• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I have heard that they are legal as long as it came with a pistol grip from the factory and it is over 26 inches overall length. Has anyone seen an ATF decision on this? I was thinking something like a mossberg 500 cruiser.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    No its an AOW if the barrel is under 18" and has a pistol grip. $5 tax stamp to transfer but $200 to make on a form 1

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    No its an AOW if the barrel is under 16" and has a pistol grip. $5 tax stamp to transfer but $200 to make on a form 1

The kicker being: It can't ever have had a shoulder stock on it (or at least not one factory installed - wink wink)

If a stock has been on it, it cannot legally be converted to an AOW in Indiana, because, due to the stock having been on it, it'd be making it into an SBS - and those are illegal in IN.

Clear as mud?

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    No its an AOW if the barrel is under 16" and has a pistol grip. $5 tax stamp to transfer but $200 to make on a form 1

I believe it is 18 inch for a shotgun to be classified as either an AOW or and SBS depending on configuration. Less than 16 inch for rifles to be classified as SBR.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    What I have heard is as long as it came as a pistol grip then its is classifed as other, firearm and can have a barrel less then 18 inches and still be title 1 as long as its is over 26 inches

edeekeos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, to fkin bad we can't owe one of these..

url

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What I have heard is as long as it came as a pistol grip then its is classifed as other, firearm and can have a barrel less then 18 inches and still be title 1 as long as its is over 26 inches

Nope. Either the barrel length less than 18" or overall less than 26" make it an AOW.

As noted, ever having had a stock with either of the above would be a prohibited SBS.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    the letter says that it is not an AOW but a title 1 firearm and not controlled by the NFA as long as its over 26 inches oal the barrel can be less then 18 inches.

I think you've assumed quite a bit more than what was actually written in that letter.

And it is just a letter, which can be (or may have already been) overturned by any other opinion on the same letterhead.

Pretty shaky ground to attempt any standing on the matter.

ETA: Just read second letter. More details in that one, but still shaky ground to get around an AOW designation IMO.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I found another one that says close to the same thing but also says that if it came from the factory as a pistol grip then it is not considered a shotgun so the 18 barrel rule doesn't apply to it just the 26 oal rule.
    http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/PistolGrippedShotgunLike.pdf

Short barreled shotguns (SBSs)—this category is defined similarly to SBRs, but the barrel must be under 18" or a minimum overall length under 26". and the barrel must be a smoothbore.

Any Other Weapons (AOWs)—this is a broad "catch-all" category used to regulate any number of firearms which the BATFE under the NFA enforces registration and taxation. Examples include, among others:
    1) Smooth-bore pistols 2) Pen guns and cane guns 3) A firearm with combinations smooth bore and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single shot can be made from either barrel. 4) Disguised firearms 5) Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or a briefcase 6) A short-barreled shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip and no buttstock is categorized as an AOW (smooth-bore pistol) rather than a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS), because the Gun Control Act describes a shotgun as, "…designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder…" 7) Handguns with a forward vertical grip.
    Highlighted for your convenience.

If you insist on interpreting the law in your favor, feel free to hack the barrel off that Mossberg Persuader and remember to post an AAR from FPMITAP.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I was't trying to start a fight I just liked the Idea and started to do some digging. I talked to some SOTs and looked on the net and it just seemed like one big gray area. I just didn't want to pay $200 for a AOW when I couldn't really find one like I wanted anyway since most of the aow only hold 2 or 3 shells. I didn't think I was interpreting it I was just reading what they wrote and repeating it. If we could get rid of the silly no SBS laws all would be well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom