• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Say you already have a 762 Saker and a 22 can. Now you want a pistol caliber can primarily for a 9mm AR. Which do you pick and why?

I was initially looking at a Mystic X. Now the Cosmic came out and would allow up to a 45 (even 458). Also the Silencerco Hybrid. I don't have any centerfire pistols with threaded barrels but that could easily be remedied. I shoot a lot of 40 and 45 but again the primary gun would be a 9mm AR. Do you get a dedicated 9 can or go for the multi cal type?

All my pistol ammo is coated lead so I'm not sure how that would do in a non serviceable can like the Hybrid.
    Being able to shoot larger calibers in the Cosmic would be nice but it scarifies on noise suppression. But if it's still hearing safe, I doubt I would care. Worst part is that you spend $1000 on the can and stamp and then still have to buy the mounts.
    I know there are a bunch more pistol can options but haven't looked too far into them. They would be smaller and lighter weight but how big of difference is that when the primary host is an AR. I like flexibility. I use the Saker more on my 223 rifles than the blackout.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I got the Osprey 9 because I only shoot 9 and its for dedicated HD pistols. I recommend anything by SilencerCo but there are other good brands out there. I think a 45 can is your best choice though since you'll be using it mostly on a carbine the extra length doesn't matter as much. The extra volume helps too but you'll be able to use it on all your guns. Some are even rated for 300 subs if you're into that.

Just looked at the Hybrid. Very nice and shorter or the same length as the 45 cans. At first glance, that looks like a great choice.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I went with a AAC Ti-Rant .45, and I'm pretty happy with it. They offer plenty of pistons for it, and it will fit on about any of my pistol caliber guns. My advice would be to get a bigger can than you think you need. A .45 can suppresses 9mm just fine, and is a lot more versatile.

If I was buying my first can at this point in the game, I think I'd go with the Hybrid or something similar. :twocents:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    My biggest concern with the hybrid is the diameter. I think even with suppressor sights it would be hard to see over the can.

I narrowed my hunt down to 3. AAC tirant, SiCo octane 45k and the dead air ghostm

I'm going with the GhostM. A lot comes down to the brand. I'm not sure where the quality is going with AAC now being owned by the Freedom Group.

Now where my thought process gets tricky. SiCo makes great products. The ghost and octane 45k are functionally pretty comparable. But after handling and shooting a dead air sandman L and after hours of researching deciding on the dead air mask 22 and that's why I chose dead air.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Freedom Group has owned AAC for a number of years now. They still produce a solid product, customer service has been inconsistent for me though.

I was torn between the Hybrid and the Ghost and I'm leaning towords the Hybrid. If you're worried about the diameter, I drew a mini sketch that showed the width of the 2 and the Hybrid really isn't that much larger. I'll run suppressor sights regardless and with Silencerco primarily marketing this as a 45 can, I'm sure they didn't make it fat enough where you can't see over the can with raised sights. The Hybrid being shorter is nice though, weight advantage to the Ghost though

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would love to hear a dead air sandman, and shoot one a bit. I have also been thinking of buying a Ghost and I already own a Mask.

That being said I really want to get my hands on a hybrid regardless of what other pistol can I may decide to buy.

AboveTheBest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Bloomington
    I'm giving serious thought to a YHM Sidewinder.

They seem to be competitive spec wise, and are around $200 cheaper than AAC/Silencerco depending on where you shop.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm really interested in the new Rugged Obsidian 45 can. The Youtube reviews I've seen have said that it was the quietest pistol can they've ever heard, that it's got a low db rating and a really pleasing tone.

Top Bottom