• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Need some help. After what seems like (it probably has been) hours each day trying to find an answer I am just as lost as before I started. I do not expect a miracle here and I know everyone is different, but is there a "good" powder that is suitable for 9mm, 40SW, and 45acp?

By good I don't mean that it functions, but more does it function well. I have run across a few that will do 2 of the 3 sizes well, but marginal on a 3rd. I am going to start the reloading process and to help keep inventory down, 1 powder would be nice. But even in the long run it would be nice.

So what is your powder of choice and what are its pros/cons in each of the 3 calibers? FWIW-looks like Hodgdon Standard Clays may be the best option for me. Even though it seems to suffer in the 9mm (no personal data to back this up).

Edit:Primarily target loads-possibly GSSF or steel, prefer smaller powder to minimize any chance of powder measure issues, bullet type will possibly vary with FMJ, JHP, plated, jacketed.

I did look at HS-6 but leaned toward the Clays due to using less. I am anal retentive so double charging isn't an issue (always a concern, though)

Hodgdon Titegroup is all I use for my STI .40, M&P Pro .40 and my STI Single Stack 9mm.
    You can get an 8 lb Keg at Indiana Gun Club for 120$

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I'm not trying to jack this thead, but I have a question along the same line as the OP.

I'm just getting ready to start reloading, and I'll be loading 9mm and .40 S&W also, along with .38/.357. I thought (well... I've read...) that Unique was very similar to Clays Universal, but nobody has mentioned Universal as an option for these calibers in this thread. Is there a particular reason for this, or is it that Unique is just more popular?
    ---
    GB!

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I love me my Titegroup. Had some issues with ZIP in my 9mm loads, didn't have enough kick to cycle the action. So I switched to Titegroup and couldn't be happier. I also tried Bullseye in 9mm and still use it in 45 and find it to be a similar feeling in recoil compared to Titegroup in 9mm. So, my vote goes for Titegroup.

CW White

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Tippecanoe County
    I've been reloading since 1979. I have about 40# of assorted powders, but when it was time to buy a 12# bottle, I chose Unique. It seems to have published loads for most of my pistol calibers (.380, 9mm, .38 Spl., .357 Mag., .40 S&W, and .45 acp) for a variety bullet types and weights. As mentioned above, it is a little dirty, but I have never had a mis-function because of that. And, smokeless is a relative term. It is nothing like BP, but if I were doing sneaking shooting, I would use a cleaner powder.

I have a friend that uses it in his SG reloads.

A few years ago, I bought 4# of AL 120. It was the cleanest I have ever shot, and gave great .45 acp loads, but alas with many things it gave out about 3 years ago.

Top Bottom