• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I’m going to be flying to Colorado later this year and am looking for some opinions on cases that are TSA approved. Looking at the Vaultek Lifepod as an option. I like that it would also serve as a bedside case during hotel stays (I have kids) but be fairly quick access. But it’s kind of expensive for a little plastic case. Would like to hear from others on what has worked well for them. Just needs to fit a compact or subcompact and a mag so would like to keep it fairly small to not take up much suitcase room.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    The only requirement is a hard sided lockable container. I've flown probably a dozen times with a glock box and a cable lock wrapped around the handle, never had a problem.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Yeah the lifepod is good with tsa. I didn’t really think about just using the case my Sig 938 came in. That could work and has a hole for locks on both sides. Generally once a pistol comes out of its original case, I don’t ever look at it again.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I use a lockable pelican case. Not cheap, but they work great and very solid.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZKEWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This one is not exactly small but I can fit both Sigs, mags, and a can or swap foam and take my 8" S&W 29-2.
    I chose a larger case to make it harder for it to disappear, and to take more with me.
    They definitely make smaller versions to meet your needs.

Just make sure the lock is NOT a TSA lock.

Edit: I just looked at the LifePod. Very nice case. Seems like that would be a great choice for a small go package.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I use a lockable pelican case. Not cheap, but they work great and very solid.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZKEWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This one is not exactly small but I can fit both Sigs, mags, and a can or swap foam and take my 8" S&W 29-2.
    I chose a larger case to make it harder for it to disappear, and to take more with me.
    They definitely make smaller versions to meet your needs.

Just make sure the lock is NOT a TSA lock.

Edit: I just looked at the LifePod. Very nice case. Seems like that would be a great choice for a small go package.

Harbor Freight Alternative to Pelican.

I have a couple of these in different sizes and they are well made.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    I’m going to be flying to Colorado later this year and am looking for some opinions on cases that are TSA approved. Looking at the Vaultek Lifepod as an option. I like that it would also serve as a bedside case during hotel stays (I have kids) but be fairly quick access. But it’s kind of expensive for a little plastic case. Would like to hear from others on what has worked well for them. Just needs to fit a compact or subcompact and a mag so would like to keep it fairly small to not take up much suitcase room.
    I have the xtra large Hornady Lock box. It’s steel, Holds my G48 and 2 mags. $28 at Amazon. To me an unbelievable steal.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a very bright orange lockable pelican case that fits in a small suitcase. I lock it with two locks and run a cable through the metal rods that telescopes for the pull handle. It has worked all over the U.S.A. and a few places outside the U.S.A. When I check the suitcase I tell the clerk there is a gun in it . They put a card in the suitcase and may or may not as to see it. Just find out the rules the airline you fly with have as they all have different rules.

Top Bottom