from the pain. There is no cure for her and it is degenerative.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I’ve never heard of “traction” or “tens”.

Both awesome. I may have missed it if somebody else described them, but they are basically a scaled down taser. it uses pads to inject electrical current to muscles to cause them to spasm. (and eventually get exhausted so they relax, and also I think building strength a little to benefit in the long run) But it is VERY targeted and you control the output. Forget the bells and whistles. a TENS 5000 unit is all you need. (provided your chiro or doc think its appropriate for your case) This is the one I use for my back/neck pain and its awesome. Yes its only $20. But its VERY basic and all you really need. Works GREAT.
    https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Sour...ld=1&keywords=TENS+5000&qid=1608870817&sr=8-6
    Once again, dont use it without your medical provider's guidance because it can do more harm than good.

Another vote for a good chiro if the pinch is in the spinal column. Just beware of ones that push "Oh dear! You will need to come in for at LEAST a year, twice a week. No doubt about it!" Find one that follows YOU and YOUR progress. Both of the ones I have gone to have had a very hands off approach and I like them. The first was a little dire when I would put off treatment because I was busy ("...and THAT guy wouldnt have had to have me drive him to the ER instead of working on him if he had come to me sooner and kept up on his visits, because he got to the point I could no longer help him.") but he never insisted I needed to come regularly when I was showing progress. Just always week by week.

Could be as easy as your insurance company strong arms them over the MRI fees. If they seem to not want to give you one, ask them why.

My insurance isnt the greatest, but they do require me to use certain labs. If I use the mainstream hospital/major provider (IU Health, etc) imaging places my doctor would default to, I gotta pay the bill myself because they are too expensive. But if I go to the retail facilities like Methodist Sports Medicine they cover most of it. And its crazy. Its like $2,000 for a MRI at the hospital campus, but $5-700 cash price at MSM. I think my out of pocket was under $300 for my knee MRI.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yikes. The way she explained it seemed pretty accurate, but she did say if these injections didn’t help I would have to have imaging done to make sure there wasn’t something else causing the fog/dizzy symptoms. What did they end up doing for your grandma?

I didn't read the whole thread, but if you haven't had it imaged yet, I'd encourage you to get it done asap. Scream and yell if you have to. I had damage years ago that took me forever to therapy back from (still not there yet), that could have been avoided in this case if they just got steroids to it soon enough. Everybody wants to avoid the cost of imaging in favor of cheaper stuff up front, but you can get an MRI at Northwest Radiology in Indy for about $600. Pay it yourself if you have to. If you haven't had an MRI, they are just guessing.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I know chiropractors seem to be some sort of witch doctors to some but I have an old school, second generation one who can untwist knotted bowls and only charges $40 cash.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I know chiropractors seem to be some sort of witch doctors to some but I have an old school, second generation one who can untwist knotted bowls and only charges $40 cash.

I also had a great one but he passed on. I had been to three before him but he was the only one that really fixed the pain in my arm. Turned out it was from my neck, most just turn the neck and pop it but he actually spent time on my neck. Another nice thing, he charged whatever Medicare paid so never anything out of my pocket. Jim.

Top Bottom