Pistol range when living a stone throw from the city limit line and a hospital?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I might be moving in the next few months to a house that is technically outside of city limits and near our new hospital (Within a mile, I can see it from the property).

Now, being outside of city limits I am under the assumption that it's perfectly legal to safely shoot on my own property if I wish to do so.

Are there any special considerations when you're just outside of the official city limit border and near a hospital? Are there any weird 'buffer zones' or laws regarding gun fire under emergency flight paths for helicopters and what not?

The idea is I'll build as big of a berm as possible for a safe backstop. I won't be worried about bullets leaving the property and safety for myself and others is my number one concern... I just figure I'll get some visits from the Sheriff’s Department if visitors or patients at the hospital can hear gun fire from my at-home range... That's my main concern. But once again, technically I'd be outside of city limits...

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    There are buffer zones around cities but not sure how much they apply. We live just outside of a town...in another county than it is. But when we want to apply for a building permit, the city we're closest too has a 'say' in what we do as they have a 5 mile buffer zone around the city. That's for building permits...not sure about what you're talking about though.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Which side of 400N is the house on? :) Lots of farm land on the north side, south side is more neck to neck houses. House on the corner of Graham and highway 62 is former LEO.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    With preemption can they even say anything about it? We're not even close to town so I've never looked into it.

I don't think preemption covers the discharge of a firearm, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, even after the preemption laws, it is still illegal to discharge a firearm in Indianapolis.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The local Sportsman's Club I shoot at borders on a Retirement Home on the North and a Middle School on the West side it is just outside of the city limits...I've never even heard of a problem.

Legally you may not have an issue, it doesn't mean you might have a chicken little nearby who will try to make your life miserable.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Counties and sometimes Townships pass ordinances too. Check them. Restrictive covenants? (I hope not...you're smarter than that, aren't you?)

All this assumes an undoubtedly safe backstop. Better yet if your shooting is shielded from prying eyes.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Which side of 400N is the house on? :) Lots of farm land on the north side, south side is more neck to neck houses. House on the corner of Graham and highway 62 is former LEO.

Ha. It's on old SR 62.

Row of trees between the place I want to put the 'range' and my nearest neighbor to the left. To the right would be the house blocking view from the nearest neighbor to the right.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Ha. It's on old SR 62.

Row of trees between the place I want to put the 'range' and my nearest neighbor to the left. To the right would be the house blocking view from the nearest neighbor to the right.

Nice, same difference though. You're fairly close to the grade school over there but old 62 is far enough that you should be ok. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you have more than ample of a backstop.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    As another user said just because it is legal, it doesn't mean you should do it. Sure it would be nice to shoot whenever you want and not have to pay any range fees, but you neighbors might have the police department at your house frequently. Not worth all the hassle.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Danville Conservation Club property abuts the Hendricks Regional Health property, and a retirement home. I'm sure the rules are different for a not-for-profit inside town limits, but that pretty much negates noise and safety issues.

I'm sure there are other things you can do to reduce noise levels, if that is an issue.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Common sense comes into play here as well. I shoot at my house often, calibers across the board. I do it safely and not real early in the morning or after dark. My neighbors did shoot past dark a couple times but it didn't bother me. Also the Golden rule comes to mind, if society followed this more again we would all be better off. A friend of mine lived on old 62 for a bit years ago and we shot there off and on. Rifles are a lot louder than pistols, so I try to mainly shoot pistols if I know my neighbors are home. And I don't shoot if they're having a party outside or something of the like. Common sense.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Common sense comes into play here as well. I shoot at my house often, calibers across the board. I do it safely and not real early in the morning or after dark. My neighbors did shoot past dark a couple times but it didn't bother me. Also the Golden rule comes to mind, if society followed this more again we would all be better off. A friend of mine lived on old 62 for a bit years ago and we shot there off and on. Rifles are a lot louder than pistols, so I try to mainly shoot pistols if I know my neighbors are home. And I don't shoot if they're having a party outside or something of the like. Common sense.

Yep.

I doubt I'd be shooting before noon or or after normal 'business hours'.

We're going to 12 hour shifts at the prison so I'll be working two days, off three days, working three days, off two days. Lot of free time during the day and during normal 'business hours' in the work week where hopefully neighbors will be at work so I don't disturb them.

I'm still not dead set on moving out there, but if I do, I may all mail them a little something with my name and number after I get the 'range' built.

Either way, it's still a good excuse to start a stamp collection and start buying some cans so I can be quieter :)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Yep.

I doubt I'd be shooting before noon or or after normal 'business hours'.

We're going to 12 hour shifts at the prison so I'll be working two days, off three days, working three days, off two days. Lot of free time during the day and during normal 'business hours' in the work week where hopefully neighbors will be at work so I don't disturb them.

I'm still not dead set on moving out there, but if I do, I may all mail them a little something with my name and number after I get the 'range' built.

Either way, it's still a good excuse to start a stamp collection and start buying some cans so I can be quieter :)

You could go door to door and introduce yourself after you get moved. Wear a S&W or Ruger hat (something easily recognized by anyone) or a polo with logo and invite them to a weekend cookout. Those that are shooters will perk right up and probably be happy to show up. Those that recognize the logo and are opposed to it will most likely decline with no hurt feelings. You can feel any others out during the cookout. Wheat from the chaff peacefully and everyone gets a chance to get to know one another.

Top Bottom