• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bm12171

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Indiana
    What would be the best 'first' purchase for me (a woman) who has no shooting experience in over 30+ years. Would like one for protection, but do not want to carry this with me; also want one to protect my many animals on my new found love a animal caretaking of mini donkeys, chickens and meat rabbits. Being over 40, married, daughter off and recently married, want to make changes in my life and one is to be able to start hunting and provide food for myself in this economy which is dwindling. any insights are very helpful. Thanks

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Definitely a nice .22 rifle. I suggest a used Marlin 60 or if you aren't afraid of the older stuff (and don't mind waiting to find one) a Stevens 87b. Both are tube fed and nearly indestructible. Accurate too. The older the 87b, the better!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would get a ruger 10/22. Great all around rifle, easy recoil, and a great platform for a new shooter. You can hunt squirell and rabbit, and still able to put down possum, coon, and even fox.

For a handgun, a revolver is a good platform to learn with. Reliable and easy to operate, a 357 loaded with 38 will provide little recoil and can be used for ccw later on with ease. A good quality +p round will be all the protection you need.

Once you become more comfortable with firearms, you will learn what you like and pick up some other hunting firearms (shotguns, muzzys, rifle). Take it slow and be safe.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A 22 rifle (Ruger 10/22, Savage or CZ bolt action or a Marlin 39A lever action) or a 357 Magnum revolver (S&W 19,66, 686, etc) would be my suggestions. The rifle for hunting, plinking or HD and the revolver for practice (38s), HD and personal protection. :twocents:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Ruger 10/22 is a winner. But, you could also buy a nice pellet gun, like the Gamo Bull Whisper I saw at walmart for $150 the other day. Either way shooting will be very accurate at short distances, and not cost a lot for ammo, plus you can kill varmints.

A 9mm pistol or .38 revolver would be good for self defense. Frankly, it takes years of practice to get good with a handgun and to find the right handgun to carry. That's why we recommend starting with a rifle. Rifles are really easy to shoot.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    If you want to try some different rifles/pistols i have a few 22 rifles and bigger some nice 22 pistols and other larger calibers. I shoot in Elwood at least once a month. Pm if you are interested

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Yes the 10/22 is the perfect starter rifle. But for a multipurpose gun for hunting and protection, I'd recommend a 20ga shotgun.
    Everyone has specific valid points in their suggestions. For the money, and the utility, you just can't beat a shotgun.
    Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'd get a 20g pump shotgun for immediate needs, and a .22 rifle next, and then maybe another better .22 rifle or a revolver in .357 Mag....but that's just me.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Do you know anyone who could let you try a few things out first? Even if you aren't interested in a pistol I would recommend taking an NRA basic pistol class, you'll learn a lot that applies to all firearms.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Do you know anyone who could let you try a few things out first? Even if you aren't interested in a pistol I would recommend taking an NRA basic pistol class, you'll learn a lot that applies to all firearms.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Also take an INGO member up on an offer to try a few different guns. There is no better way to find a gun.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    While a .22 is a great starter and training cartridge and I would definitely suggest a rifle over a handgun, I think you may find a .22Mag or 17HMR would cover your bases a little better if you are only planning on having a single firearm. While the ammo is certainly more expensive than .22LR @ $12/50rds vs $3/50rds (quality ammo) it is not as expensive as centerfire cartridges like the .223 yet offers a significant upgrade in addressing predators like coyotes or foxes (and even wild dogs, should the need arise in regards to the livestock.)

Another good option (although even more expensive to purchase and shoot) would be something along the lines of a .357 carbine. While easy to handle, it will readily handle dear-sized game and can readily dispatch any predators likely to be encountered in Indiana.

That being said, my preferred advice would be two similar firearms (so handling characteristics are shared) with one being a .22lr, as the affordability of inexpensive practive ammo (frequently <$25/500rds) tends to lead towards more practice and greater overall proficiency.

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I agree a rife over a hand gun first a.22 is great to start with. it was the first gun i shot fun to shoot i still shot one today

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Im with voodoo304. I think for the value the 20 gauge is the way to go. Good home defense gun, can hunt anything from small game to deer with it. Plus being a inexperienced shooter and not sure how remote you live .22's are prone to ricochets and can travel for over a mile. Just my opinion.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Ruger semi auto, Savage or CZ bolt action or a Marlin 39A lever action are very good choices and would allow you to shoot more because it's less costly, but a good 20 gauge semi auto or pump shotgun would fit all the requirements of hunting and defense of person and livestock.:twocents:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Can't beat a Ruger 1022 if you go with a .22 cal rifle. You can hunt small game with it, it could be used for home defense, and the price of ammunition for it will make it the most inexpensive gun you can shoot by far. You will need practice, and almost any gun other than a .22 caliber will be expensive to shoot a lot, and you need to shoot a lot to get good. If you want to shoot larger game like Deer there are lots of options that are not real expensive. I recommend not getting a single shot anything because it would not be good for home defense. Even if you get a larger gun later, you will always have a use for a .22 caliber rifle, and the Ruger 1022 is one of the best.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'm sure the 10-22 is a fine rife but it has been my experience that the Marlin 60 is a really reliable and straight shooting .22 for a good deal less. I also hear a lot of good things about the savage 22.

Top Bottom